GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,293
1 members and 1,292 guests
znathanhulzeo24

Old 01-19-2018, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

What’s Going On

Even before this horrible incident, I’ve been thinking quite a bit about the future of Alpha Phi. The projected image (and also reputation) of many collegiate chapters is not one I experienced or recognize. We were not the girls you couldn’t sit with, and neither were any of the other chapters I knew of.
It seems there was a paradigm shift sometime in the last 10-20 years to put Alpha Phi on the map. We are there.
I know we have many wonderful sisters even within these “mean girl” chapters, and I’m wondering what it will take to help them shine, to redirect the focus away from the superficial.
Interested in fellow sisters’ thoughts.
AOE
Old 01-19-2018, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post
Even before this horrible incident, I’ve been thinking quite a bit about the future of Alpha Phi. The projected image (and also reputation) of many collegiate chapters is not one I experienced or recognize. We were not the girls you couldn’t sit with, and neither were any of the other chapters I knew of.
It seems there was a paradigm shift sometime in the last 10-20 years to put Alpha Phi on the map. We are there.
I know we have many wonderful sisters even within these “mean girl” chapters, and I’m wondering what it will take to help them shine, to redirect the focus away from the superficial.
AOE
I know you put this in the Alpha Phi forum and that you're looking for input and opinions from your fellow sisters, but I've read your comments here and in the other thread, and if you're willing to explain what you're seeing in Alpha Phi a little more in depth, then I'd be interested to hear your take. If not, that's OK, too.

I just don't generally hear anyone talking about their org on a national level in the manner that you have, because to see such trends on such a wide scale doesn't seem to be typical.

@~/~~~~
Old 01-19-2018, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

It’s hard to see the organization you love heading down (what you feel may be) the wrong path and/or taking hits that strike at the heart like this. I have no experience with Nationals and how they implement what they envision. But as I said above, it seems like they did have a growth model that worked.

My organization seems in many ways stronger than ever and I rejoice with the success of many chapters, but I’m also wondering at what cost? I was indeed, looking for input from some sisters, but since it’s here...

Has anyone else perceived a (perhaps cyclical) shift in the focus of their GLO? Or perhaps seen other GLOs refocus?
Old 01-20-2018, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUDelta4Life View Post
Additionally, as others have mentioned, too many chapters have a culture of seeing how many members they can gain with thousands of Instagram followers instead of recruiting for quality. It should be more important to be a good person who genuinely respects all cultures, ethnicities and sexual orientations rather than someone who can be the chapter's controversial celebrity.
This. There is a price.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I've been thinking about this since you first posted about it. I agree that Alpha Phi, especially the newer chapters, now has a specific image their chapters project. I think part of this growth model came out of a desire to colonize at large Greek schools where there was no prior Alpha Phi presence, and that the best way to immediately become a strong chapter and not "that" chapter was to take women who perhaps have questionable reputations, lower grades or fewer connections. I know this is what they did at Clemson, and by all accounts the chapter is very successful at this model.

I think of a chapter at a school I worked at, which shall for now remain nameless, that has a very different reputation than the national organization does, and it was frustrating to see them struggle in recruitment because the national organization valued the pretty, social image and this chapter was not interested in that. It was repeatedly trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. This chapter really shone in informal recruitment and didn't make quota, but I could tell that they were expected to make quota even if it meant taking women they didn't want to be sisters. I wonder if an over-focus on recruitment numbers is partially to blame. I would rather have a chapter full of women who live my sorority's creed every day and never meet quota or total than a chapter of women who don't care about what Alpha Delta Pi means.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
I wonder if an over-focus on recruitment numbers is partially to blame. I would rather have a chapter full of women who live my sorority's creed every day and never meet quota or total than a chapter of women who don't care about what Alpha Delta Pi means.
Totally agree.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Totally agree.
I private messaged you awhile back. Did you receive my message?
Old 02-10-2018, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi4Ever View Post
I private messaged you awhile back. Did you receive my message?
Nope—just checked and it’s not there. Are there different folders?
Old 02-11-2018, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi there!
I am not an Alpha Phi, but have the upmost respect for your organization and I have thought about what you posted, mainly due to my aunt being an Alpha Phi at Cornell. =) . I mentioned this post to my husband, who is also Greek and he said the solution is simple. Get involved, and start working on obtaining new leadership. He does love the Greek system, and says the best thing to do is get involved, whether that means going back to your chapter of initiation or a chapter that is close by. I feel like we are constantly telling women going through recruitment to be the change they want to see in the chapter they don't want to join. Well it sounds like this is the point for you, to maybe be the change you want to see in the organization you already cherish.

Best of luck!
Old 02-11-2018, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsucalsigmakapp View Post
Hi there!
I am not an Alpha Phi, but have the upmost respect for your organization and I have thought about what you posted, mainly due to my aunt being an Alpha Phi at Cornell. =) . I mentioned this post to my husband, who is also Greek and he said the solution is simple. Get involved, and start working on obtaining new leadership. He does love the Greek system, and says the best thing to do is get involved, whether that means going back to your chapter of initiation or a chapter that is close by. I feel like we are constantly telling women going through recruitment to be the change they want to see in the chapter they don't want to join. Well it sounds like this is the point for you, to maybe be the change you want to see in the organization you already cherish.

