GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,594
3 members and 1,591 guests
MSKKG, Tridentia

Old 01-12-2019, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Why do sorority houses have strict rules against boys sleeping over?

I’m a non-Greek student dating a sorority girl. We’ve been dating for four years
now. We started dating in high school and now we both go to the same university. About two months ago, I slept over at my girlfriends sorority house for the night. I slept in her room in a sleeping bag. When I woke up the next morning, my girlfriend and I went downstairs for breakfast. I disposed a couple of glass bottles (wasn’t beer or any alcoholic beverage). The next thing I know the house mother. She pulled me over to the office room in the house and began going over the chapter rules and questioning me. She wanted to know whether or not there was any suspicious activity going on last night and whether or not I drank anything last night. I answered all the questions. In the end I got off with a warning while my girlfriend was fined for violating some rules within the chapter.

Anyway, why do sorority houses have such strict rules against guys sleeping over? Is it to prevent the possibility of rape? I mean I’m not that type of guy that’s addicted to having sex or sleeping with multiple girls. Can someone please explain the reasoning behind this policy?

Last edited by theevensteven; 01-12-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Safety.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

It's a single sex organization providing housing for their members....single sex. Insurance, liability, etc.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theevensteven View Post
I’m a non-Greek student dating a sorority girl. We’ve been dating for four years
now. We started dating in high school and now we both go to the same university. About two months ago, I slept over at my girlfriends sorority house for the night. I slept in her room in a sleeping bag. When I woke up the next morning, my girlfriend and I went downstairs for breakfast. I disposed a couple of glass bottles (wasn’t beer or any alcoholic beverage). The next thing I know the house mother. She pulled me over to the office room in the house and began going over the chapter rules and questioning me. She wanted to know whether or not there was any suspicious activity going on last night and whether or not I drank anything last night. I answered all the questions. In the end I got off with a warning while my girlfriend was fined for violating some rules within the chapter.

Anyway, why do sorority houses have such strict rules against guys sleeping over? Is it to prevent the possibility of rape? I mean I’m not that type of guy that’s addicted to having sex or sleeping with multiple girls. Can someone please explain the reasoning behind this policy?
A sorority house is for the members of the chapter. NOT for men to use or crash. It is for their safety, as well as yours. Those are the rules of private housing which you need to respect. From now on, go home. Your GF may be facing some serious repercussions for your actions.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theevensteven View Post
Either your girlfriend really has a pair of brass ones or she hates being in a sorority and is trying to get kicked out.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe this is a local sorority or this guy is a troll. If not, she can spend the night at your place. No boys sleeping over is made very, very clear to in house members.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:22 AM

I think local sororities that have houses big enough for housemothers (let alone actually employ them) are extremely few and far between.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I’m still processing this. At my daughter’s house, no males are allowed past the first floor. This includes dads. Seriously, the only time he can even see her room is on move in and move out weekend.

In this day of mixed sex dorms, gender fluidity and such, it may seem like a very outdated rule. However, the insurance companies love it and sometimes money does speak.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ My daughter's chapter house had/has the same rule, but the residents like it. Gamma Phi Beta does not differentiate between gender -- no "romantic" partner is allowed to stay over.

One of the primary reasons for the "no sleepover" rule is to be courteous and respectful of the other residents. When women who are living in a sorority house get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, or wake up in the morning to come down for breakfast, they don't want to worry about running into someone else's boyfriend or love interest in the bathroom, hallway, etc. They may be in their underwear, nightgown, etc. Most women don't want to run into Joe Sleepover sneaking out of his girlfriend's room as they return to their own room wrapped in a towel after taking a shower. That was true when I was an active, and I can tell you it's still true today. I'm a house corp board president and had to handle a situation last year because other residents complained about a boyfriend.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 01-13-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

It’s hard to let your hair down and have topless pilllow fights if boys might walk in. Duh.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

You know what? I wrote a legit, straightforward reply and it turns out the OP is just a troll. That's what I get for having courtesy.

True and Constant

Last edited by navane; 01-13-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

This question is on every greek life forum from here to Haifa.

Example:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Sororities/...eing_upstairs/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sororities/...XX&sh=e7038cc3

Last edited by DistantXOcousin; 01-13-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Well, the OP is obviously a loser/troll!
Old 01-13-2019, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Well, the OP is obviously a loser/troll!
I’m simply pointing out that this has been posted in so many different iterations that this user was banned from one forum. That’s all. I’m sorry if I caused offense.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantXOcousin View Post
I’m simply pointing out that this has been posted in so many different iterations that this user was banned from one forum. That’s all. I’m sorry if I caused offense.
No, no!!! Carnation was NOT referring to you, DistantXOCousin!! She was referring to the man who originally posted the question/ complaint (OP). You did nothing wrong or out of order.