GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,430
0 members and 1,430 guests
No Members online

Old 11-21-2005, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

San Diego State U. bans liquor for Greeks

(from Fraternal News)

Sun, 20 Nov 2005 15:36:21 -0800
San Diego State U. bans liquor for Greeks

_ The Daily Aztec
San Diego State University
November 17, 2005

San Diego State U. bans liquor for greeks

By Barbi Smith, The Daily Aztec; SOURCE: San Diego State U.

At San Diego State University, Jack Daniels and his friend Jim Beam are no
longer welcome at greek associated events or facilities. As of Nov. 9, all
hard alcohol has been banned from the greek community in order to decrease
alcohol abuse.

The moratorium on hard alcohol, an effort of the university's
administration, states that a zero-tolerance approach will be enacted to
prohibit all hard alcohol at chapter-related activities and facilities
including the chapter house, courtyard, hallways and common areas, and all
apartments leased to members of the fraternity.

In addition, "beer bongs" and "ice luges" will be prohibited along with any
type of drug paraphernalia.

Scenarios ending in alcohol poisoning, detox, sexual assault and other
self-induced injuries typically begin with hard alcohol, said Douglas Case,
coordinator of the Center for Fraternity and Sorority Life.

"We've identified 17 incidents this semester in which hard alcohol played a
significant role," he said.

Case, who reviews reports from University Police and residence halls' staff
on alcohol related cases, said students who wind up in the hospital for
alcohol poisoning typically measure their intake in terms of how many shots
they have taken.

"The alarming thing is they're talking about having 10 shots, 11 shots, 12
shots of hard alcohol," he said. "That's an excessive amount of alcohol
that could lead to some very serious consequences, especially for young
females that don't weigh as much."

In terms of accountability within the greek community, Andrew Roy,
Inter-Fraternity Council vice president and Lamda Chi Alpha member, said he
feels the answer lies in responsibility.

"I think they should start having fraternities and sororities being
responsible for their members and that they'd be able to watch out for one
another," he said. "Not so much, 'Let's try to get as drunk as we possibly
can,' but more along the lines of 'You are held accountable for your
actions,' which is not happening now."

Case said any violation of the moratorium will result in a minimal sanction
of that chapter being "dry" for no less than one semester at all
chapter-related events, regardless of location.

While hard alcohol is already prohibited at chapter events, unless the
party is held at a licensed establishment such as a hotel or country club,
this new prohibition is raising question of a student's personal right to
party.

"A lot of people think this is just a frat-guy thing," Alpha Phi member
Melissa Straight said. "But really, all people who have ever been to a frat
party need to realize the effect this is going have on the social scene.

"I hope that members of the greek community will step up and take
responsibility so that this doesn't become permanent."

And permanency is not intended through the moratorium, Case said.

In review of the policy, Case said he will converse with the Associated
Students Advisory Board, Center for Fraternity and Sorority Life Advisory
Board and the University Affairs Board representatives to review his
decision at the end of the Fall 2005 semester. Anyone is welcome to give
input he said; however, he would prefer it to come from a greek council or
established board.

"I think there are certain aspects about it that are beneficial to the
greek community, and I think there are certain aspects that are imposing on
individual's rights," Roy said. "But I do think that a temporary kind of
solution like they have kind of in place can be beneficial, as long as it's
temporary.

"As long as they honestly, truly evaluate the situation at the end of the
semester and not just bulls*** us by saying that they are going to, and
they never do."
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-21-2005, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

It looks pretty bad when the university bans stuff (hard alcohol, bongs, drug paraphenalia) that GLOs are not supposed to have in the first place. Hopefully these groups get their act together and start holding more responsible social events.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm actually glad they did this...drinking hard liquor is different from drinking beer when people choose not to set limits on themselves...

It's funny though, because these things were already banned before, so it's like they made a rule already implemented.

I still don't know how this will decrease the number of crimes. SDSU is currently under the biggest crime wave in 20 years, but the vast majority of them are occuring outside the parties, on empty streets and parking structures and by non-SDSU students who don't get inot parties and shouldn't be in the neighborhood to begin with.

