GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,275
3 members and 1,272 guests
naraht, Shellfish

Old 07-12-2012, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I Need Help.

Alright, so I'm chair of Recruitment Counselors this year. I love everything about recruitment and being a Pi Chi, but I'm starting to get really stressed.

Our advisor has left myself & the VP of Recruitment to develop Pi Chi training. We thought we were doing fine but she sent us an email saying she was disappointed in us.

This is what we have so far:

Team Builders

Mutual Selection/the MRABA lesson

Chapter Facts & Stereotyping discussion/worksheet

Talking with parents discussion

Sign 'em up! Activity/discussion

Being a present & active recruitment counselor discussion

Common Questions from PNMs

"I" stories

Cross-affiliation vs. Disaffiliation activity

What is the NPC? Worksheet/discussion

Leadership activities

How-to: Hall rounds/PNM meetings

Recruitment schedule walk-through

Plan Intro to Women's Recruitment meeting

---

What I'm asking is: do you feel we are missing anything? Or do you have any ideas that would amp up our training schedule or make it interesting or I don't know...better?

The VP of Recruitment & I are both return recruitment counselors and close with our advisor. She expects a lot out of us and we want to make her proud, but more importantly we want the Pi Chis to be prepared and knowledgeable.

Any help is much appreciated!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Your category titles seem quite thorough, but maybe you need to start to flesh them out a little. I'm a big fan of an outline. Some of these will already fit as subcategories to main listings. Also, this list doesn't mean much without a schedule to go with it. You can EASILY get way off track if you don't have an amount of time dedicated to each item. And I don't think you can spend enough time on mutual selection and MRABA.

Best of luck.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Have you talked to her to find out WHY she is disappointed? It's probably better to just have that conversation than to come here and ask us when we have no idea why she might be upset. There are any number of reasons why she may be dissatisfied, and the best way to find out is to go to the source.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-12-2012, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Have you talked to her to find out WHY she is disappointed? It's probably better to just have that conversation than to come here and ask us when we have no idea why she might be upset. There are any number of reasons why she may be dissatisfied, and the best way to find out is to go to the source.
You're right...however, I have a feeling it will make her more upset if we don't know why she's mad. And by "have a feeling" I mean...I know that it will.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with Dubais. Maybe it is too skimpy and not detailed enough. Add a breakdown of major points for each topic.

Seems weird that you can't ask for more explanation, but to each his own.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

That's so ridiculous and childish. So much unnecessary drama goes on in this world because people won't have simple conversations about expectations. An adviser should have no problem addressing this issue with you and not expecting you to read her mind. SMH.

AOII

Old 07-13-2012, 05:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
That's so ridiculous and childish. So much unnecessary drama goes on in this world because people won't have simple conversations about expectations. An adviser should have no problem addressing this issue with you and not expecting you to read her mind. SMH.
She'd definitely answer if we asked, but she has very high expectations for us. She's a fantastic advisor and has improved our Greek community vastly and she's only been around for two years. Wouldn't trade her for the world! It is a bit frustrating, but I know we can do it. I'm just trying to get a little back-up, I guess.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Speak to the Greek Advisor.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I think a big part of what you are missing is:
Counseling disappointed PNM's
What to do when one of your PNM's is completely released from recruitment
How to keep the PNM participating
How to counsel a PNM who wants to SIP
Preparing the PNM's for a successful recruitment

I think there are a lot of counselors who don't understand the recruitment process and therefore can not effectively counsel their PNM's. The counselors almost need to become experts in all things recruitment. Unfortunately I think a lot of them do it to get out of recruitment

Good luck. Your list sounds pretty good.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylaxlove View Post
She'd definitely answer if we asked, but she has very high expectations for us. She's a fantastic advisor and has improved our Greek community vastly and she's only been around for two years. Wouldn't trade her for the world! It is a bit frustrating, but I know we can do it. I'm just trying to get a little back-up, I guess.
Saying "if you don't know I can't tell you" is neither mature nor professional on her part. It's great that she is trying to get you guys to do as much of it as possible - rather than do as many advisors would do and just spit out a program herself - but she needs to realize that you guys do have lives and may not be thinking about rush 24/7.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Speak to the Greek Advisor.
Is she not talking about her Greek Advisor? (or FSA as I have heard many referred as recently).
Old 07-13-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug12 View Post
Is she not talking about her Greek Advisor? (or FSA as I have heard many referred as recently).
Yes, but FSUZeta means "speak to her even if she is being a poutypants and playing the if you don't know I can't tell you game, even if she yells at you because you didn't read her mind, because the future of the Rho Chis and the rushees depends on it."
Old 07-13-2012, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree, obviously. She doesn't have to do it for you to give you constructive feedback. A statement like "I'm disappointed in you." is completely insufficient if it is not followed by an example and a method for change. That is leadership.

AOII

Old 07-13-2012, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylaxlove View Post
The OP's statement led me to believe that she nor the VP of recruitment had asked what she, the Greek Life Advisor, had meant when she said that she was disappointed in them. The OP also said that she had a "feeling that the GL advisor would be more upset if they asked her what she meant." The GL advisor sent them an email telling them that she was disappointed.

And 33girl read me right.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you everyone. The VP & I are going to rework what we've done and make it as good as possible and send it to her. If we have a bunch of work done, it'll be a better conversation, I think. haha. Recruitment counselor training is completely our responsibility, I think she just wants us to have a well-developed program to train our Pi Chi's.

(I talked with the VP and we developed a plan. haha)