GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,317
4 members and 1,313 guests
John, Sarak24034, UofISigKap

Old 07-29-2016, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

2016 Missouri Fall Rush

My DD2 is rushing at University of Missouri this fall. I am a bit anxious. The registration numbers are down reportedly due to bad national press the Concerned Student events elicited. DD1 rushed during the peak year in 2014 w over 2000 registrants. She was fortunately given a bid by her Number one house from the first round, but many others were not so fortunate. Her experience was rocky with lots of rejection and hurt feelings. Apparently the number has dropped to 1500 this year but reportedly going to be highly competitive again.

Anyone else in my shoes? Would love to share stories. I must say as a nonGreek mom with no real idea what she was getting into, my first daughter's rush week was by far the most stressful parenting experience of my life. I thought I had seen it all up til then. haha
Old 07-29-2016, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Recruitment is competitive every year. Whether it is 2000 or 200 PNMs, if they all make it to prefs and sign bid cards, they will receive a bid. It might not be the PNM's first choice, but they will receive a bid. Good luck to your daughter.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Miz recruitment is crazy competitive. Even with smaller numbers, it's nuts. My oldest DD graduated this year and she always said recruitment is difficult from BOTH sides, and really doesn't give anyone time to get to know each other too well sadly. But, she loved her house and made so many great friends within Greek Life! I'm sure you and your oldest DD have prepared her for what's to come. It really only does take one and every house is really great at Mizzou.

My advice to your daughter would be to ask her rushers how things are going for them. Show some interest in their well being. It could be a kindness that would take her far!

My DD2 is rushing this fall at a smaller U so it should be interesting! Best of luck to you!
Old 07-31-2016, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks ladies. I think it will be quite a ride!
Old 07-31-2016, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to her. Please keep us posted on her experience! My daughter is a sophomore at Mizzou and this will be her first time on the other side.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Will do- moving my junior back to campus next weekend followed by freshman the following Sunday! Not looking forward to my empty nest ��
Old 08-04-2016, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to your daughter! Sounds like you'll be better prepared for what to expect, and I am sure your junior DD has coached your freshman DD well.

My daughter probably went through recruitment when your oldest daughter did, as she is returning for her junior year as well.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Just dropped my Junior off today as well! Hopefully, less PMNs will mean smaller groups at the socials and more chances to talk with the active girls! I'm glad to have survived Recruitment 2014 as well. I have another daughter graduating high school this year, but she is not looking at SEC schools. KCMom, does your younger daughter want to join her sister's chapter?
Old 08-10-2016, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi everyone! kcmom my daughter is a junior as well and I remember that crazy 2014 recruitment. It was stressful for me too (more than I expected), even though I'd been through rush before! I'm sure your oldest daughter will give her sister some good advice, having been through recruitment. The sense of rejection is surprising to a lot of the girls, and really hard to take as their first experience of college. Please remind your daughter that everyone will be going through that in one way or another. With the way recruitment is designed now, the houses that have historically had the strongest recruitments are forced to make a lot of cuts early on in the process. My daughter was very lucky to end up in her first choice house, but she was cut by many houses that she really liked along the way, and it hurt. She should prepare herself to be cut from some houses she likes each round, take it one day at a time, and keep an open mind. We will look forward to hearing how it goes for her!
Old 08-11-2016, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Dd2 does like sister's house but really hasn't had exposure elsewhere. She wants to keep an open mind and see if it is for her. We have prepared her for cuts to be deep but she has a pretty stellar unweighted Gpa w a lot of college credits ( nearly a sophomore) and Recs to all the more competitive houses. We are currently paring down her belongings to fit into a dorm. Wish us luck on that!
Old 08-11-2016, 07:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmom View Post
...she has a pretty stellar unweighted Gpa w a lot of college credits ( nearly a sophomore) and Recs to all the more competitive houses...
Keep in mind that this describes MANY of the PNMs. She will no doubt have a great recruitment because she is keeping an open mind but many of the women who will be dropped by houses they like will also have great grades and rec letters as well.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Certainly didn't mean to imply she won't have disappointments. She knows there are no guarrantees and has no expectations.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to DD2!
Old 08-15-2016, 08:40 AM
GreekChat Member

How's it going?
Old 08-15-2016, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Well she texted twice. One to say the first house was DD1 and she wishes it wasn't first so she could be a little more comfortable with the format.She said she was really nervous and tried to hide it haha. But oh well! She just texted at 530 that she was done and walking to meet a HS friend. I think they have to find somewhere to eat dinner. She is going to call after she gets back and hopefully I will have more information.