GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,453
0 members and 2,453 guests
No Members online

Old 06-27-2001, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Do Fraternities affect Sorority Rush?

Do fraternity memebers on your campus have a huge influence on the sorority rushees during formal rush? We all hope that's not the case but I was wondering if any other schools had problems with this.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-27-2001, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Rushees are forbidden from interacting with/socializing with fraternities from the time they register for rush until rush is over. You can be kicked out of rush (at least at my school) if you violate this rule.
Old 06-27-2001, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, technically fraternities are not to be used either positively or negatively in conjunction with rush. HOWEVER (and this does not mean that i condone it) there are 2 ways I have seen around this....1-the summer before new girls meet fraternity guys and ask there impressions of the sororities--this is all personal experience say XYZ member really likes tha AAA, while his brother doesn't, and a third brother doesn't know any...all three are going to different impressions.
2--It is used by the girls as in, 'and last year for homeocming we were with XYZ (everyone smiles, snaps, or claps..etc.) and show pictures of all these hot guys..those are 2 of the ways I have seen fraternities impact rush.
Old 06-27-2001, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

We actually use the sororities for our benefit. We usually have rush right after the gals. We hang out with a great variety of sororities and invite them to our rush events. They bring with them their favorite gals from their rush (little sis's and such). It ends up making us look good to the guys in rush and also helps get everyone excited about the upcoming events throughout the semester. We actually have several girls that do a lot of our rushing for us, and we are very thankful.
Old 06-27-2001, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

At my school, girls going through sorority rush are not allowed to go over to any of the fraternity houses during rush week. The week after girls rush is guys rush. That week the sorority girls are allowed to attend all of the guys rush functions and parties. The girls always help out the guys during their rush week at my school.
Old 06-27-2001, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

We have deferred Rush, so many first-year females get their impressions on sororities throughout first semester from fraternity men. I think the men at my school have a stronger influence on whether or not a girl rushes than which sorority to join. Sad, but true.
Old 06-27-2001, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Sadly, the fraternities at my school are known for dragging couches onto their front lawn and holding up #'s as the rushees go by like--

Hey you in the pink -- rushee looks over-- fraternity guys hold up a card with the #6 on it.

Very degrading and humiliating to women who are already nervous. For sophomore rushees tho-who already know the guys doing this, it can be mood lightening since they'll call you out of the crowd and wish you luck and all that, too.
Old 06-27-2001, 08:30 PM

This is one instance where I'm in favor of 1st semester/pre-semester rush. (probably the only one) If it's deferred, you hear the guys' opinions, see which sorority hangs with which fraternity, etc. For me it was the other way around. I didn't like the fraternity my sorority was associated with (my ex's best friend was one & was a JERK) but after I got to know them I thought they were awesome!
Old 06-27-2001, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Red face

At my school, the guys hold their recruitment about a week before our I think. We do a Greek Forum together however; where fraternities/sororities set up tables in a tent and all the PNMs can walk around and look. Even though the PNMs aren't really supposed to have contact with the fraternities/fraternities aren't supposed to have events until after recruitment, they still do and you'd be suprised at how many girls are influenced by the stereotypes they hear.
Old 06-28-2001, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

There are a few ways in which we effect each others rush at my school. We don't get involved at all during formal rush, except if some non-affiliated (new PC word for GDI) girls are hanging out at the house, and we are talking up one sorority or something and they overhear. During informal in the spring, we allow the sororities to hang thier rush posters in our house, and have little info sheets available in our bathrooms. Kinda just getting the word out about sororities to the GDIs. During our one rush event, we are told to bring a date, which is usually a sorority girl, because a lot of my brothers date Greek girls, so when our rushes see these beautiful women, they end up telling their female friends about a cool ZTA or a really nice AGD they met at rush. Kinda just gets the word around.
Old 06-28-2001, 10:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Along with AlphaChiGirl, we have deferred rush too, and fraternities can be brutal when they describe sororities. But those are the breaks, I guess. I think most girls in our system have their ideas already in place about where they want to go before they even go to one party. The best thing to curb this is to get to women in classes and such early in the Fall with freshman move in and with dormstorms and all that jazz. It's worked wonders for us.
Old 06-28-2001, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

At my school we can go to fraternity houses the week of rush and so can PNMs, but if we go over there and we see a PNM (they have to wear little buttons all week) we have to leave. If we go to a restaurant and see PNMs we can stay but we can only say hello, nothing more. When I went through rush I had a hell of a horrible time at a certain sorority house. I left ready to cry. I went to the Sig Ep house cause I knew their entire chapter and talked to one of their brothers. He told me that he hated that sorority (even though his girlfriend was in it) and that his favorite was AGD. He also told me that an AGD I had talked to at rush had called him and asked about me. He told me a few other things and when I left i realized that if a sorority was going to call some of the people they KNEW were my friends to find some things out they must really like me. Did it influence me? Maybe a little, but more than anything it made me not care what that other house said about me!

------------------
"...and love her for her womanhood."
Old 06-28-2001, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Well, at Morehead during rush anyone who is in a sorority is not allowed to hang out with any fraternity, like go to parties or anything like that. The only thing that is allowed is if a girl is lavaliered she can wear the letters during rush, but that's it. A way that we kind of get around all that stuff though is that we often have block parties and things like that. That gives us the opportunity to introduce potential rushees to hot guys and let them know that we do socialize with fraternities. The guys however, use sorority girls for their benefit. They invite us to rush functions they have and that sort of thing, so they can attract more rushees. Their moto is the more women the more guys we will get!!! LOL And sadly enough, it is true!!!
Old 06-28-2001, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Fraternities definitely influence sorority rush. We had deferred rush my freshman year, and even though I didn't rush till my sophomore year, from talking to the guys I was friends with I already knew the reputations of the chapters on my campus. Now our rush is a week after school starts, but fraternity rush starts before ours. We meet a lot of girls at the various fraternity events, which is good, but we can't drink in front of potential rushees (which is any freshman girl since we don't know who's rushing and who isn't until it starts).

I think fraternity rush events are a good way to see what a girl's like outside of formal rush. There was this one girl who seemed really nice and classy during rush, then we saw her at a party...we didn't know she was there until her head popped up out of some guy's lap in a car. Other girls seemed shy during rush but really opened up at some of these functions.
Old 06-28-2001, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by amycat412:
Sadly, the fraternities at my school are known for dragging couches onto their front lawn and holding up #'s as the rushees go by like--

Hey you in the pink -- rushee looks over-- fraternity guys hold up a card with the #6 on it.

Very degrading and humiliating to women who are already nervous. For sophomore rushees tho-who already know the guys doing this, it can be mood lightening since they'll call you out of the crowd and wish you luck and all that, too.
Amy - that's so sad!!! Especially when the rushees are already so nervous!