GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,278
2 members and 1,276 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 11-30-2001, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamAgain
Interested in you?

OK So through all the posts I have a pretty good idea about how to act, dress, sell myself, etc. during rush, but how do you know if a sorority is really interested in you? I've read a lot about how rushers will pump up a rushee about how much they love them, and then they don't get invited back... what gives? How do you really know they like you and they aren't just being cordial because they feel they have to?
Old 11-30-2001, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, if you keep getting invited back through each round...that's generally a pretty good sign! LOL. If you get invited back to the preference party, in most cases you can be sure that you are being very seriously considered for a bid. At some point, you have to take the leap of faith and trust that you will end up in the right place for you! Even if you don't end up with your first choice, most of the time you'll still be very happy with your second or your third!
Old 11-30-2001, 08:42 PM

The same way you know if someone NOT in a sorority really likes you or is just being cordial! If they are really conversing with you and not just saying "mm hmm" at proper intervals, good eye contact, if they share stuff with you about themselves too.
Old 11-30-2001, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

ok,
a few things
You should keep in mind that some people in the sorority may really want you, and others don't etc. A sister may not always be lying when she acts like she is into you.
Also, during rush, just be yourself. You can get a lot further this way, and are a lot more comfortable, be as confident as possible. Other things I can think of, if the same girl rushes you at each party may be a good sign, and if you are introduced to a lot of sisters that may be one too Hope this helps and good luck, but go for the chapter you want. See what is all out there before making a decision.
Old 12-01-2001, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking all good advice

just relax and have fun with the conversation and let your personal radar kick in. you know when you feel comfortable. let that play out and you should be just fine.
good luck.
mmcat
Old 12-01-2001, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

In rush--well, heck, all through your life--someone who isn't interested in you won't make eye contact and may even keep looking around in search of "more interesting" people. If you get more than one rusher who's like that, you might consider other groups.
Old 12-01-2001, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I asked these wonderful folks on GC the exact same thing as my daughter was preparing for rush. The above advice is right on the mark. My daughter called a LOT during the process. She KNEW who would cut her and who she would cut about 5-10 minutes into the party...except for one instance at her pref parties. When you walk away from a party thinking-I got stuck with a bad rusher-chances are you aren't as high on their list as some of the other rushees, at least that is how SHE knew. THIS STATEMENT IS NOT AN ABSOLUTE-JUST A BAROMETER. Having a bad rusher could ALSO be due to the number of GREAT, and I emphasize great, legacies and girls going through. Since you've read the rush threads, you know it can be very competitive.

BEST OF LUCK ONLY!
Old 12-03-2001, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamAgain
Thanks so much you guys! Y'all are all so helpful!!! I rush in January, so I'll tell you how it goes! Thanks again!!
Old 12-03-2001, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I agree, it's not that hard to figure out which houses you'll get cut from! When I was going through rush, the houses that cut me were usually ones where I felt like I didn't really get along with the girl who was rushing me. Of course, that isn't always the case...I got cut from houses where I felt like I'd had a great conversation and got preffed at one house by a girl who obviously remembered me but who I hadn't the foggiest memory of ever meeting! As bad as this sounds, all the girls in my chapter were instructed to look and act interested to EVERY potential member who walked through the door (and that was about 600). It's usually just a gut feeling you have that lets you know if a house is interested, but as I said, you could be surprised! But that's half the fun of rush week.
Old 12-03-2001, 01:38 PM
UMgirl

We really dont get enough time to talk to the rushees and really get to know them. So dont feel bad if you dont get asked back, cuz its not you, we just have to go by the lil we get, and sometimes its not much. Also a girl told me this when I went through rush and it was so on and made me feel much more comfortable.... You could be the most sweetest of girls and I could love you to death, but if I dont feel that youll get along well in this house, Im not going to want you back. We wouldnt want you miserable and then have you deactivate. which makes perfect sense. Just keep trying like everyone says and be yourself and you'll be fine. Good Luck
Old 12-04-2001, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow january rush is a little different...

If you have a pretty good sense of who you are, it is usually not very hard to tell which groups you'd fit into and which you wouldn't. When I was rushing a few years ago (it was a Jan. rush), I was cut by a couple of groups, but I definitely wasn't shocked not to be invited back. It was very clear to me that I was a much better "fit" with the groups that did ask me back for the next rounds. You didn't say where you go to school, but since you're rushing in January you may have been allowed to get to know some of the older girls over the fall. Did anyone seem to go out of her way to really get to know you (if you have open contact during the fall before rush)?? Did anyone take you to dinner (if that's allowed), or make a point of introducing you to her older friends? If the sorority girls have been paying attention to you fall semester, that's a good sign. During rush party conversations, you'll really be able to tell if you're "clicking" with your rusher or not. See if the conversation ever moves beyond "how was your break, how do you like college so far, blah blah blah" and onto more interesting, funny, or personal topics.