GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,286
2 members and 1,284 guests
Phrozen Sands, Xidelt

Old 07-27-2003, 04:39 AM
GreekChat Member

A thread for the guys- Fraternity Rush info

I was wondering if there was anyone who could give a synopsis of Fraternity rush? I have a friend who is rushing this fall and has tried to find info, but so far it's been very vague. I have tried to explain as much as I know, but I have very limited knowledge of fraternity rush. I know that we have so many threads about sorority rush, but I know that a lot of the guys come here looking for info and can't find anything. Things like:

-What happens at a rush party?
-What kind of questions should a rushee ask? What kind of questions will he be asked?
-What should he wear? Is this even important?
-What are some reasons (obvious or not) that you would cut or keep a guy? (grades, involvement, etc...)
-How big a factor is age? (19 vs 25?)
-What is houseguesting? If you houseguest at ABC, is that an automatic bid?
-What are you looking for in a future brother?

And anything else that you can think of to tell someone who is a first time rusher. I know this seems like basic knowledge to a lot of people, but for someone who has never gone through, it's very valuable. I figure we have all the same threads for the ladies, what about the men?

*edited to add questions

Last edited by SigkapAlumWSU; 07-27-2003 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator

Fraternity rush depends a lot on the campus. Every IFC has a different system. I've helped out at our chapter at Oklahoma U. It's MUCH different from ours at Central Oklahoma. Absolutely though, call the Greek advisor in advance (if they haven't provided you any info) to figure these things out.

If you're rushing a fraternity, know about the house you're rushing (girls are usually a decent unbiased source of information here). Keep an open mind throughout the process. Remember, the house with the most trophies is not necessarily the best fit for you! This is a brotherhood, NOT a popularity contest.

Know what you want beforehand and then go after it. Be honest throughout the process, getting a bid at a place where you fit shouldn't be tough.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-31-2003, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

*Bump*

** SigkapAlumWSU, I'd also recommend you cross-post this to the Greek Life forum. It's technically a Rush forum post but it tends to be female GC members who spend more time in this Rush forum due to the complex nature of NPC sorority rush. You'll find lotsa guys who'd be able to shed some light for you lurking in the Greek Life forum!