GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 637
0 members and 637 guests
No Members online

Old 09-20-2005, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xplpx16
Disney Internships/Disney College Program

Has anyone done this or known anyone who has? If so, what did you go for? I'm thinking of going for Radio Communications. If anyone was in that program, how was it? Also... What was your cast position? Thanks!
Old 09-20-2005, 02:53 AM
GreekChat Member

A thread that already exists

I know it's extremely hard to get one of the advanced internships unless you've served your slave labor time.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Xylochick216
I know it's extremely hard to get one of the advanced internships unless you've served your slave labor time.
I did it. Not sure how I did it, but I did.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

I'll be flying to Orlando this Thursday to visit two of our students who are in the Disney College Program. They both love working at Disney. In fact, I'll be spending most of my time convincing them to come back to Ohio. LOL
Old 09-20-2005, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Facts about the Disney Program--

Most students end up dropping out of their college to attend community college, UCF, Rollins or Stetson Colleges in order to stay in Orlando. Or they drop out of school entirely. The place just sucks you in.

You're going to be doing a lot of menial labor and very little effective internship things. You have to put in your time.

The roach-infested love nest where you will be living, Vista Way, is affectionately nicknamed "Vista LAY" by the locals because of all the interns hooking up with each other.

There are pros and cons. It can be a life-changing experience. But from what I've seen and heard, Disney gets the better deal out of the program.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf

Most students end up dropping out of their college to attend community college, UCF, Rollins or Stetson Colleges in order to stay in Orlando. Or they drop out of school entirely. The place just sucks you in.

You're going to be doing a lot of menial labor and very little effective internship things. You have to put in your time.

The roach-infested love nest where you will be living, Vista Way, is affectionately nicknamed "Vista LAY" by the locals because of all the interns hooking up with each other.

There are pros and cons. It can be a life-changing experience. But from what I've seen and heard, Disney gets the better deal out of the program.
I had a pledge sister who went and did this program. She never came back and no one has heard from her since. (that was going on 6 years ago)
Old 09-20-2005, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

It sounds cult-like.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
It sounds cult-like.
From what I hear, it is very cult like. There's an article in a small publication, Radar Magazine, in the Summer 2005 issue that talks about work life at Disney. Very interesting.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Don't tell me that!
Now I'll have to make sure my girls come back!
Old 09-20-2005, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

It's a very strange place. The people are nice, don't get me wrong, but few of those who attended a Central Florida school finish that school if they get sucked into an hourly theme park job. The park people tend to become their best friends, they move to the other side of town and even though the parks brag about their tuition reimbursement program, those who do use it can take 8 years to get through a traditional 4-year program.

I got a marketing internship with one of the parks before I graduated and I ended up working there for 1.5 years. I saw plenty of students who came from either the Orlando colleges or came for the summer to intern or work at any of the parks... some went home, many stayed and transferred to an Orlando school... or they just "postponed" college and partied the days away, sleeping off their hangovers in time to make it to the park to peddle balloons or flip burgers.

Only the strong make it out!
Old 09-20-2005, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Vista Way cast members:

link

another person who worked there

Last edited by DGMarie; 09-20-2005 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
It sounds cult-like.
It is. From the HR issued "Look Book" (a manual detailing acceptable cast member appearance) to the "Traditions" class (or, Why Disney Is Great 101), it's all about conformity and loving the mouse. Sure, I had a great time while there - I actually enjoyed my job, liked most of my roommates, and got a killer tan - but I always saw Disney for what it is...a Fortune 100 company whose primary aim is not to make "dreams come true" or some bs like that, but rather, to make money. It's amazing how many people don't realize that and fall into the Disney trap hook, line, and sinker.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xplpx16
I mean, this kinda sucks... it sounded really really iffy to me. I want to go, so I can *hopefully* become a DJ for Radio Disney. I don't want to work a full 40 hour week in the park. I wanna work in the radio station. I mean, I would even do it for little to no pay. I just want a great internship. It sounded great at first, now it just sounds like hell the more and more I hear about it. I was reading over the "requirements" and you can't wear jeans to class? You have to follow their dress code, who the hell cares what you wear to class? and the thing about covering all my tattoos and piercings is rediculous. It's not like I have a hundred of them either. I have 2 tattoos, only one being visible (on my wrist) and it is tasteful... granted I have 7 piercings, 4 in the ears, nose, tongue and labret, but I wear little diamonds and just a plain metal bar in my tongue. It's my style and it looks very tasteful and clean, but god forbid someone who looks a little different. What is the point of conformity here? The whole point is to go there to get educated, not to learn to conform. Conformity is dead. That just kinda upset me.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xplpx16
I mean, this kinda sucks... it sounded really really iffy to me. I want to go, so I can *hopefully* become a DJ for Radio Disney. I don't want to work a full 40 hour week in the park. I wanna work in the radio station. I
What is the point of conformity here? The whole point is to go there to get educated, not to learn to conform. Conformity is dead. That just kinda upset me.

If you really want a radio internship, I'd look at a local radio station. You're not going to find what you want at Disney.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xplpx16
Conformity is dead.
Sadly, it is alive and well. I can tell you that if you work at any Orlando park, you will have to take out your piercings and cover up your body art, no matter what. These are family-oriented parks and all employees must project a standard image. When I worked for one of the parks, there were standards for men and women whether you worked in the park or in the professional offices-- men's hair had to be kept at a standard length, no earrings. Women were not allowed to wear open toed shoes, you were limited on how much jewlery was permitted (one ring per hand; your wedding set would count as one ring for your left hand of course), etc.

I agree with RedRose--- you'd be better suited to getting a radio internship locally. Also, get a student membership to a professional society-- go to their luncheons and functions to meet people in the industry-- personal connections are the best way to get a job. Good luck!