GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Alpha Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,345
2 members and 1,343 guests
aidanshulzeo560, janesstexxda745

Old 07-15-2007, 08:53 PM

Legacies

Thetas,

There is a wonderful legacy policy explanation in our summer issue of Kappa Alpha Theta magazine as well as a wonderful story about a multi-generational family of Theta legacies.

What kinds of things do you all do to promote Theta with your legacies or other family members that you have hopes of being Theta one day?
Old 07-16-2007, 05:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Well I have sort of an interesting situation. My younger sister is going to college (my college) this fall as a freshman, and clearly she's a legacy. We're really close, so I talk to her about Theta (among everything else we talk about). She's also come to visit me at school a few times on weekends and such, and I live in the house, so she's stayed there, and obviously met all the girls. She doesn't know if she even wants to go greek, and I'll support whatever decision she makes in the matter, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want us to be both biological and Theta sisters.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:18 PM

I promote Theta with my 11 year old step-daughter (who I think of as my own daughter). I've actually been promoting Theta since I've known her at the age of 8.

She uses my Kappa Alpha Theta kite pillow case on her pillow. I have a ceramice Kappa Alpha Theta pin box that i let her keep her bobby pins in. She eagerly looks through my Theta magazines when I get them and she enjoys looking at the pictures from my Theta days and the scrapbook I made during my pledge semester. The local Theta chapter here has halloween parties for the children of local alumnae and I brought her to a couple of those and she really enjoyed it. The girls gave her a house tour, with trick or treating and one girl did face painting and some kind of artsy thing (and Kelsy LOVES artsy stuff). She got more excited about Theta after that experience than ever!

She tells me often that she wants to be a Theta at Duke (her father, aunts, and grandparents being UK alumni and myself being a UK fan cringe at the thought of Duke ), but I think she would do better close to home at UK
Old 07-17-2007, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

^^As long as there is Theta at UK, sounds good to me!

My sister attended college where there is no Theta chapter. I would have loved it if she went to my alma mater, partially b/c I was set on her pledging Theta there, but alas...it was not to be. She did rush one semester informally at her college, but it didn't work out. I also plugged Theta to my cousin who attends my alma mater, but she wasn't really into the "sorority thing." She went to a few COB events, and was friends with some of the older members, but that's where it ended for her. My other cousins of age are at colleges that have no Theta chapter, so I'll just have to start up with friends' kids ( and my own), in say, 20ish years!
Kappa Alpha Theta "The Fraternity was always second in my mind to coeducation. It was organized to help the girls win out in their fight to stay in college on a man's campus. We had to make a place for women in a man's world, and the Fraternity was one means to that bigger end." -Bettie Locke Hamilton
Old 07-17-2007, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
The local Theta chapter here has halloween parties for the children of local alumnae and I brought her to a couple of those and she really enjoyed it. The girls gave her a house tour, with trick or treating and one girl did face painting and some kind of artsy thing (and Kelsy LOVES artsy stuff). She got more excited about Theta after that experience than ever!
That is an absolutely wonderful event for a chapter to do. I love that idea. Thetaprincess24, my hope is that someday, when I have a daughter, I will take an approach similar to yours for introducing her to Theta.

My younger sister attends a college with a great Theta chapter and I really hoped that we could share that bond, but she decided it wasn't right for her. I have to admit that at first I was a little heartbroken. She joined another group though and is really happy with her choice, so I am happy for her. It seems to be a good fit.

I have another younger sister who is getting ready for college soon, so I'm still hopeful that I might have a biological sister as a Theta sister.

We have a large family with many Greeks on both sides, so there is a bit of legacy pressure from several members.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post

She tells me often that she wants to be a Theta at Duke (her father, aunts, and grandparents being UK alumni and myself being a UK fan cringe at the thought of Duke ), but I think she would do better close to home at UK
I have a Kappa friend who has a Theta mom and a Theta daughter. All 3 are Duke alums. I never met the grandmother but both the mom and the daughter (graduated in '06) are lovely sweet women!
Old 07-24-2007, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

My 4 year old...

