GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 2,109
2 members and 2,107 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 01-23-2009, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile Good News for Greeks at SC

The University of Southern California has an established Greek system. There is a Greek row on 28th Street near the edge of the campus. The sorority houses are gorgeous, but some of the fraternity houses are in need of renovation.

Dr. Steven Sample, SC President, announced today the university has pledged $4 million dollars in loans for house safety improvements to the sorority and fraternity chapter houses.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-23-2009, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jitterbug13 Send a message via Yahoo to jitterbug13
That's good news, but the thread is misleading. When I think of SC, I think of South Carolina, not Southern California.

Besides the real USC wouldn't need updates on a new greek row because the houses are fairly new.

"I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not."--Kanye West

"Black is the new President."--Tracey Morgan
Old 01-23-2009, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug13 View Post
That's good news, but the thread is misleading. When I think of SC, I think of South Carolina, not Southern California.

Besides the real USC wouldn't need updates on a new greek row because the houses are fairly new.
I actually thought Southern California when I read the thread... I guess it depends on where your from. I wouldn't say the "real USC" because both schools use it as common abbreviation....

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 01-23-2009, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile SC Loans

This was posted because I thought it was a pleasant change to see a university do something positive to assist the Greek community. These loans will not be used to rebuild fraternity houses, but to add various safety features such as better locks, improved lighting and sprinkler systems.

The Univ. of Southern California is a private university. It has a long established Greek system. The chapter houses are not owned by the university.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:28 AM
GreekChat Member

This is great news! The sorority houses at my alma mater tend to be in better shape than the frat houses - go figure!

FYI - President Sample is a Beta!
Old 01-24-2009, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ahh, but which university has www.usc.edu as their website? And which one does ESPN refer to as SC?

The sorority houses at USC are beautiful (especially Theta), both inside and out. Whenever I go there, however, the fraternity houses are messy and cramped and just kind of...blah. It's funny walking down the street, because there are these beautiful beautiful beautiful sorority mansions right next to these little concrete bunkers and makeshift motels haha.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

University of Southern California: Extablished 1880.
University of South Carolina: Established 1801.

I'm on your team, Jitterbug13.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GatorDG
I'm SEC all the way BUT when I hear USC to me that means University of Southern California. I think, anywhere except in the SEC, if someone mentions "SC" or "USC" in a crowd - especially of football fans (and I think Spurrier is great), 99% will think you are talking about the University of Southern California. This is not a slight or an act of disrespect on South Carolina in anyway, but televised sports and mass media has the edge here in crowning the University of Southern California "USC".

I think it is great that the university is taking such an interest in the safety of their students. Housing being what it is around all campuses, it is really in their interest to have additional safe options for the students. Congratulations to University of Southern California!
Old 01-24-2009, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDG View Post
I'm SEC all the way BUT when I hear USC to me that means University of Southern California. I think, anywhere except in the SEC, if someone mentions "SC" or "USC" in a crowd - especially of football fans (and I think Spurrier is great), 99% will think you are talking about the University of Southern California. This is not a slight or an act of disrespect on South Carolina in anyway, but televised sports and mass media has the edge here in crowning the University of Southern California "USC".

I think it is great that the university is taking such an interest in the safety of their students. Housing being what it is around all campuses, it is really in their interest to have additional safe options for the students. Congratulations to University of Southern California!
Exactly. Count me on team Trojan.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jitterbug13 Send a message via Yahoo to jitterbug13
Since I am from South Carolina, USC is South Carolina. We call the other USC Southern Cal. But I know it is different everywhere else. And I'm glad for the greek housing at Southern Cal.

But we were first!

"I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not."--Kanye West

"Black is the new President."--Tracey Morgan
Old 01-28-2009, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyAnne17 View Post
University of Southern California: Extablished 1880.
University of South Carolina: Established 1801.

I'm on your team, Jitterbug13.
What my University of South Carolina friends will tell you:

"We were a college before California was even a state.
University of South Carolina - since 1801.
The state of California - since 1850.
Thank you."