GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,475
2 members and 1,473 guests
LaneSig, Phrozen Sands

Old 10-13-2003, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Question "Christian" Org's vs. GLO's

Question, does the "Christian" organizations on your campus get along with the Greeks or are they the "you're-all-evil-you-need-to-become-one-of-us" kind?

Oh, if you are wondering why I put "Christian" in quotation marks is because the group on my campus is so anti-Greek that they have done many things "un-Christian" like.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-13-2003, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

The org that I'm in on campus, Campus Crusade for Christ is greek-friendly. Our leader and MC is in Acacia, I work in A/V and I'm pledging Alpha Phi Omega, and there are several other greeks involved. Some members of our staff are greek as well. As everywhere else at PSU, there are GDIs who hate greeks but overall we are at least in the middle if not pro-greek. Several other organizations aren't the same, especially one that goes around with t-shirts saying "Our Alpha and Omega is 10x better than your fratnernity" (they are known as being extremely greek hostile) I personally think that Christian orgs are dropping the ball by being anti-greek because in being anti-greek, they are definitely doing what Jesus told us to do. (See Matt 28:19-20 ) and it hurts your witness to be a jerk just because you don't like their letters...

Ok, I'm going to go before I start ranting...
Old 10-13-2003, 12:46 PM

It just depends on who you talk to here on my campus. One girl that's in the Baptist Student Union that hates greeks and thinks we're all going to hell. On the other hand, I have several sisters in different christian organizations.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
I would have to say that all of the "religious" orgs on campus are not greek friendly.... heck most of the cultural orgs aren't that friendly either. While there are exceptions, most students look down on the various "religious" orgs for being too cult-like (in fact some are banned from campus).

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old 10-13-2003, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
I don't know how the religious orgs. on my campus feel about Greeks.

The campus sentiment is anti-greek in general. But I've never encountered a problem with any of the religious orgs. I don't think they know we exist.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Our BCM was Greek friendly, and has done many things to try and befirend the Greeks, such as host free lunches for them, bake cookies and take them to the houses, but nothing ever got a response. Now all the people that were there then are Greek, and the people left are not Greek friendly at all.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

We have both CCC (Campus Crusade for Christ) and Chi Alpha Christian fellowship. And they have a House next door to us, in the middle of greek row. I don't really know much about them, but during work week, they usually come and give us flowers to welcome us back, and of course, telling us that we sing much louder than anyone else on the street.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

When is was at Ball State in the early 90s, there was a group that went up and down fraternity row while parties were going on, "praying for our souls", because we were all going to hell because we were Greek and led such "sinful" lives. I tried to explain to them that many of us were active Christians, and my big bro said he went to mass every week. This groups leader said something to the effect that wouldn't help because Catholics aren't really Christians!

There used to be this older guy who would preach at the Scramble Light, and he would always single out people wearing Greek letters as they walked past. Here's a true story: My big sis (a Tri Delt) and I were walking to class one day, and she had letters on. This guy is at the Scramble Light, sees her and says "Delta, Delta, Delta, the sorority of Satan!" I gave her crap about that for years afterwards.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BSUPhiSig'92
"Delta, Delta, Delta, the sorority of Satan!"
Who knew Satan was even female...

The Christian and greek communities at my school seemed to exist fairly well side-by-side.

Hillel was another story - but I think that was mainly because a lot of the Orthodox Jews (who tended not to go greek) had some beef with the Reform Jews (who were more likely to go greek). I hear, though, that the pendulum has swung the other way and Hillel is making a concerted effort to reach out to Jewish greeks.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Ah so much for the Christian philosophy!

The hypocroscy of it all is so underwhelming!

Are there Not Jesuit Colleges who have Greek Organizations

F Them, the rightous do gooders will rot in hell!

I love being religonified!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-13-2003, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to HeavenslilAngel Send a message via AIM to HeavenslilAngel Send a message via Yahoo to HeavenslilAngel
In the christian organization I am involved in its very positive as far as accepting greeks. A few members including myself are greek, but most are not. The organization is more concerned with where the person is ibtheir spiritual walk and showing God's love to others, greeks, non-greeks etc. One greek that is in this organization holds an all greek bible study and the campus minister of the organization fully supports her. I hold a leadership position in the organization too and I wear my letters just about every day so......
Old 10-13-2003, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to sfasammy Send a message via AIM to sfasammy
Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum
Hillel was another story - but I think that was mainly because a lot of the Orthodox Jews (who tended not to go greek) had some beef with the Reform Jews (who were more likely to go greek). I hear, though, that the pendulum has swung the other way and Hillel is making a concerted effort to reach out to Jewish greeks.
Hillel usually complements Sigma Alpha Mu, a historically Jewish fraternity. In fact, on some campuses, the Sammy house and the Hillel house are next door! Even though the latter began to accept non-Jews in the early '50s, the two organizations still have a pretty close relationship today.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I can see this thread getting not so nice... Just remember that one organization or some Christians that you meet don't represent the whole of us.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MTSUGURL
I can see this thread getting not so nice... Just remember that one organization or some Christians that you meet don't represent the whole of us.
Dittoing Crystal...
Christians are like every other person. Some are supreme jerks, some are the sweetest people on earth (even though we aren't supposed to be jerks .) Like everything else, your experience doesn't represent the whole of all Christians.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BSUPhiSig'92
"Delta, Delta, Delta, the sorority of Satan!"
Hahahaha, I wish someone would say that to me.