GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,768
1 members and 1,767 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 08-07-2007, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehouse View Post
Here are some photos of our house. Please just ignore the top of the page and scroll down.

http://www.fsupikes.com/brothers.htm
How much does it cost to live in the house?

Would you like a Cleveland Steamer or Alabama Hot Pocket with your Blumpkin?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
How much does it cost to live in the house?
I'm sure it's INSANE!!!
Old 08-07-2007, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure of the rent; it's $500+ per month. It's competitive with other private student housing in Tallahassee.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

That's not bad, it's like renting an apartment. Is there a cook/maid?
Old 08-07-2007, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZK761 Send a message via MSN to ZK761 Send a message via Yahoo to ZK761
Quote:
I'm not sure of the rent; it's $500+ per month. It's competitive with other private student housing in Tallahassee.
Is it $500 per person or suite?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
$500/month doesn't seem bad at all. My sorority house was a little more than $3,000/semester and NOTHING like the new Pike house!
Old 08-07-2007, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Not sure I'm too keen on that house. It's so big it just looks homely and unpersonal, like an office building. Why do you need 40,000 square feet for for 32 rooms? Not trying to be an asshole, just seems kind of unnecessary. I dunno, maybe I just like a more classic look. Also, there's something about feeling like you are living in a fraternity house that I just can't see happening there. I'd feel like I was living in an apartment.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
Not sure I'm too keen on that house. It's so big it just looks homely and unpersonal, like an office building. Why do you need 40,000 square feet for for 32 rooms? Not trying to be an asshole, just seems kind of unnecessary. I dunno, maybe I just like a more classic look. Also, there's something about feeling like you are living in a fraternity house that I just can't see happening there. I'd feel like I was living in an apartment.
I think it is a great looking house, but I agree with Macallan that it could be a little apartment like. I suites sound great, but I guess I question why each suite needs it's own kitchen. Part of the bonding that you do in the house is during meals, but if everyone is eating in their own suite, then doesn't the house just turn into a Pike Apartment complex?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
Quote:
Here are some photos of our house. Please just ignore the top of the page and scroll down.

http://www.fsupikes.com/brothers.htm

holy *$%&
Old 08-07-2007, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
That thing coulda easily housed over 100 if they had wanted to. That's the one thing I dont understand, why house such a small part of such a huge chapter?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditone View Post
That thing coulda easily housed over 100 if they had wanted to. That's the one thing I dont understand, why house such a small part of such a huge chapter?
I see what you are saying, although I have seen plenty of chapters (including some down here) that will only house certain class or classes (meaning only sophmores and juniors live in, or just juniors, etc.)
Old 08-07-2007, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

About the Florida State Pike house:
I think a lot of your comments about being like an apartment complex are valid, but just like you we are trying to succeed in context of our particular campus and community. Tallahassee is not a large town, but we have over 70,000 college students, almost all of them from out-of-town. They tend to be from above average or well-to-do families and the great majority of "greek" types grew up with their own room and their own bathroom at home. They expect the same in college, and so legions of developers build sprawling, luxury student housing comlexes. It's Florida, so the demand for pools and sand volleyball and tennis courts is great.

Pike, Lambda Chi and Phi Delt all built houses at the same time and we all designed a profile that would attract the typical student renter here. In order to get bank financing we had to show that we could attract renters. Someone wondered how the 40,000 square feet were alocated. I'd say 80% of the space is in the rooms; the individual rooms are generous and luxurious, but they aren't out of line with the Tallahassee market.

Not everyone is the same. The Delts are very good here, and they have a small-but-good-looking house on campus that they just rennovated. It doesn't house many and they have no parking, but they are a large, good fraternity.

I agree that it's a challenge to keep the brotherhood fresh in a 190-man chapter where 60 live in the house and no one has to leave his room. But, we've made it work and so have the Lambda Chis and Phi Delts. Fraternity food plans are not popular here, although the Lambda chis do require some meals in-house.

The bottom line I suppose is the quality of the experience. based on the alumni loyalty and popularity of fraternities here I'd say the quality is excellent.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The bottom line I suppose is the quality of the experience. based on the alumni loyalty and popularity of fraternities here I'd say the quality is excellent.
I would seriously have to agree! You seem to have an intensely loyal group of alums and that is an incredible asset. Whatever works for your chapter is best. Who cares if your house doesn't look like other chapters? It's still amazing. What's with all the negativity about it? My chapter personally only had a lodge and some people might look down on that, but it's cool with me. We know that the sisterhood is what matters, and that, I hope, is the same for this PIKE brotherhood (and it SURE looks like it is--outstanding website, too).
Old 08-08-2007, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

The Sigma Pi house at Kansas State. Just took it over this summer:

Sorry it's so huge...
Old 08-09-2007, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Nice house! I likes. Used to be DX, Right across the street from the EN house right?

More K-State.

Beta:

KE:

Phi Delt:

FIJI:

PIKE:

EX:

TEKE: