GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Beta > Beta Theta Pi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,182
2 members and 1,180 guests
No Members online

Old 06-07-2005, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to a.e.B.O.T.
deactivating

Last edited by a.e.B.O.T.; 08-11-2005 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Bro., first and foremost, don't quit because of someone elses perception of your chapter. It doesn't matter what the other greeks think, it doesn't matter what some of your idiot alumni think, it only matters what you and your chapter think.

Grades will come around, trust me - but you guys need to realize that you are at school for school, not Beta. Beta should always come second to your academics. You have your whole life ahead of you to be a great Beta, you only have a few years to get your degree.

Alumni - it is important that you respect them, HOWEVER, in order to get respect, one must give. If they don't respect you, your house rules, your new chapter and its direction, how your run the chapter today...etc., ask them kindly to leave - don't forget, those are the guys that had your chapter shut down in the first place, and do not deserve to be your mentors. It is crucial that you are selective in who you take advice from in terms of alumni, as not all of your alumni are asses. Also, don't forget to treat the alumni how you want to be treated when you become an alumni.

As for your Exec. Board and their decisions - you must have faith in them. Likely, they won't steer the chapter in the wrong direction. They generally don't have any power to do big things, it must be passed by the chapter. Stand up for the good, make your points, but if your points/motions don't pass, you still have to support the chapter - it is your duty, even if some wrong decisions are made, its still your duty to try and make things right.

Stick it out. It may be tough. But Beta is a lot more than just 4 years of your life. We are a band of 100,000 living Betas, not just one chapter.

Best of luck, keep us updated. Hold your head high, you're one of the best; you're a Beta!

-kai-
Old 06-08-2005, 03:05 AM
GreekChat Member

thanks, I appreciate that post alot

but I dont feel like a member of my chapter. Its like, I dont fit. Im just one of the numbers they brought in to make a good FF Class. I cant ask my parents to pay money for something that I can tell them why Im doing it and then to that extent... I dont know what this whole fraternal brotherhood thing is about, it just seems like all im getting from this is something on my resume. Im not making friends with my brothers, because they are all close friends before Beta. I feel like the bitch, you know?

I dont know if its worth all this money when I cant even think of a reason why Im doing it, except I love what 8 guys started 166 years ago...

P.S. is beta and 'sheep' a national thing, or just my school?
Old 06-08-2005, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, that is what makes greek orgs. unique - they are usually well diversified in race, religion, culture, groups of friends...etc. My chapter at biggest was about 60 guys, we had clicks. Our chapter today is about 25 guys, it still has clicks. No matter what group you belong to, it will have its inner circle of friends that hang together - nothing wrong with that, but it can be difficult to deal with. Is it fair that you feel that way? No, but unfortunately that is how it is....and you need to choose whether or not the big picture of Beta (all 166 years of us) is worth sticking around for - or if a few of those inner-circled guys are going to ruin your Beta Experience?

I'd hope you stick it out. You don't have to have best friends in Beta, hell, your best friend my be a Sigma Chi...it doesn't matter. One of my best friends is a Phi Delt, and I make sure to point out to him EVERYTIME that we were founded 9 years earlier than them. So, don't think that Beta has to be 100% your life.

Look at it this way, put into it what you want back. If you have some guys that push you away, its still ok (not for them to do it, but for you to make some distance if it makes you feel more comfortable), thats ok too. I have some great Beta alumni from my chapter that weren't very active as an undergrad. They're great Beta's today for that. I also know some Beta's that were complete studs while an undergrad (Student Gov. Pres, Beta Pres, MOP attendees...etc.), and now they're burned out and we don't hear from them.

Don't make any rash decisions. Try to man-up with some of those guys and just say "lay off man, we're bro's". Beta is much more than just your campus, we are everywhere. Imagine when your 60 at your grand kids soccer game, and the ref. is wearing a Beta Hat - you quit today, you wouldn't be able to relate to this kid as I think you'd want to. I feel your dedication and I know you don't want to quit - don't do it. Beta is a good thing.

PS, never heard of Sheep/Beta. Maybe this has something to do with past traditions of your chapter?!?!
Old 06-08-2005, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
Beta is what we make it.

My advice is that if you don't like what is happening now, change it. Be more active in recruitment and the like. When I pledged Beta my chapter had just undergone re-org and had about 15 guys. My pledge class basically turned Beta into what it is today on this campus. We have one of the largest and by far the strongest brotherhoods here. I still see a lot of room for improvement and I constantly work for that.

While it does suck that you can't enjoy the fraternity experience to the fullest right now, you still have two years left and can make a difference and see what it's all about.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

its too much money.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Curiously, what is your semesterly cost, and what does it get you?
Old 06-10-2005, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

500 a semester... what it gets us... well most of it goes to Recruitment and other fees for office stuff etc... It gets one formal a year, and 450 buck for the VP to arrange brotherhood events, money for a philanthropy event: a Betas with Balls Dodgeball Tourney... and thats about it
Old 06-10-2005, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I am not sure what to tell you. Beta gets better for me every day. I paid $250 a semester when I was an undergrad, worth every penny for me. I know some houses charge 10 times that, but it includes a room in the house and a meal plan. A chapter cannot operate without a proper budget, so $500 a semester to cover social events, brotherhood events, a formal (that's nice) and other misc. budgets, is pretty nice.

I just hope you don't make a decision now that you may regret later.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

what I mean by expensive is not that its not worth it... its that I really dont have it, nor do my rents
Old 06-10-2005, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Gotcha - have you looked into any local scholarships, or Beta scholarships, or anything that may be tied to your Alumni Association?
Old 06-10-2005, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah, but there all extremely competitive
Old 06-10-2005, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
I pay something like 2800 a semester, and that does not include formals, or date parties, alumni events etc.

If it's purely a money thing, get a job. I work almost full time so I have enough to cover it.

I can't argue to change your mind, but it seems to me that you haven't made an effort to get to know everyone in your chapter or there are other things involved that aren't being said.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:44 AM
GreekChat Member

no one can argue that I havent made an effort... im just not a people person i think... in regards to a job, i have a full time job, but im paying tuition (30,000 a year)
Old 07-05-2005, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I think your original post hit home for me. Our "colony" currently has 24 members. Our group is a different type of guy compared to the other fraternities on our campus because they all like to relive the "Animal House" stereotype. It is difficult at times to imagine why someone would join an organization and not put forth any effort. But, speaking from personal experience, I think you should stick with it. Now that I'm an alumni/advisor for my chapter, I see now that some of the these guys helped me make through two very rough years of my life. I sincerely don't know what I would do if I didn't have them. Now, I'm not saying that you have to get along with all of your brothers. Hell, I have four biological brothers and we fight constantly and are as different as the seasons. But, the same can be said for my fraternal brothers. I don't necessarily get along with them, but I do accept them for who they are (flaws and all). I also agree with the concept of a positive attitude and not allowing others to skew my view of something so great.

I am sure that it will get better for you. Keep your spirits up and feel free to speak to any of us if you need to vent.

Remember: ___ kai ___ * * *

"There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes his way alone;
All that we send into the lives of others, Comes back into our own."
~ Edwin Markham