It sucks because all the wrong people are coming to SDSU because it's a party scene, and then they get pissed when they don't get in...I mean, you're not an SDSU student let alone Greek...
Old 11-21-2005, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to thetagammachica
funny enough the problems that reasult from liquor isn't really the greeks... it is the stupid freshman that think they can handle 10 shots the first time they drink....

at least that is the case on our campus
Old 11-21-2005, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thetagammachica
funny enough the problems that reasult from liquor isn't really the greeks... it is the stupid freshman that think they can handle 10 shots the first time they drink....

at least that is the case on our campus
True, but at the same time, it's the Greeks responsibility to make sure that they don't drink to the point of...stupidity when they come to greek parties.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NebraskaDelt
It looks pretty bad when the university bans stuff (hard alcohol, bongs, drug paraphenalia) that GLOs are not supposed to have in the first place. Hopefully these groups get their act together and start holding more responsible social events.
I wouldn't include hard alcohol with the other two - for the time being at least, hard alcohol is not illegal (as long as you are of age).
Old 11-21-2005, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

If one looks a little, it is not just Freshman Students.

I think Stan is correct in His Post. A School that is known as a Party School will attract Likes to The Campus ergo Chico State at Cal.

I went to a Chapter, Could Not Drink On the Pourch but could smoke and vise versa.

I did not argue with them, It was their House!

The Problem is, if The Students dont Control Them Selves, the School will and will not be A+ for Greeks.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-21-2005, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
Quote:
Originally posted by TristanDSP
True, but at the same time, it's the Greeks responsibility to make sure that they don't drink to the point of...stupidity when they come to greek parties.
Again, this is why the US is really sucking anymore. No one is ever responsible for their own actions.

People can get just as drunk off of beer, especially freshmen, as they can hard liquor.

I've been in school long enough to see that most of the time I get in trouble does involve hard liquor-but that's after a bottle myself. Still doesn't justify banning it.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

I wonder if the university is applying this ban campus-wide, or if it's just directed at the Greek community?

Curbing alcohol abuse is obviously a good thing, but one doesn't have to be Greek to drink too much, and being Greek isn't synonimous with alcoholism either.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:46 AM

No ice shots? Poor ice companies are going to go out of business. What other reason would you buy a block of ice for?
Old 11-22-2005, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalGirl
No ice shots? Poor ice companies are going to go out of business. What other reason would you buy a block of ice for?
Ice sculptures.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Coramoor
Again, this is why the US is really sucking anymore. No one is ever responsible for their own actions.

People can get just as drunk off of beer, especially freshmen, as they can hard liquor.

I've been in school long enough to see that most of the time I get in trouble does involve hard liquor-but that's after a bottle myself. Still doesn't justify banning it.
I agree...on the surface perhaps it will look like the adminsitration is taking action...but really students who are out to get drunk will think that since it's 'harder' (I only say harder b/c lets face it...there not going to all lay down their bottles of Wild Turkey in simple subordination) to get drunk without hard booze and they'll think need to double their efforts as they try to drink 20 beers instead of taking 10 shots...not realizing that they are really taking in twice as much alcohol. Bad things can happen with beer too.

I don't claim to know what the reasonable answer is, but this looks like a band-aid to me. It's not always WHAT you are drinking, but the drinking itself, how its done, and the attitude towards it, those are where the real problems rest and where the real solutions must be geared towards. It's not an impossible task to change a collegiate cultural attitude that existed for decades...it takes a lot of time, patients, and effort...three things that Universities afraid of lawsuits and parents and students who want to place blame elsewhere sometimes don't have.

Don't blame Jack Daniels, Johnny Walker, Jose, or even the Captain...if you want to place blame then blame the kids who don't take responsibility for their own actions, blame the parents for not teaching them how to be responsible, blame decades of college culture for creating this trend, and then stop blaming and work to find real solutions.

