GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,571
3 members and 1,568 guests
anglasyandext99, mlanderson

Old 08-25-2014, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I was under the impression that all PNMs attending pref are on the bid list somewhere. Which is why chapters have to be okay with all girls attending pref, as they could potentially walk through the door on bid day, even if she's the very last name on the B list.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-25-2014, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
I was under the impression that all PNMs attending pref are on the bid list somewhere. Which is why chapters have to be okay with all girls attending pref, as they could potentially walk through the door on bid day, even if she's the very last name on the B list.
Yes. If you go to pref, you should be on the bid list somewhere, unless something ungodly awful comes out about you.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

She WAS on the bid list! BUT she SIP'ed. And she wasn't high enough on the bid list before her desired chapter met quota. Ergo, no bid for her. That's the risk she took.

So she was eligible for a snap bid from any other chapter, but she was SOL when it came to the chapter she SIP'ed.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-25-2014, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Someone said that Panhellenics have to vote to adopt the automatic total adjustment rule. The Greek system at my campus has informed us that this is not the case. Automatic total adjustment is to be treated as NPC Policy and any exceptions must be approved by the NPC area adviser. This is consistent with what national officers of my org say has been communicated at other schools.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Is the automatic total adjustment new? Or is that something that has been in place?
Old 08-25-2014, 02:57 PM

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=143495

Green Book verbiage in this thread
Old 08-25-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I guess I'm still not used to this "somewhere on the list if you're at pref" stuff and thought that she could have not been on their bid list at all.
That isn't an RFM concept though. As far as I know, that has always been the case.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Irishpipes, you are correct. At least since 1994 (when I pledged) being invited to pref meant you'd be on the bid list.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:41 PM

From page 130 of the 2014 MOI:
Quote:
Bid Matching
A fraternity should be willing to issue an invitation to membership to any woman who is invited and attends its preference event. The name of every woman whom the fraternity invites to attend and who attends that fraternity’s Preference event should appear on the fraternity’s bid list.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
I'm pretty certain every chapter there made quota. Every chapter at this university is amazing and I find it pretty sad that you felt you were "too good" to be in one of these sororities. I can also tell you that this campus does so well that they rarely have COB events in the spring. In fact, for the chapters that choose to COB, they usually only take a handful of (meaning like 5) ladies. Next time, you should give EVERY chapter a chance. I mean, that "other sorority" was willing to consider you.
I usually keep my mouth shut, but I find it rather annoying that you feel the need to comment on almost every post about a woman not wanting to be a member of a certain sorority for whatever reason and attack her for thinking she was "too good" for that sorority.

Not thinking that you would fit in or not wanting to be a part of a certain chapter doesn't mean that you believe you are "too good" for that sorority. Sure, there are women who think they are "too good" for lower-tier groups but that is not always the case. For what it's worth, when I went through recruitment there were a couple of chapters that were considered very "top tier" that I personally didn't feel like I would fit in with at all - so it's not always about feeling "too good" for a chapter.

Every woman's situation is different and every woman going through recruitment needs to do what is right for her. In my opinion, it's better to suicide if you only want a bid from one chapter and would decline a bid from another chapter because then you're not taking a spot away from a girl who would love to be in the chapter you're not interested in. Quit being so harsh - you don't know anyone's particular situation and this poster didn't provide us with enough information to start drawing conclusions.

OP, actions have consequences. I'm sorry that recruitment didn't work out the way you wanted it to, and I wish you the best of luck in your college career.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maconmagnolia View Post
I usually keep my mouth shut, but I find it rather annoying that you feel the need to comment on almost every post about a woman not wanting to be a member of a certain sorority for whatever reason and attack her for thinking she was "too good" for that sorority.

Not thinking that you would fit in or not wanting to be a part of a certain chapter doesn't mean that you believe you are "too good" for that sorority. Sure, there are women who think they are "too good" for lower-tier groups but that is not always the case. For what it's worth, when I went through recruitment there were a couple of chapters that were considered very "top tier" that I personally didn't feel like I would fit in with at all - so it's not always about feeling "too good" for a chapter.

Every woman's situation is different and every woman going through recruitment needs to do what is right for her. In my opinion, it's better to suicide if you only want a bid from one chapter and would decline a bid from another chapter because then you're not taking a spot away from a girl who would love to be in the chapter you're not interested in. Quit being so harsh - you don't know anyone's particular situation and this poster didn't provide us with enough information to start drawing conclusions.

OP, actions have consequences. I'm sorry that recruitment didn't work out the way you wanted it to, and I wish you the best of luck in your college career.
Agree with Macon Magnolia. Generally speaking, I think most people who SIP aren't being open minded.... but there are exceptions! When I went through recruitment, I had a friend who SIP'd because the other chapter on her list was home to her ex-boyfriend's new girlfriend, and it was an uncomfortable situation for her. I thought it was very strange that they invited my friend back, but she was a legacy and I had the sense that the chapter wasn't able to release her based on their return rates. Nonetheless, my friend SIP'd, and I thought she had a pretty good reason.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSkyAtNight View Post
Nonetheless, my friend SIP'd, and I thought she had a pretty good reason.
Again, this depends hugely on chapter size. At a school where the NM classes alone are 100+ women, I'd tell a PNM to suck it up.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

As a parent, I also think fees would be valid consideration. If the sorority is unhoused with low fees I would say to give it a try. If out-of house fees are in the 7 to 9k range theire may be better options for those dollars.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
That isn't an RFM concept though. As far as I know, that has always been the case.
I didn't think it had anything to do with RFM. Like I've said before, if you only had one invitational event, I think requiring a group to put every single woman on the bid list is sillypants and probably rarely followed. But that's not the kind of rush situation we're talking about here so it's a moot point.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

On my campus, girls often suicided for religious preferences. We only attended two chapters for preference. If a Jewish girl had only SDT or AEPhi and another chapter for preference, sometimes she might choose to ISP the traditionally Jewish chapter. A girl in my dorm had a name that might be seen as a traditionally Jewish last name, she was very Catholic. At preference she had AGD and SDT, she ISPed AGD. Luckily, it worked out. So not every girl who ISPs does so for "superficial" reasons based on social standing.