GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,360
0 members and 1,360 guests
No Members online

Old 08-30-2003, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Question How does the economy affect numbers?

So we all know that the economy absolutely sucks. The unemployment rate is the highest in quite awhile, people are losing jobs and taking pay cuts right and left.

Do you think that this is having an affect on numbers and on greek life in general? Both girls going through rush and girls that may pledge or are already members?

My school was a more working-class kind of school (it's a hybrid private/public), so it was nothing unusual to have one or two girls drop because of money, or decline bids because of it. Then there are always sister struggling to pay their bills (almost everyone in my house held a job, only a few people's parents paid their sorority costs). I wonder how this year's new members and sisters will fare....
Old 08-30-2003, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

We really never had a serious problem with the economy impacting numbers--I was VP-Finance, and everyone who needed a payment plan or forebearance came to me, so I was pretty familiar with everyone's situation. Our dues are very low (less than $300/semester), and compared to tuition, room, and board--it's merely a drop in the bucket, and manageable for most families as well as the women who worked to pay dues. We had one new member pull out for financial reasons, but that was due to the ineptitude of the new member educators not telling her the amount in advance.
Old 08-30-2003, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Pi Kapp 142 Send a message via Yahoo to Pi Kapp 142
Yea, when compared to rent in San Francisco, dues, which are around $100 a month, are just a minor thing for a big return. Everyone in my chapter has jobs or are looking for them. I was wondering about it at other schools though and how that might effect numbers.
Old 08-30-2003, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Rumor is that registration is way down at Illinois this year. :-(
Old 08-30-2003, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

HMMMMMM Since Mizzou just be U I l.

In Kansas and Missouri, it seems like every school listed % increases, not only Major U.s, but State and Private Schools!

In situations as the Country is in, more people are opting to stay in school and there are more grants and scholarships that most do not check into students check into!

Dang do I wish I was still school!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-30-2003, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't speak for final numbers since a lot of girls won't sign up until orientation (Tuesday), but rumor has it that pre-rush registrations are up at Wisconsin. As of the middle of this week we had 150 online registrations via the new website alone.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

Recruitment numbers have improved since the economy has gone south.

Collections have more to do with the treasurer and his tenacity than the members (I had a zero balance for most of my term )
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-01-2003, 03:07 AM
GreekChat Member

My school is having a record breaking recruitment. We are really excited. The most girls to sign up since 1980. Anyways, almost all our girls have jobs, too and have to pay their own dues.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Last year, UK had a huge recruitment...there were almost 900 PNMs. This year, there were only about 750, but that's still more than there were when I went through rush (about 600) so I don't think the sucky economy has impacted number thus far.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:45 AM
GreekChat Member

LSU numbers were up as well. Yet, I know my son's, roommate's sister quit her sorority (LSU) because of money. Not that it was too expensive, but that it was too expensive in terms of what she got out of it. That is a statement made by her mother. The first year she didn't work. The second, she got a job. She resigned at the end of the second year. It was the "extras" that got her. The vacations she couldn't join with her sisters and such.

When a ton of girls quit...as they did LAST year...it permeates through the community. Locally, we had about the same number sign up, but this year, many dropped out if they were cut too heavily. Some went to pref and didn't sign. I'm starting to wonder if it isn't more the attitude of our area. ***We had a record number of young men pledge this year!!!

I don't think TV or movies has much to do with it. Oh sure, maybe one or two will see it as "the devil". Maybe instead of just looking at the campus situation, it would be informative to look at who feeds into your college and what the current situation, be it economic or general attitude toward Greek Life, is at this time.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justamom
It was the "extras" that got her. The vacations she couldn't join with her sisters and such.

I suspect this is a big factor in why girls leave for financial reasons after they're initiated--since, in a lot of chapters, they pay more the first semester than they do all other years combined. I imagine that it's hard to go shopping with your sisters when they can shop at Prada and you're stuck at Old Navy, or going out to eat and ordering less than you really want because you can't afford to do the same things as everyone else. After the first year or so, I think it's more the social pressures than the actual cost of being in a sorority.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I was in college when the first George Bush was president. There was also a terrible recesssion which impacted my state and ultimately my chapter. I attended a state university so most people didn't have money to burn. Unfortunately when the recession hit, the parents of some of my sisters found themselves unemployed. One of these sisters had to go inactive for financial reasons as a result. We had many friends whom we believed were potential sisters, but they didn't rush because of financial concerns. When people struggle to pay tuition, room, and board, greek membership is a luxury that they can not afford.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Munchkin03
I suspect this is a big factor in why girls leave for financial reasons after they're initiated--since, in a lot of chapters, they pay more the first semester than they do all other years combined. I imagine that it's hard to go shopping with your sisters when they can shop at Prada and you're stuck at Old Navy, or going out to eat and ordering less than you really want because you can't afford to do the same things as everyone else. After the first year or so, I think it's more the social pressures than the actual cost of being in a sorority.
Exactly, to a "T".
Old 09-04-2003, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I am an advisor at Georgia State and I know our numbers have been slightly down and I had never even thought of the economy as being a reason. Thanks for some great insight!
Old 09-04-2003, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment numbers at the University of Tennessee Knoxville are WAY down this year. I think it is the economy coupled with another tuition hike. I was talking to a friend of mine who was at UTK and she said a few years ago numbers were around 1500 for Recruitment...this year I believe it was around 750 and a lot of sororities participated in COB who usually dont.