GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,672
1 members and 1,671 guests
Overthinker

Old 09-27-2007, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Oh, I don't know. Check the new member list...most all the groups got a large percentage of out-of-staters. Of course, the entire freshman class has WAY more out-of-staters than it used to, thanks to Dr. Witt's push to enlarge the student population.
Yes, that 10% discount for Alumni children for out-of-state tuition is going to help me SOOOO much when my triplets go to college...
Old 09-27-2007, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

and yes, my Jr. and Sr. year I went and stayed in the house and got pranced around. I also received many letters, but this has since stopped at Ole Miss. I think they still can go down in high school and stay in the chapter houses.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECMom View Post
Actually, the title is: A SOUTHERN BELLE PRIMER, OR WHY PRINCESS MARGARET WILL NEVER BE A KAPPA KAPPA GAMMA. It is absolutely hilarious, but to me, as a lifelong southerner, what is so funny is that it is so true. Ridiculous, absolutely! But when you grow up in it you just think that is the way it is.
I knew it was something like that. Thanks!!!

A really good friend of mine from college told me how NPC sorority women came to her HS in Klein ISD, which is North / NW of Houston in the late 80's and gave a seminar / presentation on NPC greek life. Being that she was AfAm in a predominantly White HS, she said she was at the whole thing. Once she made it to Texas A&M it all made sense.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Oh, I don't know. Check the new member list...most all the groups got a large percentage of out-of-staters. Of course, the entire freshman class has WAY more out-of-staters than it used to, thanks to Dr. Witt's push to enlarge the student population.
I looked at that list and I couldn't believe it - a girl from Indiana, PA is pledging Gamma Phi Beta!

If she comes back up here and visits her Greek friends at IUP she'll have total culture shock, for sure!!
Old 09-27-2007, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

[quote=triplefigs;1529363]Did they do the early rushing parties in the late 80's? I don't remember ANY of us from my HS going to parties, letters, etc.

I don't think so, I was writing recs and talking to mamas in the 80s and I don't remember anything like this until my oldest daughter was a senior in 2001. And even then, she had been to a state-wide program that enabled her to meet a ton of girls her age and a year or so older and a lot of the notes came from some of them, so I initially associated it with the program, but as more and more came I realized that this was a "rush" technique.

By the time 2006 rolled around I had survived putting on (and paying for) a wedding and all I could think about was how much those beautiful invitations to all those teas must have cost
Old 09-27-2007, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I looked at that list and I couldn't believe it - a girl from Indiana, PA is pledging Gamma Phi Beta!

If she comes back up here and visits her Greek friends at IUP she'll have total culture shock, for sure!!
We tend to get a handful of Midwestern, Northern and Cali girls each year, oftentimes from states with single-letter GPhiB chapters... some are legacies! Thank you, Dr. Witt, for practically handing us the out-of-state girls that Old Row doesn't bother inundating with letters each spring. (Not that we don't write letters, too...) Most members of our pledge classes are from Alabama and Georgia, but GPhiB (and some other chapters too) can proudly say that we don't limit PNMs geographically.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

it certainly makes the chapter more interesting when members are from different geographic areas.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
it certainly makes the chapter more interesting when members are from different geographic areas.

ABSOLUTELY!!! Even though half of my chapter were from Ohio, we had several girls from surrounding states (or course), the east coast, Texas, Florida, even from England. You bring another level of diversity within a group this way.

I know a couple of houses at our school avoided pledging girls from outside of state fearing they wouldn't be able to recruit "the right girls" as well. I thought this was very narrow-minded. Just because you don't know a girl from high school, doesn't mean you are not going to connect with them during recruitment.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasmile View Post
You mean you couldn't tell what a traitor $aban was based on the way he bailed his previous team when he came to LSU? $aban is all about money...his only loyalty is to the almighty dollar.

Any program who hires $aban should know that they should take what they can from him during his brief stay there, because he's going to bail at the first call of a larger salary. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, I suppose, as long as the university understands that going in.)

$aban has been stating for years that his dream was to coach in the NFL - if he ever gets another NFL opportunity (which is questionable, of course, based on his performance at Miami), he wouldn't hesitate to bail on 'Bama. Its just the way he operates - he's not the kind of guy who will stay long term anywhere and build a program.

(And yes, I know people who are personally acquainted with him.)
That was my opinion on the matter as well!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 11-09-2007, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile I'm new to greek life

I'm new to the whole 'Greek life', and I was wondering, How do I do this? I think I want to go Greek at UA, but was wondering what the process was like.

and pardon me, but what exactly is "Bid Day?"
Old 11-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

if you are wanting to join a npc sorority, the usual procedure is to register during the summer thru the ua panhellenic council for formal recruitment. this involves a registration form and a fee. you attend organized parties the week before school begins for the fall semester. the first set of parties, all pnms(potential new members=rushees=girls who want to join a sorority) visit each of the npc chapters on a set schedule. after the first set of parties has concluded ,the pnms decide which sororities they would like to visit again, and the sororities decide who they would like to invite back-the lists are compared by panhellenic and the computer spits out a list of the pnms invitations for the next round of parties. each day the amount of parties decrease and the length of the parties increase. the pnms make their decisions on who to return to and the sororities decide who they want to see again. the last day of recruitment is preferentials. it is a very serious party where the sorority shares a glimpse of their ritual with the pnms. the day after prefs. is bid day, the day the pnms discover which sorority has extended them an invitation to join. the sororities each hold parties to celebrate the occasion with their brand new members .

your first step would be to visit the ua website, go to greeklife and then to the panhellenic page. there should be lots of information to help you understand how the process works at bama. greekchat has loads of threads that have great tips for girls considering formal recruitment-there are general information threads that are helpful and then college specific threads.

you can also visit each of the bama sororities chapter websites-most have them- and learn what they are involved in at bama and visit each sorority's national website to learn a little more about them. good luck!

Last edited by FSUZeta; 11-10-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's the link. http://bama.ua.edu/~npc/FallRecruitment2007.htm
The information is for 2007, but it will give you an idea of what to expect. Updates will probably not be posted until late in the spring semester, maybe the last of April. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2008, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

spring 2008 cob

does anyone know if gamma phi beta at university of alabama is doing cob this spring?
what about other sororities on campus
Old 01-23-2008, 12:38 PM

Your best bet would be to call the Greek Life Office and ask. We don't know which ones are participating.

Lakers Nation.