GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,351
3 members and 1,348 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17, JayhawkAOII
Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgirl12 View Post
Haha. Ok maybe I should clarify a little bit. One girl I've known since I was little but she lives in a different city than I do... it wouldn't be a good idea for me to just tell her I plan on rushing and then that way she would know. Then there is another girl I met in class and I asked her how rush was for her and stuff. She told me rush was "hell" but to stick with it because the actual sorority is fun. Also, last summer a girl actually contacted me and asked if I was interested in joining and what not (her dad knows my dad and she was letting me know that if I needed anything not to hesitate to ask her).

Sorry to ramble but I just wanted to give some examples of situation. Is it still not a good idea to just tell them I plan on rushing and to look for me?
If you know girls well, it's ok to let them know that you're planning on rushing.

However, the "look for me" part may come off as a little odd because they may feel like you're expecting them to somehow get you a bid.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I understand. OH! I have another question... sorry you have a Curious George on your hands. Anyway, my mom's best friend was a DG at a different college, and she actually played a significant role in the sorority and became house mother later on. Would a recommendation from her be beneficial, or would it not matter very much because she attended a different college?
Old 05-24-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgirl12 View Post
I understand. OH! I have another question... sorry you have a Curious George on your hands. Anyway, my mom's best friend was a DG at a different college, and she actually played a significant role in the sorority and became house mother later on. Would a recommendation from her be beneficial, or would it not matter very much because she attended a different college?

Your rec writers can be from ANY chapter of that sorority.

They do not have to be from UF.

Your mom's friend CAN write you a rec for DG, even though she is not a UF alumna.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-24-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Terrific! Thanks so much for all your help!
Old 05-26-2009, 12:32 AM

For the love of all that is holy.

If you are going through sorority recruitment and have questions, you need to read THIS thread before you ask any questions.

It probably answers 99.9% of them:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=54403

I repeat, you should NOT ask any recruitment questions until you read this thread and see if it's been answered.

Chances are good that your situation is NOT unique and your question is addressed somewhere in there.

Also, do a SEARCH for your school because if you go to a larger school, chances are good that it has been discussed here 3434343565 times. For example, I did a search for "Central Florida" and found 10 UCF threads.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-26-2009 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's an actual newbie question I have...Is there anyway you can visit a sorority and see what their all about with out being a student from that particular school?

I think the answers no, but I want to confirm. Because of financial issues I have to go to a school with no greek life, but once I get my residency I plan to transfer to the nearest school that does, but only if I think it'll be totally worth it...
Old 02-09-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LdsGal202 View Post
Here's an actual newbie question I have...Is there anyway you can visit a sorority and see what they're all about with out being a student from that particular school?

I think the answer's no, but I want to confirm. Because of financial issues I have to go to a school with no greek life, but once I get my residency I plan to transfer to the nearest school that does, but only if I think it'll be totally worth it...
If you have friends in that sorority, they may invite you to visit. But you just can't randomly show up and say "hey, give me a tour!" Even with this, is't hard to see "what it's all about" through a visit with a friend. Some schools have Greek preview weekends in the spring for girls who are rushing the following autumn.

You also probably want to be sure something like this is OK with BYU as I realize they have more stringent rules for their students' off-campus activities than most colleges.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Resource for Greek Entrepreneurship

Forgive me as I am new here (although I have read many of the forums, this is my first actual post as a registered user), but I wanted to share a cool resource for those in the greek system interested in entrepreneurship:

www.Fratrepreneur.com

Among articles of potential business ideas, discussions of current economic conditions/trends, and interviews of entrepreneurs, it also contains lifestyle articles on the social scene. There are also administrative resources for fraternity executives.

Disclaimer: it's purely editorial. If you don't like it, don't read it

Thanks! And I look forward to participating in further discussion about Greek Life!
Old 04-19-2010, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniGreek007 View Post
Forgive me as I am new here (although I have read many of the forums, this is my first actual post as a registered user), but I wanted to share a cool resource for those in the greek system interested in entrepreneurship:
And you put it in this thread instead of, say, in the Cool Sites forum?

How very spamtrepreneurial of you.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Guess I deserved that...
Old 04-19-2010, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
And you put it in this thread instead of, say, in the Cool Sites forum?

How very spamtrepreneurial of you.
Dude DID spamalot in that forum with the SAME post at http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh....php?t=112970:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniGreek007 View Post

www.Fratrepreneur.com

Among articles of potential business ideas, discussions of current economic conditions/trends, and interviews of entrepreneurs, it also contains lifestyle articles on the social scene. There are also administrative resources for fraternity executives.

Disclaimer: it's purely editorial. If you don't like it, don't read it

Thanks! And I look forward to participating in further discussion about Greek Life!
They also have a FB page. Yawn.

Does OP not know the definition of the word spam? He even uses a spammy sounding last line. He looks forward to discussing Greek life but his first/only posts are about a business?

Old 04-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Banned

He/she created that thread after posting in this thread.

It's spamtastic
Old 04-22-2010, 06:21 PM

That is a lie sorority and fraternities have national reputations.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngreek12 View Post
Old 04-22-2010, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Then why did you ask this question?

Quote:
Is ATO still big? The chapters in Louisiana are all gone but we use to have a lot. My dad was an ATO and I was thinking of joining when I transferred to Olemiss.

Closed Thread