Best of luck!
Thank you, wsucalsigmakapp,
That is actually what I am looking to do! I was unable to volunteer until recently and hopefully will get into a position to do so soon.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
AOE
I wanted to say how much I admire you for sharing your concerns regarding your organization's future. Quite likely you are not the only Alpha Phi alumna or collegiate member who is having similar thoughts. I'm glad that you are willing and are now able to volunteer your time and to become involved with them. Is there are collegiate chapter or alumnae group close to you that you can volunteer with and discuss your concerns? Best wishes to you for your efforts and to all the members of Alpha Phi.

Last edited by TLLK; 02-11-2018 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I definitely appreciate your post and it is brave to ask the question. Don't let the moderator of this forum bully you into not speaking. I agree with you wholeheartedly as another Alpha Phi. The leadership at the top of Alpha Phi has made a deal with the devil and now all we can do is watch as they deal with the aftermath. I am a current volunteer working in a collegiate chapter and I go to the conferences and conventions all the time. I sit back and watch these women put on their little skits and make fools of themselves like this whole exercise if for their personal benefit. They float between the board of the fraternity and the foundation and then go to work in the executive office. Rinse and repeat. They hand pick their ELCs and train them to think a certain way. They come to our chapter to direct our members to do things a certain way and sometimes I have a hard time with it. THEN, the ELCs become the new leaders of the organization. Normal, reasonable alumnae have lost their voice in Alpha Phi. They control the slating committee so that the people in charge will ALWAYS be in charge. They sit on our panhellenic delegation and exert a lot of influence in the panhellenic world as well. They have set things up so that no one else will ever be able to change the direction. I once raised my hand and asked a fairly pointed question about this mess and was not met with a warm, understanding reply. The current president is really the worst. I'm waiting for this academic year to be over and then I will walk away. It breaks my heart, but I just can't support this any longer. And, I certainly can't support my high-school aged daughter in joining my own sorority. It is a very sad situation. Thank you for listening. It is hard to be heard. I hear you and I hope you hear me too.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sororanon View Post
I definitely appreciate your post and it is brave to ask the question. Don't let the moderator of this forum bully you into not speaking. I agree with you wholeheartedly as another Alpha Phi. The leadership at the top of Alpha Phi has made a deal with the devil and now all we can do is watch as they deal with the aftermath. I am a current volunteer working in a collegiate chapter and I go to the conferences and conventions all the time. I sit back and watch these women put on their little skits and make fools of themselves like this whole exercise if for their personal benefit. They float between the board of the fraternity and the foundation and then go to work in the executive office. Rinse and repeat. They hand pick their ELCs and train them to think a certain way. They come to our chapter to direct our members to do things a certain way and sometimes I have a hard time with it. THEN, the ELCs become the new leaders of the organization. Normal, reasonable alumnae have lost their voice in Alpha Phi. They control the slating committee so that the people in charge will ALWAYS be in charge. They sit on our panhellenic delegation and exert a lot of influence in the panhellenic world as well. They have set things up so that no one else will ever be able to change the direction. I once raised my hand and asked a fairly pointed question about this mess and was not met with a warm, understanding reply. The current president is really the worst. I'm waiting for this academic year to be over and then I will walk away. It breaks my heart, but I just can't support this any longer. And, I certainly can't support my high-school aged daughter in joining my own sorority. It is a very sad situation. Thank you for listening. It is hard to be heard. I hear you and I hope you hear me too.
None of this has come as a surprise to many of us sorority alumnae who are actively involved in Panhellenic recruitments. It's been that noticeable and that's why the identity of "Beta Delta" as Alpha Phi in the recent Michigan sorority recruitment expose was so obvious to those not even familiar with Michigan Greek life. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...Z6xthshRM/edit It's also apparent that recruiting for looks while ignoring a woman's character and accomplishments, especially in an era where everything is recorded and put on the internet, will attract more women who will become PR nightmares for all of us since we're deemed guilty by association in the eyes of most non-Greeks. It doesn't take a genius to figure out a common affiliation with the most high profile examples of sorority bad behavior in recent years.

That's not even touching on the bad behavior of Alpha Phi alumnae (and perhaps actives) on that other site as they prepare to colonize at a school.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sororitysock View Post
That's not even touching on the bad behavior of Alpha Phi alumnae (and perhaps actives) on that other site as they prepare to colonize at a school.

I saw that google doc and it is absolutely "us" and that makes me vomit. It's not REALLY us, it's those women who lack a moral compass.

By that "other site", do you mean GreekRank? I rarely go there because it is so salacious. Sometimes the girls will tell me about something that has been posted about our chapter and so I go look at it, but that's about it. I am somewhat sheepishly asking, what are our members doing on there prior to a new colony? I bet that I can guess. Bragging? Boasting? Saying that we are a 10/10? That would be my guess and I'm sure it is so welled received, especially down in the south. God help us!
Old 10-10-2018, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sororanon View Post
By that "other site", do you mean GreekRank?
I assumed that's what she meant. I can't stand that site. I wish it would go away. Anyone who posts anything positive on there is accused by everyone else of "self-ranking". Why these young women (and men) are so wrapped up in tiers and rankings is beyond me.