Last edited by UNLDelt; 11-22-2005 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UNLDelt
I agree...on the surface perhaps it will look like the adminsitration is taking action...but really students who are out to get drunk will think that since it's 'harder' (I only say harder b/c lets face it...there not going to all lay down their bottles of Wild Turkey in simple subordination) to get drunk without hard booze and they'll think need to double their efforts as they try to drink 20 beers instead of taking 10 shots...not realizing that they are really taking in twice as much alcohol. Bad things can happen with beer too.

I don't claim to know what the reasonable answer is, but this looks like a band-aid to me. It's not always WHAT you are drinking, but the drinking itself, how its done, and the attitude towards it, those are where the real problems rest and where the real solutions must be geared towards. It's not an impossible task to change a collegiate cultural attitude that existed for decades...it takes a lot of time, patients, and effort...three things that Universities afraid of lawsuits and parents and students who want to place blame elsewhere sometimes don't have.

Don't blame Jack Daniels, Johnny Walker, Jose, or even the Captain...if you want to place blame then blame the kids who don't take responsibility for their own actions, blame the parents for not teaching them how to be responsible, blame decades of college culture for creating this trend, and then stop blaming and work to find real solutions.

Funny, Discussed this with IRS Agent who came in the Store today 2 Hours! His Daughter is a AXO From Ks. State and told Exactly How I felt and He Totallay agreed. He was not ever a Greek, But Paid for One!

Federal Govt. Held The Startes Feet to The Fire about Highway Funds to raise the Age to 21 for drinking of anything.

So Now is the day and age of Give Me and Just Drink untill drunk!

"Give Me" being The Key Words.

The Chapters and Their Brothers/Sisters have to be the Guardians now. It just isnt happening.!

Drink in Binges, Haze and see what We see!

They dont! They Dont get it!

3 Chapters at Un. Ks are Gone, and just why?

A Strong Greek System!

Maybe It is Stoopidity!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-22-2005, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TristanDSP
I'm actually glad they did this...drinking hard liquor is different from drinking beer when people choose not to set limits on themselves...

It's funny though, because these things were already banned before, so it's like they made a rule already implemented.

I still don't know how this will decrease the number of crimes. SDSU is currently under the biggest crime wave in 20 years, but the vast majority of them are occuring outside the parties, on empty streets and parking structures and by non-SDSU students who don't get inot parties and shouldn't be in the neighborhood to begin with.

It sucks because all the wrong people are coming to SDSU because it's a party scene, and then they get pissed when they don't get in...I mean, you're not an SDSU student let alone Greek...
Agreed. It's great that Doug is trying to crack down on the drinking and all, but I honestly don't think it has much to do with the crime that has been occuring around here recently.

Also...I don't think the ban is going to decrease the amount of drinking or hard liquor around here. It is already not allowed anyway, and people (greeks or nongreeks) are just going to be more careful about when and where they drink.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Hard liquor is no good:

Nov. 21, 2005 ]

Student injured in suspected fall from window

By Devon Lash
Collegian Staff Writer

A Penn State student has been hospitalized for serious back and neck injuries, which police said may have resulted from a fall from a fraternity house window around 5 a.m. Saturday.

The 19-year-old student was transported to Mount Nittany Medical Center and flown to Geisinger Medical Center after neighbors heard her calling for help outside of Tau Kappa Epilson fraternity, 346 E. Prospect Ave., early Saturday morning, the State College Police Department said. Police declined to release the woman's name.

State College police Detective Chris Weaver said medical professionals are optimistic about her condition and believe she will make a full recovery.

Doctors said the victim's injuries are consistent with a fall from "some height" -- at least a second-story window, Weaver said. Given the victim's location, he said, there are six possible windows from which she could've fallen.

Weaver said the woman was located in an alley on the west side of the house under the influence of alcohol and complaining of back and neck pain.

Weaver said police have determined the victim was drinking elsewhere until she arrived at Tau Kappa Epsilon around 11 p.m. He said fraternity members denied there was any large party at the fraternity that night or that the victim had been drinking at the house.

He said some fraternity members told police the victim was last seen sleeping inside the house around 2:30 a.m. Police have not determined the victim's whereabouts from 2:30 a.m. until she was discovered at 5 a.m.

(More in the newspaper)