GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 947
2 members and 945 guests
chi-o_cat, indygphib

Old 04-21-2011, 02:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Lane swerve again...this reminds me a bit of the predominantly Jewish organizations that have opted to be under the NPC umbrella. I know that there have been some NPC issues on which SDT was the lone hold-out, and it trickled down to the campus level, in some cases. On the other hand, it has probably meant a lot of opportunity for SDT (and AEPhi/DPhiE), so I wouldn't go so far as to say different goals mean different councils.
IIRC, DPhiE was founded as a non-sectarian sorority, NOT a Jewish sorority, despite the founders (again, IIRC) all being Jewish woman.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by psy View Post
IIRC, DPhiE was founded as a non-sectarian sorority, NOT a Jewish sorority, despite the founders (again, IIRC) all being Jewish woman.
Yes, as was Phi Sigma Sigma.

The bottom line, though, is that they were founded because the existing NPC groups were not "meeting their needs", so to speak.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Dragon View Post
As you say, many factors came together for the founding of NALFO. I was also active at the time and I remember one of the factors being the size difference between CHNL orgs and most orgs that eventually became NALFO founding members.

I didn't think that the west-east was not such a big factor, but I could be wrong. Back then, of the 9 founding members of NALFO, 1 was Midwest founded (APsiL), 1 was founded in the South (ODPhi), 3 were West Coast founded (GZA, LThN, NAK) and 4 were East Coast founded (SLU, LAU, OFB, ARL), while in CHNL, 2 were from the Midwest (SLB, SLG), 2 from the south (ODPhi, KDChi), and the rest were from the East (LTPhi, LTA, LSU, CUS, Phiota, SIA, LUL).

Yet, if you look at the list, there is a 30+ difference in chapters today, as it was back then, between the smallest CNHL fraternity and the largest NALFO's. As for the Sororities, SLU could have been easily in CHNL, while there is a 15+ difference to the next NALFO sorority. Size does matter for each org strategy making process and NALFO can't really serve the same way an LTA with 100+ and an APS with 10-.

I agree that the strategies and goals of LGLO's and HLGLO's are different, but a trade org, such as NIC, does not govern its member organizations. I cannot speak for other orgs that left NALFO, but SLB left due to NALFO's increasing regulatory policies. If the council is a governing council, LGLO and HLGLO's might not fit together, but under a trade org, which main purpose is lobbying for its members and creating programing that help them, and not so much governing them, there would be no problem.

Although I do see you point LatinaAlumna and I agree with you. I don't want want anybody imposing policies that affect my organization's government.
I was going to let this go as just an obvious misrepresentation but my
conscious says no...Sorry I'm just reminding everybody of this post from a while ago... that is all. Though regulatory is and forever will be repeated by Little Dragon it is obvious to the rest of the LGLO world it was the 1st semester freshman thing and a raising of the GPA these were the only 2 real regulations given. Truth be told SLG and SLB were likely to be sectioned and/or voted out of NALFO in one of the next 2 meetings. Leaving was a preemptive measure as to not tarnish themselves. That is all…good day. I will not be responding to posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demasiado View Post
Right after SLB left NALFO coquidragon went to work.

Your leaders said so here: http://www.eliluminador.com/2010/03/06/lbcast-episode-7-ibod-meeting-re-cap/

"… the increasingly regulatory nature of NALFO namely one of the issues.. the restriction of not allowing of 1st semester freshman..."

Even though more reasons we alluded to, no other reason was mentioned....
Old 04-21-2011, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greektruth View Post
I was going to let this go as just an obvious misrepresentation but my
conscious says no...Sorry I'm just reminding everybody of this post from a while ago... that is all. Though regulatory is and forever will be repeated by Little Dragon it is obvious to the rest of the LGLO world it was the 1st semester freshman thing and a raising of the GPA these were the only 2 real regulations given. Truth be told SLG and SLB were likely to be sectioned and/or voted out of NALFO in one of the next 2 meetings. Leaving was a preemptive measure as to not tarnish themselves. That is all…good day. I will not be responding to posts.

So -- the first semester freshman rule was not regulatory in nature?

Thanks for coming with THE GREEK TRUTH.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
So -- the first semester freshman rule was not regulatory in nature?

Thanks for coming with THE GREEK TRUTH.
I think he meant that the first semester freshmen rule was/is regulatory in nature.

Greektruth:
"it was the 1st semester freshman thing and a raising of the GPA these were the only 2 real regulations given."
Old 04-21-2011, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIA1931 View Post
I think he meant that the first semester freshmen rule was/is regulatory in nature.

Greektruth:
"it was the 1st semester freshman thing and a raising of the GPA these were the only 2 real regulations given."
Quote:
Though regulatory is and forever will be repeated by Little Dragon it is obvious to the rest of the LGLO world it was the 1st semester freshman thing and a raising of the GPA these were the only 2 real regulations given.
I read this as "Even though Little Dragon will say otherwise, it's because of X and Y, not regulatory issues"

Either way, this person is dumb for creating an account to say something that's already been said and for flouncing on top of that.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Just listened to that pod-cast.

