GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,066
3 members and 2,063 guests
flirt5721, JayhawkAOII

Old 03-20-2007, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Question about attire for recruitment

I have some questions about what to wear for rush.

1. Does it really matter where I get my attire from? I mean I usually get my clothes from JcPenney, Old Navy, and such. I really can't afford the "high end" apparel, like Ann Taylor. I have read your post about some of you not liking Target's clothing. I understand, but I'm intimidated by that. I'm trying to be on a budget with my clothes. Would an Old Navy dress work fine as long as it flatters me?

2. On Skit day, it said dressier than Video Day. Would a business suit work out?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-20-2007, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

A lot of it will depend on where you are going to school.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

At my school, here was the attire for the week:
Open House: sundresses, casual slacks and tops, capris
Philanthropy night: recruitment t-shirt or short-sleeved t-shirt and shorts
Invitational Night: sundresses/casual dresses, skirts, pantsuits
Preference Night: the website says dresses, and most of the girls wear little black dresses.
I don't think brand names played a huge part in recruitment, but again it depends on your school. There might be a house or two that looks for those, but my sisters and I compare our fake Gucci handbags for fun

We're the girls who wear the pearls
You can't beat those sexy squirrels!

GreekChat Member

I can't really imagine a business suit being appropriate for rush.
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
I can't really imagine a business suit being appropriate for rush.
Cosign. A business suit might be a little too uptight for rush.

We're the girls who wear the pearls
You can't beat those sexy squirrels!

Old 03-20-2007, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

A resale shop is a great place to get higher-end clothing for a fraction of its original price. You won't get cutting edge fashion, but you should be able to find nice clothes that reflect your real style and personality, which is what any GLO worth joining should be most interested in.
Whatever you get, make sure it fits, is well-made, and comfortable. HTH -
Old 03-20-2007, 10:07 PM

It doesn't matter where your clothes come from as long as they look good on you.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBabygirl10 View Post

-UGGs/Heels, leggings, long dressy shirt with a big belt
Oh, dear.

No offense to you or your school, Pink, I just can't believe these are back in fashion. That was one trend I thought was dead for good.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Don't wear a business suit. Check with the Office of Greek Life at your school regarding appropriate attire. Generally, recruitment gets progressively dressier, so think about wearing sundresses and then something you might wear to a graduation ceremony or nice dinner-type event for video/skit day and prefs. As long as you look your personal best and your clothes fit you well (remember: you are dressing for the girls, not boys!), it doesn't matter if your clothes come from Banana Republic or Old Navy. See if your parents will pitch in at all for one nice dress that you can wear again, though. And check out summer sales at the department stores. It is amazing what you can find on sale! Best of luck at recruitment!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

business attire will NOT be appropriate for npc recruitment.

it will be much more important to look good, well put together and well groomed than it will to have all designer duds.

as for clothing from target, i have a friend who has several of the isaac mizrahi outfits and shoes from target and she always looks fabulous when she wears them. trust me, this is a lady who can shop absolutely anywhere she wants-saks, niemann marcus, private designer shops in town. she just knows what flatters her and how to put an entire outfit together. invest in a few trendy magazines-often they will show a designer outfit on one page and will show how to copy the look at a fraction of the price.

you don't have to buy all new clothes-you are meeting these people for the first time during recruitment, so unless your clothes are faded and worn and your shoes are dirty and scuffed, they won't know that your outfits are not new. if you think that all new clothes would make you feel more confident, then pace yourself-buy one outfit or item now, another next month, etc. instead of waiting until right before recruitment to buy all your clothes. look for sales.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Oh, dear.

No offense to you or your school, Pink, I just can't believe these are back in fashion. That was one trend I thought was dead for good.
That was my first thought as well.

Hello 80s.

I think one of the new sundresses that Old Navy is offering would be appropriate...

http://www.oldnavy.com/Asset_Archive...1-01p01v01.jpg

http://www.oldnavy.com/Asset_Archive...1-00p01v01.jpg

http://www.oldnavy.com/Asset_Archive...0-00p01v01.jpg

http://www.oldnavy.com/Asset_Archive...05971odv01.jpg

The only way I can see brand names coming up in (polite, rush appropriate) conversation is "Hey - great dress, where'd you get it?". And then, they've already admitted they liked it, no matter where it came from, so they'd look pretty snobby turning their noses up at it at that point. Other then that, the only other way they're even going to know it's from Old Navy is if they shop there themselves.

Last edited by PenguinTrax; 03-21-2007 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Please do not hot link to images hosted elsewhere. See Forum Rules.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Wear something YOU feel comfortable in. Personal style always scores points during rush because we want to see what you can bring to our chapter and there is no better way to do this than wearing something that you feel great and confident in. Business suits are nice, but you dont necessarily want to wear one during rush, save it for a job interview later on. Just be yourself and follow the guidelines that the rush coordinators have given you. Cute little dresses always work. Brands dont matter as long as you look well put together and clean. Oh, and don't forget your smile!
Old 03-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

thanks to alphafrog for posting those dresses. in my book, three of those dresses could possibly work, depending on your campus and your personal style and look:

dress #1-cute, can't really tell much about the fabric. that style of dress with a little bit dressier fabric might work for prefs. the shoes are definately "what not to wear" with that dress!! strappy, heeled sandals would look much better.

dress #2 a little bohemian but with flair. a pretty dress;worn with some flat, strappy sandals this could be a great outfit. if you are petite this might not be the dress for you, due to the large print and the length, but try it on before you make a decision.

dress #3-too earth mother/1960's for my taste. fabric looks kind of cheap. cheap fabric can do a lot to give away the cost of an outfit. the dress doesn't seem to fit the model well under the arms. no matter what, make sure your clothes fit properly-even if you have to alter them a bit once you get them home.

dress #4-darling!! just make sure that the tops fits and covers you properly!!

my daughter is home for spring break and we were doing some clothes shopping. another girl was trying on a sundress while my daughter was in the dressing room. daughter said that the girl was quite well endowed and the dress did not cover her properly. both the girls mom and the sales lady were raving that the dress looked terrific on her-my daughter told me later that it did not flatter the girl at all. luckily the girl took a good long look in the mirror and decided that it was not the dress for her. so go with your instincts, don't let any sales lady talk you into buying something you know does not look good!!

Last edited by FSUZeta; 03-21-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice, guys.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

For my school (West Coast), we say business casual, so something you would wear to an interview, but not a business suit. A nice top - with sleeves, no spagetti straps or strapless unless it's Pref night - and skirt or pants.

When I went through recruitment, I usually wore a sweater and either nice pants or a skirt, and always got compliments on my clothing (which I bought from places like JC Pennys-love them!- and Mervyns). As long as you look well put together and neat, you'll be fine.