GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,622
2 members and 1,620 guests
Sarak24034

Old 08-25-2005, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Spirit/Morale?

Anybody have any great ideas to boost spirit/morale that have worked for you chapter? Our numbers are low this semester, and a lot of girls are feeling down, so anything you can come up with i'm sure will help! Thanks
Old 08-26-2005, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

We do little things (passing around candy during chapter as a reward for our semester GPA) and bigger things like surprise sister events. (Last semester we had a surprise event... everyone showed up for chapter and instead the chapter paid for all of us to go see a movie together!) I'm sure there's more but it's late!
Old 08-26-2005, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Focus on sisterhood

Kappameg,

What you do probably depends on the specifics of the situation. It sounds like your morale issue is related to feeling small so I'm going to assume that either the members are feeling overwhelmed and burned-out with responsibilities because you have a small chapter, or you are feeling bummed about recruitment because you are not as big as other houses at your college.

If this is a burnout issue, two things will help. The first is to scale back what you do. If that means participating in less organizations philanthropies or scalling back an event or to - do it. Don't think of it as dropping events - think of this as prioritizing your time. The second thing to do is focus on sisterhood. Have a sisterhood retreat, have a sleepover night at the house, or just order pizza and do dinner together. If you have campus events that you usually pair with other organizations, see about doing them alone as a chapter instead. All work and no play makes Jane a dull Kappa - be sure to get the sisterhood connection back in membership. Rather than small being a disadvantage - here it is an advantage. You'll have an easier time building a close chapter with fewer members.

If this is a pre-rush morale thing - focus on a positive attitude going into recruitment. A story from a time when my chapter was smaller is they had only 14 girls going into one recruitment - much smaller than the other chapters who had 50! To make themselves appear larger, they all wore letters every single day before recruitment (about a month). Every night they met at the house, did a big load of laundry, and swapped letter shirts so they didn't have to wear the same clothes every day. To the potential members they assumed our house was huge - everywhere they went they saw our letters! That year they took 16 new members, more pledges than sisters. And there is always COB which should not be seen as "second place" - you can use it as an opportunity to reach out to people who are great campus leaders but for whatever reason avoided NPC recruitment. Quality really is more important than quantity - I joined my chapter while we were still "growing" - the chapter is now the largest, has the highest GPA, wins the most awards, and is definately one of the top greek organizations on campus.

Good luck!
Paula
Old 08-26-2005, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks so much!!! those are really great ideas!
Old 09-04-2005, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I love all the suggestions so far!
I would add:

Have bring-a-friend movie nights at the house on a regular basis where a movie is rented and you all hang out. It will help others get to know you in a more relaxed atmosphere while lifting your spirits.

Do "library drops" where your scholarship chair visits campus libraries and if she sees any kappa studying there, she gives you a bag of candy. It is encouraging and shows others that academics are important to kappa!

Host a massage evening. Contract a massage therapist to come out to the house for a few hours where everyone gets a good 10 minute slot. Follow it with a spa evening full of mani/pedicures, facials, and more. It is so much easier to wait for a facial to do its work if you have friends to talk to.

Hope this helps!