GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,253
1 members and 2,252 guests
Sister Havana

Old 01-17-2020, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh god carnation I'm rolling! Because I grew up in a house with only boys it was called a pledge and rush (my dad was in a fraternity in college and my brothers were in the same chapter at the same uni!) so I'm honestly still getting used to NPC terms.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-18-2020, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

LOL. Seems like the only term you don't hear much is pledge, but I still hear "rush" a bunch. And, can't figure why it's not ok to call someone a "pledge" but ok to call new members "babies" ? I'd rather be a pledge than be called a "baby". Maybe it's my age. Seems like it's raining and getting colder this weekend-good luck to the PMN's! Hang in there!
Old 01-18-2020, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

The national NPC orgs do not support the use of the term "baby." Now we all know that things like this are hard to get rid of on the chapter level.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyrose2 View Post
LOL. Seems like the only term you don't hear much is pledge, but I still hear "rush" a bunch. And, can't figure why it's not ok to call someone a "pledge" but ok to call new members "babies" ? I'd rather be a pledge than be called a "baby". Maybe it's my age. Seems like it's raining and getting colder this weekend-good luck to the PMN's! Hang in there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
The national NPC orgs do not support the use of the term "baby." Now we all know that things like this are hard to get rid of on the chapter level.
It does seem like the "baby" thing isn't as prominent as it once was, though (fortunately). There was a time not too long ago when it seemed like every post on social media was about welcoming "our new baby ____!" I think enough NPC orgs put out messages discouraging the use of the word - and the reasons why - and it's largely fallen by the wayside.

@~/~~~~
Old 01-18-2020, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

My rho gam goddaughter was upset she had two girls in her group drop yesterday after they got their lists, but she also convinced two others to stay in and give the houses they got a try. She said other than that, she had a mostly happy group!
Old 01-18-2020, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello ladies! New to posting, but followed last year as my daughter was a PNM and this year now that she's on the other side.

Just want to comment that changing verbiage doesn't matter much IMO when there continues to be an unofficial tier system that undermines so many houses that are doing amazing things at IU and pushes so many great girls to drop during recruitment b/c they make decisions based on "pairs" vs academics, philanthropy, and sisterhood.

Why are some of these "top tier" houses playing into this game of being proud of their rank when it's based on the men they are associated with vs what THEY as a group of women bring to the table?!?!?! I know this is the exact opposite of what the founding women of my sorority (and I'm sure ALL of the other 21 on campus) would want their organizations "rank" to be based upon.

Policies discouraging words like "baby," "rush," and "pledge" aren't going to change the culture of Greek Life on a campus. Policies that encourage sororities on campus to refuse to use the current tier system to boast about their houses and trash other houses will.

Just my two cents as an alum of a "middle" tier house with a daughter as a current member. Not trying to be a downer, I just get so frustrated to hear about girls who decide to drop after 9 party b/c they didn't get a certain group of "top" tier houses back on their list. Derogatory terms would be the least of my worries when it comes to empowering PNMs to make the right choice for themselves this week.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:09 PM

The only way I can think of to fix that is a lottery for big things like Homecoming and a rotation where everyone mixes with everyone. The thing is, BOTH sides have to try and make it work. We blame the current climate on the fraternities only wanting to mix with the hottest sororities, but there are plenty of times that sororities aren’t the nicest to “lower tier” fraternities either.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree! I was an AXO at IU and my DD is a XO now at IU and the terrible things that are being said by either frats or sororities on other sites blows my mind. If you are only picking a house based on who they pair with... what's the point? It's the whole experience of being in a sorority. I still have lifelong friends from my years in the house & my DD has had the same experience of genuine friends. I hope PNMs have a positive experience and find the right fit for them. There are all types of girls in each house. My friends DD is going through now and was initially disappointed with her choices from 9 party. She got back 6 house, she didn't get invited back by her favorites, but had a couple that she was still interested in. She went to both of those and really loved one and likes the other. So now she waits until tomorrow morning. I'm hoping she gets one or both of those and gets to see what feels right at preference round. Good luck to all those going through now!
Old 01-19-2020, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

So there are no parties scheduled today?
Old 01-19-2020, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
So there are no parties scheduled today?
Preference is today. Bid night is Tuesday

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-19-2020, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

More silence. Very interesting year on this board. I guess that means all is going well, and all involved are well informed about the process! For those who are stalking, IMO (and I think the opinion of most on this thread), go ahead and attend the preference parties you are invited to! You might find a connection there! The fork in the road for some of us here may be at the point of signing your card, but for now I think we all would agree to continue on with the next step of this process!! Good luck!!

Last edited by ivyrose2; 01-19-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

In years past I think we had more of us who had daughters actually going through as PNM's and this year it doesn't seem like we have anyone, at least none that are posting questions.

The IU Parents Facebook group has been very quiet as well. GR is alive and well with its normal BS type of posts.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

In our friend group, we only have one whose daughter is going through and she is a legacy to two chapters and had them both yesterday. Hoping she has them both today. She has had a very low key recruitment so far, which is very nice for her and her mom!

I also feel like this year may have slightly better outcomes given that IU is following the NPC quota method.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

We know a few girls, one of which is a legacy to my D’s house. The other is a legacy to another house, the third I don’t think is a legacy to any. This will be the last year we know anyone going through rush at IU.

Next year it will be my younger D’s turn but she’s going OOS and rush is nothing like IU ‘s so won’t have the same stress as we did a few years ago.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quiet

I think the thread is quieter because there is now an IU FB group like this thread. I just read on there someones daughter maxed her options and got no bid for Prefs. I didn't think that was possible if you listed all your houses available?