GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,489
0 members and 2,489 guests
No Members online

Old 10-10-2020, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Why do historically Black GLOs use corporate designators?

I notice many historically Black GLOs are fastidious about including the corporate designator "Inc." as part of their name while other GLOs are not.

For instance, Sigma Gamma Rho - on its website - only refers to itself as "Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc." and never refers to itself as "Sigma Gamma Rho." This seems to be typical of Black GLOs.

Either use, of course, are probably correct. In the case of Sigma Gamma Rho, the North Carolina General Statutes indicate that the designator must be part of a corporation's official name while also not precluding the use of a shortened version in everyday communications. [e.g. Lowe's, the home improvement store, is officially Lowe's Companies, Inc., but DBA Lowe's]

Is there any significance to the fastidious use of corporate designators in the names of Black GLOs? Is the corporate designator "Incorporated" orally invoked during ritual work even?
Old 10-10-2020, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I am not a member of ay of the Divine 9 but have been told by several friends who are members that it is because it was so difficult for blacks to incorporate in the early 1900s that they wish to emphasize that status. Reading in many places since, that seems to bear validity.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I am not a member of ay of the Divine 9 but have been told by several friends who are members that it is because it was so difficult for blacks to incorporate in the early 1900s that they wish to emphasize that status. Reading in many places since, that seems to bear validity.
Very interesting - thank you!
Old 10-10-2020, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo9 View Post

Either use, of course, are probably correct.
This is why members of BGLOs rarely answer such questions on this forum.

The correctness of the usage has nothing to do with you one way or the other.

Your question is not offensive by itself. Your judgment one way or the other is.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your input Sen. I wish there was a like button!!
Old 10-10-2020, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post

Your question is not offensive by itself. Your judgment one way or the other is.
...I concur.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Unbelievable. We are damned if we do and damned if we don't. Please please forgive us stupid white people (and I am horrible to assume that Ronaldo9 is white, but there it is) when we ask a civil, simple question because we are interested and trying to understand another organization or culture.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Unbelievable. We are damned if we do and damned if we don't. Please please forgive us stupid white people (and I am horrible to assume that Ronaldo9 is white, but there it is) when we ask a civil, simple question because we are interested and trying to understand another organization or culture.
I am not trying to speak for Sen, because he can speak for himself far more eloquently than I ever could about anything, but dude’s tone and diction is way judgmental (“fastidious use” and “probably correct”)

Note to Ronaldo - check your subject verb agreement on “Either use are”. You’ve got a singular subject and plural verb. You know, since you’re all about policing others’ writing.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
I am not trying to speak for Sen, because he can speak for himself far more eloquently than I ever could about anything, but dude’s tone and diction is way judgmental (“fastidious use” and “probably correct”)

Note to Ronaldo - check your subject verb agreement on “Either use are”. You’ve got a singular subject and plural verb. You know, since you’re all about policing others’ writing.
Not that I want to defend him but English is not his first language
Old 10-10-2020, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What the heck?

You joined this site in 2003.

You are an alumna from a college that had BGLOs at the time you were there.

Yoooooouuuu weren't concerned about the topic before today.

Yooooooouuu made this a "stupid white people" thing.

I LITERALLY didn't give a thought to dude's race, or yours.

I pointed out the problem with the question and even said that the question itself wasn't offensive.

YOU are deciding to have a problem. Not me.

And not that I have to be nice about it, but I certainly wasn't rude or uncivil because I pointed out what was offensive to me.

I think the problem you have is with me. Please put me on ignore and leave me there.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Ronaldo9: Since you are not a natural born citizen accustomed to the subtilties of Greek life and certainly not those of Southern members (because many of us here are and which can be even more difficult to decipher), I must tell you that your questions/remarks border on being both impolite and impolitic. Perhaps you should chat with some of your own fraternity brothers about your questions first so that they may direct you to the resources and etiquette of same.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Ronaldo9: Since you are not a natural born citizen accustomed to the subtilties of Greek life and certainly not those of Southern members (because many of us here are and which can be even more difficult to decipher), I must tell you that your questions/remarks border on being both impolite and impolitic. Perhaps you should chat with some of your own fraternity brothers about your questions first so that they may direct you to the resources and etiquette of same.
Titchou:

I don't even mind him asking, if he really wants to know. I don't presume that his fraternity brothers would necessarily know the answer to this particular question, so why not ask here? You had the answer, and it was accurate.

If he can ask simply, without editorializing, that would be even better.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo9 View Post
Is there any significance to the fastidious use of corporate designators in the names of Black GLOs? Is the corporate designator "Incorporated" orally invoked during ritual work even?
Others have commented on other problematic aspects of your post, but asking a general question about the rituals of any other organization outside of Delta Upsilon, (which why would you, you can get their ritual on their website), is pretty bad form.

Just when you get a few normal posts under your belt, you post a train wreck like this. One has to wonder whether the train wreck and the predictable cascade of wtfs to follow was intended as a little Saturday evening diversion?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-10-2020, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post

Sorry I upset you, Sen!

Best,
Ron
Old 10-10-2020, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well I'm Asian but I know no offense was intended so no offense is taken!

Best,
R