GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,394
1 members and 1,393 guests
Cookiez17

Old 11-29-2011, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Paddle Problems!

I am having a problem with paddles and I searched to see if anyone had posted a similar question but couldn't find one. If this is a repeat, I apologize.

Anywayys, I bought 3 paddles at the greek shop today. I got a paddle to make for my big, one to make for myself, and one extra. This is probably going to sound really dumb but my boyfriend is in a fraternity and for some reason, I thought I could make one for him. (I'm a freshman so I'm new at Greek traditions.) Come to think of it, I don't know what I thought I'd do with it. I mean, I can't very well make him one in his fraternity colors and letters, I don't think. Even as a gift, I doubt I'd be allowed to fashion a paddle using his fraternity symbols because I'm not in the fraternity.

He seems to think I can make him a sorority one for him. Like I could paint it in my sorority's colors and give it to him. I've seen girls make paddles for their mothers but never for boyfriends ): Can that be done? This probably is a stupid question, but I just wasn't thinking when I bought the paddle and now I don't know what to do with an extra one! I'm already making my big and I one. Could I maybe make one for another girl in the house or are paddles really only for bigs/littles to give to each other?

Sorry for all the questions!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-29-2011, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by libby13 View Post
I mean, I can't very well make him one in his fraternity colors and letters, I don't think.
Why not?

The people who make the pre-made paddles at the factory aren't members of those organizations.

I mean, I don't know the traditions of YOUR boyfriend's fraternity, but I've personally never heard of someone not being allowed to make a paddle as a gift for someone else, unless that organization specifically won't let its own members have paddles.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

The only thing you really shouldn't wear are someone else's letters, making a paddle for them is not one of the things you shouldn't do.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
If all else fails, you can make me a paddle I haven't gotten one in a decade. It's about time another.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 11-29-2011, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the replies! I asked him if I was allowed to make him one for his fraternity but he said he didn't think so. I asked if he could ask around at the house because they'd know best, but if not, I'll make you one, sigmagirl2000! (:
Old 11-29-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
He seems to think I can make him a sorority one for him. Like I could paint it in my sorority's colors and give it to him.
I can't imagine a guy getting a paddle from a sorority sister with HER stuff on it (if he's not an official sweetheart or little brother) and not getting laughed out of town. It would make him look really p-whipped, if you ask me...
Old 11-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Banned

How it is done by some NPHC collegiate and graduate/alumnae/alumni members:

1. Fraternity man makes a paddle for a sorority woman with both his letters and her letters on it.
2. Sorority woman makes a paddle for a fraternity man with both her letters and his letters on it.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
How it is done by some NPHC collegiate and graduate/alumnae/alumni members:

1. Fraternity man makes a paddle for a sorority woman with both his letters and her letters on it.
2. Sorority woman makes a paddle for a fraternity man with both her letters and his letters on it.
Yup.

I have seen this from romantic couples, friends, and sometimes between parents and children.

Aww, I want another paddle.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Yup.

I have seen this from romantic couples, friends, and sometimes between parents and children.
Indeed and it usually works well as long as both organizations' 'nalia protocol is adhered to.

If one of my Omega friends ever makes me a Delta paddle with Delta symbols being humped by a dog and surrounded by Omega letters that are bigger than my Delta symbols, he got some 'xplainin' to dooooooo while I paddle whoop him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Aww, I want to make DrPhil a paddle.
I look forward to it, thanks!
Old 11-29-2011, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

LMAO
Old 11-29-2011, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all the help, guys! I've seen t-shirts of a couple's fraternity and sorority letters together but never a paddle. Would it be ok to make him a paddle of mine and his letters together with our colors mixed even if neither of us are the 'sweetheart' of the other's organization? We live states apart and we've only met each other's brothers/sisters once or twice. Would I have to ask them before making a paddle or is this something I can leave up to my own discretion? I would make it well and I'd respect both of our letters and colors.

And 33girl, that's exactly why I was balking at the idea of making him a paddle with my letters on it (: My first choice would be to make him a paddle of his own letters but since he seems to think I can't do that, I'd love to make one with both of our letters and symbols. I don't want to give him something he'd feel awkward displaying or that would get him made fun of
Old 11-29-2011, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I would just keep the extra paddle for when you take a little.
Most of the fraternity guys I know would make fun of their brother if his girlfriend gave him a decorated paddle.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

From the posts so far it seems that combining sorority and fraternity items on a paddle is acceptable for members of NPHC organizations. However, I would say that the same does not apply to NPC and NIC organizations. I've never seen it done with NPC/NICs and, quite frankly, I would think it more than a bit odd.

So, depending on your affiliation...proceed accordingly.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I belong to a NPC GLO and he belongs to an NIC GLO. So combining our letters probably shouldn't be attempted, thanks for the advice! Would I still be able to make him a paddle for his fraternity, using his letters and symbols? Or can I not do that because I'm not a member of that GLO and am not a brother?
Old 11-29-2011, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I belong to a NPC GLO and he belongs to an NIC GLO. So combining our letters probably shouldn't be attempted, thanks for the advice! Would I still be able to make him a paddle for his fraternity, using his letters and symbols? Or can I not do that because I'm not a member of that GLO and am not a brother?
I wouldn't do it. Paddles for NPC and NIC groups are really an expression of the deep bonds between the members of that particular GLO. A non-member can't share in that. It would make for an awkward gift that he probably wouldn't feel right about displaying.