There is something to be said about putting the needs and best interest of your fellow students in front of the desires of your organization. I'd rather see Latinas/os (in this case) become well-acclimated to the college environment, and focus on establishing a strong GPA during their first semester/quarter than join my sorority, even if my chapter was low on numbers. If the majority of NALFO organizations saw fit to restrict the membership process to 2nd semester/quarter freshmen, they all can't be wrong (and some of these orgs. are hurting for numbers, too).
Old 04-21-2011, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaAlumna View Post
Just listened to that pod-cast.

There is something to be said about putting the needs and best interest of your fellow students in front of the desires of your organization. I'd rather see Latinas/os (in this case) become well-acclimated to the college environment, and focus on establishing a strong GPA during their first semester/quarter than join my sorority, even if my chapter was low on numbers. If the majority of NALFO organizations saw fit to restrict the membership process to 2nd semester/quarter freshmen, they all can't be wrong (and some of these orgs. are hurting for numbers, too).
I see it this way too. As a current undergrad it's more important for me to see my fellow community members succeed than to have them pledge my org right away. I've seen way too many of my friends struggle with the transition to a university setting and class load. Many(not all) Latinos on my campus aren't even well-acclimated to a college environment until their second year. It's unfortunate, but that's part of our reality.

A few years back many NALFO member orgs at my school were getting a bad rep with Latino administrators because there were students pledging LGLO as freshmen and "suddenly" ending up on academic probation the semester they crossed. It kind of defeats the whole purpose of coming to a university. I'd say, without speculating on any induction process, that a lot of this had to do with those students needing more time to learn what it takes to succeed academically in a college environment.

Personally, I prefer that interested individuals are in their second year most of the time. This is a life time commitment that I'm not sure most(Not all) 17/18 year old first semester freshmen still learning the proper way to play Beer Pong can always comprehend. An entire semester can at least give the chapter and the individual more time before deciding if they are a good fit for each other. Just my opinion based on my campus...
Old 04-21-2011, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Freshmen recruitment and GPA requirements.

Even though this is not the topic for the thread, on the 1st Semester Freshmen question, I would like to say a couple of things.

1. Don't NIC/NPC ors recruit freshmen? YES. Don't Greek student have better graduation rates than non-Greeks? YES. This being said, isn't the LGLO's critic for freshmen recruitment a critic on mainstream greek recruitment? It may appear so. That's my opinion and I admit I could be wrong. Still, how can this be so wrong? Wouldn't 100 years of college experience prove them a point? I know Latino students live a different reality, let's talk about it.

2. I will speak about my experience. I joined SLB as a 1st semester freshman (I was a 1st semester freshman when I joined the interest group that became the founders at my school), so I think this gives me the right to speak on the subject. When I joined as a freshman, coming from out-of-state, I barely knew anybody. In the fraternity, I found men who quickly became my friends, who help me, who taught me about time management, who gave me study tips, who guided me through my first years and help me become well-acclimated to the college environment. I would have had it very hard to becoming well-acclimated without them. Could I have done it alone? YES. Is that better? I say it depends on the person, for me, it was better my joining SLB. Did the fraternity take time? YES, but had it not been the fraternity, I would have found another extracurricular activity that would still take off my time. SLB did take a lot of my time, specially during the educational process (No, SLB founders are not skaters, we do pledge), but it gave me a lot more back. Everything I received, made me love my letters and love my fraternity. Today, I am a post-graduate alumni. I don't think there is anything wrong with freshmen recruitment, even 1st semester freshmen.

3. Even though SLB does allow freshmen to join, allowing is not the same as only recruiting freshmen. Most men who join SLB are not freshmen, some are, and none of them that I know of, ever regrets it. Freshmen can join, but they are but a part of the new members.

As an addendum, for the GPA requirement, read #2 again. In the fraternity, there is academic support, free tutors, second hand materials, etc. Again, can you find help to raise your GPA outside the fraternity? YES. Nevertheless, I was helped, and helped back many of our new members to bring their grades up. How do you help a Latino student more? Telling him to come back once his grades are better? Or, helping them raise them yourself? You could say we could help him before he joins. That's true, but as a member, he would get the whole experience I talked about in #2.

I know my experience will not convince everybody who is against the freshmen recruitment or will not change anybody's opinion on SLBs GPA requirement, but let's not demonize these two points.

ΓΒΦ, BΓΣ, ΦKΦ, OΔK
Societies

Old 04-21-2011, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Observations:

SLB seems more similar to an NIC fraternity than an NPHC fraternity based on Little Dragon's post.

I think the majority of the NALFO groups seem to be recognizing the lack of preparation which many minorities suffer from due to crumbling urban school systems in communities where Latinos may be the majority and institutional racism in school systems where Latinos may be the minority.

