GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,847
2 members and 1,845 guests
nataliecavsoz41, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 07-08-2016, 02:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Do fraternity guys care what your GPA is?

Or is it as long as it meets the IFC requirement they don't care?
Old 07-08-2016, 02:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Like if they really really liked you, got along with you a lot, thought you were great, and wanted to give you a bid, if there is nothing technically holding you back from it because you meet the minimum IFC requirements, would they ever look at your 2.5 GPA (which is IFC minimum) and go "well we love this guy but sorry we don't like your GPA, bye" ?
Old 07-08-2016, 04:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomguy516213 View Post
Quote:
Like if they really really liked you, got along with you a lot, thought you were great, and wanted to give you a bid, if there is nothing technically holding you back from it because you meet the minimum IFC requirements, would they ever look at your 2.5 GPA (which is IFC minimum) and go "well we love this guy but sorry we don't like your GPA, bye" ?
We don't know. Rush and find out.

@~/~~~~
Old 07-08-2016, 09:37 AM

I can only speak for the campus where I advise and for my own organization.

At our campus, you must have a 2.67 to get a bid. Greek Life Admin will not allow you to even rush if you are below the minimum.

My organization will not allow you to receive a bid unless you have a 2.5. You can neither be bid or be initiated if you are below.

So, I am assuming that yes, most chapters do care about your gpa.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 07-08-2016, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
I can only speak for the campus where I advise and for my own organization.

At our campus, you must have a 2.67 to get a bid. Greek Life Admin will not allow you to even rush if you are below the minimum.

My organization will not allow you to receive a bid unless you have a 2.5. You can neither be bid or be initiated if you are below.

So, I am assuming that yes, most chapters do care about your gpa.

I know they care but as I was asking, as long as you meet the requirement are they fine with it? Is it a pass/fail type thing to them where as long as you meet what the IFC says for your college then they don't care, or do they actually factor in your GPA even if it meets the minimum requirement?
Old 07-08-2016, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

In general? Yes. As to how much it matters, this is a very chapter and campus-specific question. You would best address it to the Greek Life office at your school.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-08-2016, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
In general? Yes. As to how much it matters, this is a very chapter and campus-specific question. You would best address it to the Greek Life office at your school.
The greet like office said the minimum IFC gpa is 2.5, in the past when I've talked to chapter members and they brought up gpa it was always just "do you have a 2.5?", just worried that even with a 2.5 they will reject me just because of the low end gpa
Old 07-08-2016, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Some chapters absolutely will reject you with a 2.5 GPA at some schools. Others won't. We aren't academic honors societies, but GPA is a good indication of what kind of member someone will be.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-08-2016, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I can only quote for my organization, GPA is important. The national office states that a chapter must have a 2.6 over all GPA.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

LXA expects a 2.7 which I do not totally agree with. It can leave out to many great guys who could become great members for the chapter.

Then when you throw in all that IHQ expects members to participate , that high of a G P A can be overly harmful and would lose members.

I saw my chapter suspend and drop several excellent Brothers because they dropped to a 2.25 to 2.5. So if this is the case, whose lose is it?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-15-2016, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

You are getting a lot of politically correct responses here, but in my experience, no it doesn't matter unless the fraternity in question is in trouble with their nationals for grades.

Fraternity rush is not like sorority rush. While specific houses and GLOs may have rules for guys to meet, it is nowhere even close to the rigors of the point systems for sorority rush (at least formal). So, almost all of the advice given to female PNMs here (get your grades in order, get recs, wear "XYZ", etc) is more or less invalid for the overwhelming majority of fraternity chapters. Alumni pull or recommendation may matter more in competitive SEC chapters, but I highly doubt grades are.

I would assume for the vast majority of collegiate chapters, if you meet the IFC minimum AND the GLO minimum (if there is one) that the following stands:

- When choosing between a guy they love with a "meh" GPA or a guy they like a little less with an amazing GPA, most houses will pick the former.
- If you meet the minimum, you'll be judged almost completely on personality, and then maybe involvement second if it's something that would add prestige to the chapter (or for certain SEC chapters, hometown, high school, etc), but lack of involvement typically doesn't hurt you if you're a fit, it's just that involvement in certain things may give you a leg up for certain chapters.

Grades will matter, and probably significantly, if you are trying to join a colony however.

Get out there, meet guys. Almost all the decisions will come down to if your personality is a fit or not. And if it is, they'll bend over backwards to get you, "meh" GPA or not.