If my 4 year old daughter sees a kite she says "Look mom, Theta kite!" She can sing "There's a Kite Called a Theta Kite", too (and so can my 6 year old son which my husband doesn't think is nearly as cute)! I served as an advisor for my chapter for 7 years so she's been to the house and around the women quite a bit. Most of the babysitters I use are Thetas. I'm a national officer now so she is still exposed to Theta stuff. She was just saying yesterday that when she grows up she wants to be a cheerleader and a "theta girl"! She refers to the house as "the Theta girl house".

The college women used to ask me what I'd do if she doesn't go Theta and I would respond "I'm sorry... what did you say?" like I didn't even hear them. Honestly I hope when the time comes I will be supportive of whatever decision she makes. The other day she said she wanted to go to the "Gamecock school" and I quickly informed her there are no Thetas there and she needs to go to the Tiger school instead (her little friends come from big U of South Carolina families and I come from a family of Clemson fans). Of course those aren't her only SC school options so we will see...
Old 07-24-2007, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Just passing by . . .

If she goes to the Gamecock school, you can have a crescent moon to go with your kite!
Old 07-24-2007, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

ORRRR even Better: Get those Kites flying at South Carolina!!
Kappa Alpha Theta "The Fraternity was always second in my mind to coeducation. It was organized to help the girls win out in their fight to stay in college on a man's campus. We had to make a place for women in a man's world, and the Fraternity was one means to that bigger end." -Bettie Locke Hamilton
Old 07-25-2007, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I only have one younger sister, and right now she has expressed an interest in beginning her college career locally at the community college. While I understand and respect her decision, I am some what heart broken, that she will not be going to a Greek school. I still hold out hope that she may finish her BA at my alma mater where my chapter is located.

I was the first in my immediate family to go Greek. Some of my extended family had been Greek, not Thetas, and did not make very smart choices in their college years. Hence is was harder for me to convince my family of my decision. In time though they supported me, and now my sister is excited about Theta.

I have a Theta makeup bag that my big gave me and she is forever stealing it and telling me how cute it and the kites are. I have also let her looks at my badge, and she loves the silver case I keep it in and the badge itself. She loves the all the symbols on the badge! Oh how I wish she could go to a school where Theta is so I could actually tell her what they mean!!!

Old 08-01-2007, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to undtheta2000
I am a legacy, so I can speak from that side. Going Theta was probably one of the best decisions I could have made. I went over the the house a number of times with my sister (we are only 7 years apart) so I got to know some of her friends. I went to several of the Christmas parties they had. I knew some of the songs & chants because my sister would do them once in a while when an event was coming up.
While being in the house was great, I was also somewhat intimidated going through rush, knowing that my sister really wanted me in the house. It was the only house I had the opportunity to go to on our 3rd day of rush- and 1 of 3 (instead of 5 total) on day 2...I wasn't sure I would get a bid...

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 09-06-2007, 07:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Bid Day!

I took my 4 year old little legacy to Bid Day at the College of Charleston. Bid day tees were red so I made her a red shirt that said "future theta" on it. Everyone thought she was just darling! There are pictures on inCircle. If you want to see them, PM me and I'll give you my name.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

incircle has pics? I just got invited to join by one of my PC sisters. I'm going to have to get going on that!
Old 09-08-2007, 03:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Just passing through too

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteflyerzl View Post
The college women used to ask me what I'd do if she doesn't go Theta and I would respond "I'm sorry... what did you say?" like I didn't even hear them. Honestly I hope when the time comes I will be supportive of whatever decision she makes.
The best comeback I've heard for this sort of thing is "My daughter can join any sorority she wants...but I'm only paying for one."

And now back to the regularly scheduled Theta chat.