If SLB doesn't see things that way -- or address them differently -- then that's fine for SLB of course. But I really wish they had conceded that point to NALFO.

ETA: This is moreso in response to point #1 -- I don't think the comparison to NIC orgs is a reasonable one because white people don't (on the whole) have the same retention issues in higher education.

Last edited by Senusret I; 04-21-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Dragon View Post
Even though this is not the topic for the thread, on the 1st Semester Freshmen question, I would like to say a couple of things.

1. Don't NIC/NPC ors recruit freshmen? YES. Don't Greek student have better graduation rates than non-Greeks? YES. This being said, isn't the LGLO's critic for freshmen recruitment a critic on mainstream greek recruitment? It may appear so. That's my opinion and I admit I could be wrong. Still, how can this be so wrong? Wouldn't 100 years of college experience prove them a point? I know Latino students live a different reality, let's talk about it.

2. I will speak about my experience. I joined SLB as a 1st semester freshman (I was a 1st semester freshman when I joined the interest group that became the founders at my school), so I think this gives me the right to speak on the subject. When I joined as a freshman, coming from out-of-state, I barely knew anybody. In the fraternity, I found men who quickly became my friends, who help me, who taught me about time management, who gave me study tips, who guided me through my first years and help me become well-acclimated to the college environment. I would have had it very hard to becoming well-acclimated without them. Could I have done it alone? YES. Is that better? I say it depends on the person, for me, it was better my joining SLB. Did the fraternity take time? YES, but had it not been the fraternity, I would have found another extracurricular activity that would still take off my time. SLB did take a lot of my time, specially during the educational process (No, SLB founders are not skaters, we do pledge), but it gave me a lot more back. Everything I received, made me love my letters and love my fraternity. Today, I am a post-graduate alumni. I don't think there is anything wrong with freshmen recruitment, even 1st semester freshmen.

3. Even though SLB does allow freshmen to join, allowing is not the same as only recruiting freshmen. Most men who join SLB are not freshmen, some are, and none of them that I know of, ever regrets it. Freshmen can join, but they are but a part of the new members.

As an addendum, for the GPA requirement, read #2 again. In the fraternity, there is academic support, free tutors, second hand materials, etc. Again, can you find help to raise your GPA outside the fraternity? YES. Nevertheless, I was helped, and helped back many of our new members to bring their grades up. How do you help a Latino student more? Telling him to come back once his grades are better? Or, helping them raise them yourself? You could say we could help him before he joins. That's true, but as a member, he would get the whole experience I talked about in #2.

I know my experience will not convince everybody who is against the freshmen recruitment or will not change anybody's opinion on SLBs GPA requirement, but let's not demonize these two points.
I know I said I wouldn't respond but ... I want to point out the GPA requirement for SLB is a HIGH SCHOOL GPA of 2.35 (Note this is flexible) this person barely got into college. The grand majority of mainstream Greeks have a much higher GPA requirement for 1st semester freshman. I disappear once again...
Old 04-21-2011, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know I said I wouldn't respond but ... I want to point out the GPA requirement for SLB is a HIGH SCHOOL GPA of 2.35 (Note this is flexible) this person barely got into college. The grand majority of mainstream Greeks have a much higher GPA requirement for 1st semester freshman. I disappear once again...
Are you a Beta?

If not, you don't need to be speaking so definitively about the organization. If so, you are stupid for putting your business on the street.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Observations:

I think the majority of the NALFO groups seem to be recognizing the lack of preparation which many minorities suffer from due to crumbling urban school systems in communities where Latinos may be the majority and institutional racism in school systems where Latinos may be the minority.

ETA: This is moreso in response to point #1 -- I don't think the comparison to NIC orgs is a reasonable one because white people don't (on the whole) have the same retention issues in higher education.
Senusret I hits the nail on the head.

I would also like to add that there is a growing number of college campuses that have moved to second semester recruitment for NPC and IFC organizations. Allowing 1st year students to join GLOs in their first term just isn't a best practice in the eyes of many higher education scholars and professionals.

There are many LGLOs (or orgs that started out as LGLOs) that place a high priority on academic excellence, but I realize that not everyone shares this focus. That's fine, but I do have a serious question:

How the HELL does a person get into ANY 4-year university with a 2.35 high school GPA? Is this a regional thing(?), because in CA, a 2.35 cumulative = straight to community college (with very limited exceptions).
Old 04-21-2011, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Are you a Beta?

If not, you don't need to be speaking so definitively about the organization. If so, you are stupid for putting your business on the street.
It's on the website http://www.sigmalambdabeta.com/index2.html
Old 04-21-2011, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaAlumna View Post
How the HELL does a person get into ANY 4-year university with a 2.35 high school GPA? Is this a regional thing(?), because in CA, a 2.35 cumulative = straight to community college (with very limited exceptions).
Girrrrrlllll...... you'd be surprised at the number of schools which have open enrollment, confer bachelor's degrees, and have Greek systems. (At least NPHC orgs)