GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Beta > Beta Sigma Phi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,223
2 members and 2,221 guests
Kevin, Titchou

Old 11-27-2002, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Overheard...

I was in class yesterday, and before the lecture started, I overheard some classmates making fun of Beta Sigma Phi. I'd left a few brochures lying around in the student lounge, and apparently some people took it as a big joke.

This is what I was talking about when I mentioned that the people in my program would never accept the idea of joining a sorority.

I'm so discouraged. I think I'm going to give up on becoming a Beta. So few people have heard of us, and the few people who have (in my school) think it's a joke. I don't have the time to do heavy recruiting, and I don't know enough like-minded people to start a chapter of my own. I've decided not to join the local chapter here, no matter how much I like the ladies. I just don't fit in there.

Thanks to Erica and to everyone else for all of your help, but it just seems that me and Beta were just not meant to be.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-27-2002, 12:02 PM
Ginger

aww, hon, I'm so sorry!

Have you considered alumnae initiation in an NPC sorority? I'm starting to consider that... I'm still waffling on Beta myself.... I'm not sure what I want to do, especially since I won't be returning to school in spring.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

BookishBabe~

I'm so sorry about what you heard. I REALLY REALLY hate closed-minded people (like your classmates)... I hate it that people make fun of things that they don't understand instead of trying to make an effort to understand them.

I'm really sorry that you are thinking of giving up on Beta. I guess now all you can do is follow your heart. Do check out the NPC organizations to see about alumnae initation, you would be really great for any sisterhood! Good Luck!

~Nicole
Old 12-02-2002, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Oh No!

Please don't give up on Beta all together. Like the ladies have already said, there may still be a perfect place and a perfect time for you in Beta Sigma Phi. I really wish that time was now (I've enjoyed sharing in your story), but you might find your path coming back to Beta some time in the future. Whenever that is, I know you will be welcomed with open arms. Please keep in touch!

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 12-03-2002, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't give up!

You are giving me so much hope!! I love hearing about these things. I really hope you find the Beta chapter for you!

And to those schmucks that were making fun of Beta-

I am currently studying for the GRE's so i can go to grad school and I am gonna try to start a chapter of Beta if they don't already have one. I thought about trying a chapter already established in my area-but I kinda want to start one. I think it will be rewarding than just joining. I guess I need to prove to myself I can do it, I dunno. Anyway-good luck.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up That's great, Blue Violet!

I'm so glad to hear that you would like to start a chapter. You may run into some difficulties at first (like BookishBabe has described), but if you hang in there, the rewards will be wonderful. You just need to listen to your heart. If you can dedicate your time to it, definitely go for it!

Keep us updated with your progress! And good luck with those GRE's. I've been there!

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient