GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,610
2 members and 1,608 guests
FSUZeta, navane

Old 07-09-2004, 02:57 PM

NPHC Sorority Challenge

Basically, same thing as the NPC challenge thread. List something you admire about each group. Try to come up w/something a little more than " I love your colors!" Here's a list of the orgs and their national websites for reference.

Alpha Kappa Alpha- www.aka1908.org
Delta Sigma Theta- www.deltasigmatheta.org
Zeta Phi Beta- www.zphib1920.org
Sigma Gamma Rho- www.sgrho1922.org

I'll start:

*AKA- You were the first sorority in the D9. "Ivy Reading AKAdemy" is a fantastic program. You also have a very beautiful badge. I've met so many awesome AKA women in my life.

*Delta Sigma Theta- For starters, my mom is one and she always speaks highly of "her beloved Delta". Your 5 Point Thrusts are all important areas of focus in the black community. The Deltas here @ Kent are a very classy bunch of ladies.

*Zeta Phi Beta- Here @ Kent, this group is quite impressive. I'm friends with all their newest neos, and they are all top notch ladies and very dedicated to their org. I admire 2 of your purposes: sisterly love and finer womanhood. These are very unique. Also, we hear alot about "bro/sis orgs". Lots of people don't know that you're the ONLY org with a CONSTITUTIONALLY bound brother org., Phi Beta Sigma.

*Sigma Gamma Rho- My cousin is one, and she's one of my biggest role models. I love the motto " Greater Service, Greater Progress". I love the "Operation Big Book Bag" initiative, I think literacy is a great cause.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-09-2004 at 04:25 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-09-2004, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up NPHC

SGeeeeeeeeRhooooo!

Operation BigBookBag
Serves as an invaluable resource to the children by: (1) Affording children with quick and easy access to reference materials and other studying aids and tools that will help them in their educational endeavors; (2)Providing the children with the means of completing their homework assignments in order that they may remain current and up -to -date on course projects and requirements and (3) Assisting the shelters, centers, schools and hospitals in their efforts to meet some of the educational needs of the children and young adults housed at the facilities.
Sigma Youth Symposium
Sponsored in conjunction with and in commemoration of Sigma Week, the Sigma Youth Symposium focuses on some of the prevalent concerns that negatively impact our youth: drugs, teen violence, abuse, low self-esteem, suicide, teen pregnancy, etc. Held on the second Saturday of March by each Alumnae Chapter, simultaneous Sigma Youth Symposiums address issues that affect teens today.

Mwanamugimu (Wah-nah-moo-gee-moo) Project
The Mwanamugimu Project is an essay contest. Its primary goal is to provide an opportunity for students to increase their knowledge of the historical and contemporary development of Africa. Its objectives are to provide the target population with opportunities that (1) allow structured ways to learn about Africa; (2) heighten awareness of African cultural heritage; and (3) improve writing and research skills. The project title, Mwanamugimu, is a proverb form the Republic of Uganda that means "from small acorns come mighty oaks." Chapters sponsor local essay contests that usually include awards programs. Regional contests are also held, with winning essays announced at regional conferences.

Project Reassurance
The care and protection of children is, first and foremost, a family concern. But when teenagers have babies, the consequences are throughout society. Children born to teenage parents are more likely to be of low birth weight and to suffer from inadequate health care, more likely to leave High School without graduating and more likely to be poor, thus perpetuating a cycle of unrealized potential. Conducted in partnership with the March of Dimes, chapters sponsor Workshops and other activities that assist pregnant teens and educate teen mothers about the importance of pre-natal and post-natal care, and to better understand infant care and child development.

Program for Africa
A program to provide African women -who produce more than 75% of the food grown on the continent- with grain grinders. Providing thousands of dollars to buy grain grinders for African women to alleviate their backbreaking work, this program is in conjunction with Africare.

Project Wee Savers
This project is designed to develop an awareness of various banking facilities and their available services. The goal of Wee Savers is to allow participants to become knowledgeable of the real life skills of saving and buying stocks and bonds, ranging from ages 6 to 18 years. Participants experience the real life skills of basic investing, setting specific goals attainable through monitoring and mentoring of money and activities.
Plus we have an array of chapter/local things we do. Habitat for Humanity, Soles for Little Souls, UNCF walk, AIDS Walk, etc..

Our Pan Sisters are doing great things also!

AKA

Their program targets:
Target I - Education
Target II - The Black Family
Target III - Health
Target IV - Economics
Target V - The Arts

DST

2 things:
1. On their website along with the hazing statement, you can read the DAP-Disciplinary Action Report. It lists Chapter Suspensions, Chapter Probations, Member Expulsions, Suspensions in all of their regions, Member Probations, and Applicants Barred from Membership.

2. Their Five-Point Program Thrust of Physical and Mental Health, Educational Development, Economic Development, International Awareness and Involvement, and Political Awareness and Involvement.

ZPhiBeta
Our cousins in blue! I’ve always admired their Stork’s Nest Program

Stork's Nest

Since 1972, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority has enjoyed a partnership with the March of Dimes in an effort to encourage women to seek prenatal care within the first trimester of pregnancy, thereby increasing the prevention of birth defects and infant mortality. Nationwide, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. sponsors over 150 Stork's Nests. Last year, The Stork's Nest program served over 15,000 women.
The Stork's Nest Program is designed to promote prenatal care participation and healthy behaviors during the pregnancy through two components - incentives and education. Stork's Nest clients "earn" points toward incentives, such as maternity or baby care items, through a variety of positive, health-promoting activities such as attending prenatal care appointments, participating in prenatal education classes, keeping appointments for well-baby visits. The Stork's Nest prenatal education sessions provide information, educational materials, and a variety of other resources and referrals that help clients take good care of themselves and their babies.

This is just the tip of the iceberg with the numerous programs we are constantly implementing and participating in.

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 07-09-2004 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:37 PM

bumping

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

AKA - The first and oldest Black Greek Lettered Sorority. Period. There weren't even any precursors or predecessors that tried and failed. In the beginning, there was AKA.

DST - DC stands for Delta City. Deltas are everywhere! Perhaps their greatest influence is in the classroom. Every Delta teacher in DC is a GREAT teacher!

Zeta - When I was a grad student at American, no other sorority women showed me as much love as the Zetas did! (Before and after I became an Alpha!) In addition to the sororal work that they did, they really were kind women.

SGRho - Some of the most down to earth women I've ever met, Sigma Gamma Rho as an organization is very awe-inspiring. Although they are the youngest NPHC sorority, they are the only sorority with TWO volumes of history!
Old 07-09-2004, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

AKA: Like others mentioned, yay to you guys for being the first! While wandering around the AKA website, I saw mentioned that you funded the establishment of 8 Ivy AKAdemy Schools in South Africa. That sounded pretty cool to me but I couldn't find any more information about that. Anyone have anything?

DST: Every semester at UK I see what I guess is the new DST sisters (or pledges, maybe?) celebrating in the Student Center. They all run through cheering and making the "Delta" sign with their fingers. They all look so spirited and proud of their sorority, and it gives a really good impression.

ZPhiB: Your auxiliary groups sound very interesting to me. From the website:
Auxiliaries:
Amicae- Women who do not have college degrees, but have an interest in assisting local auxiliaries with activities. Currently there are over 175 Amicae groups in the USA.
Archonettes- Youth group for young ladies age 14 to 18 currently in high school
Amicettes- Youth group for girls age 9 to 13
Pearlettes- Youth group for young girls age 4 to 8
Zeta Male Network- The gentlemen in the lives of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. Members

I've never heard of a group having auxiliary groups, which sounds like a fun idea.

I also really liked the pictures on the official website. They have pictures of sisters throughout the decades, going from founding to present. I always love seeing old pictures!

SGRho: I've always liked the poodle mascot! I think it's cute.
The website has a part where you can read about SGRho in Spanish or French. That's pretty neat.
Also really into the idea of Operation BigBookBag, but much has already been said abou that!

Something else: When looking around the websites, I noticed that these groups call their convention a "Boule". Why is that? What does that mean? Is it...French? Spanish?

Last edited by TigerLilly; 07-10-2004 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by TigerLilly

SGRho: I've always liked the poodle .....It's interesting that you were founded by seven school teachers (ie not at a university), and only seven years later was your Alpha Chapter established at Butler U. [/B]
You lost me on that..Our Alpha chapter was founded at Butler U. Nov.12, 1922. Did you mean that we were not founded at a teachers university?

NP
(ETA: we were incorporated Dec. 30, 1929)

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 07-09-2004 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to twhrider13
Alpha Kappa Alpha Great colors! Like everyone else has said, it's also cool that they were first. I also really like their badge.

Delta Sigma Theta I love the way their letters look together. I think African violets are super-pretty. Their open motto, "Intelligence is the torch of wisdom," is great.

Zeta Phi Beta I love the way they were the first to charter a chapter in Africa. The dove is a cool mascot. I like the idea of Finer Womanhood week and month.

Sigma Gamma Rho They are another organization with a really pretty badge. I like their open motto, "Greater service, greater progress."
Old 07-10-2004, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
Great idea!

AKA: IMHO, your badge is one of the most beautiful and elegant. It's great that you were the first! I also really like the idea of the "Back to Sleep" campaign.

DST: I really like the idea of the Delta's Five-Point Program. It's great that you support so many causes.

ZPhiB: Finer Womanhood Month and Week is such a great idea!

SGRho: Well, I'm a Butler alum. I'm so proud to have gone to your founding school. I used to love looking at the founders walkway near our union.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:46 AM
GreekChat Member

This is a very good topic.....

Alpha Kappa Alpha AKA - The very first, period, i know that ya'll are proud of that. Your badge is so elegant. I've met some great AKAs in my life and they have touched me greatly. Your Ivy Center is so very impressive. Your 5 Targets are producing well rounded people.

Delta Sigma Theta DSQ - When I was a girl in junior/high school, I always dreamed of being a Delta. I love how your first public act was being a part of the Women's Suffrage March in Washington D.C. I also love how you have specific programs to produce well rounded and aware of the world young women.

Zeta Phi Beta ZFB You guys are just too cool. You are the ONLY sorority to truly have a brother organization. Your National Social Action Committee and Congressional Institute are fantastic, again making everyone aware. Your Auxiliary groups are giving a chance to women who have not attended college a chance of sisterhood....wow

Sigma Gamma Rho SGR - Your badge is wonderful and what the "open" symbolism could be, especially with all of your founders being teachers and your continued committement to learning. Your Affliate programs are so inspiring. (I know but I cant resist)...who could not love the Blue and gold? Your service projects.

I admire all of you ladies, no matter the letter.

ms. gwyn

Last edited by ms_gwyn; 03-17-2005 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NinjaPoodle
You lost me on that..Our Alpha chapter was founded at Butler U. Nov.12, 1922. Did you mean that we were not founded at a teachers university?

NP
(ETA: we were incorporated Dec. 30, 1929)
OK maybe I just got confused by the history on the website. Here's the paragraph copied from there:

Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. was organized on November 12, 1922 in Indianapolis, Indiana by seven school teachers: Mary Lou Allison Little, Dorothy Hanley Whiteside, Vivian White Marbury, Nannie Mae Gahn Johnson, Hattie Mae Dulin Redford, Bessie M. Downey Martin and Cubena McClure. The group became an incorporated national collegiate sorority on December 30, 1929, when a charter was granted to Alpha chapter at Butler University.

When I read that, I thought it meant that the chapter at Butler U was not established until 1929, even though the sorority had been created 7 years earlier. Did I read wrong?
Old 07-10-2004, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by TigerLilly
OK maybe I just got confused by the history on the website. Here's the paragraph copied from there:

Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. was organized on November 12, 1922 in Indianapolis, Indiana by seven school teachers: Mary Lou Allison Little, Dorothy Hanley Whiteside, Vivian White Marbury, Nannie Mae Gahn Johnson, Hattie Mae Dulin Redford, Bessie M. Downey Martin and Cubena McClure. The group became an incorporated national collegiate sorority on December 30, 1929, when a charter was granted to Alpha chapter at Butler University.

When I read that, I thought it meant that the chapter at Butler U was not established until 1929, even though the sorority had been created 7 years earlier. Did I read wrong?
We were a "local" sorority from 22' to 29' without expansion but we incorporated in 29', when we actually received our charter to officially be a sorority (and expand). That's all.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NinjaPoodle
We were a "local" sorority from 22' to 29' without expansion but we incorporated in 29', when we actually received our charter to officially be a sorority (and expand). That's all.
Ohh. That makes more sense. The way it's worded on the website is just confusing, I guess: I read it to say that the chapter at Butler U. was chartered in 1929 and didn't even exist before then. (And then I looked online and found that Butler is located in Indianapolis, so maybe that should have tipped me off, but I didn't know that before.)
Old 07-10-2004, 04:43 PM

Bumping

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Alpha Kappa Alpha-I love that we share the Ivy Leaf! The Ivy Center is beyond impressive!

Zeta Phi Beta-I love that you all are forever linked with Phi Beta Sigma. I love the idea of auxilary groups

Delta Sigma Theta-I think the open motto "Intelligence is the torch of wisdom," is incredible. I also love the elephant.
Funny story: one of my dear friends is an elephant fanatic...has stuff ones everywhere. She is from Prince Edward Island, Canada. We were surfing on the computer and saw a Delta elephant beanie baby and she went nuts. (She knows nothing about the Greek system period). I had to break it down to her why she could not have that Delta Beanie baby!

Oh yes, Crimson is my ultimate favorite color, always has been

Sigma Gamma Rho-one of my first group of friends in college ended up going Sigma Gamma Rho. And for someone who has had poodles most of her life, I can't help but love y'all

I ain't got nothing but mad love for all of y'all!

Oh yeah, all y'all got some of the best forums on GC!
Old 07-12-2004, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Jocelyn - I love the threads you start!!! I read all of the websites and here is what I liked:

AKA - I was impressed with the Ivy Reading AKAdemy initiative for elementary school children.

Delta Sigma Theta - They have many famous alumni that have helped shape our nation, particulary Hazel Brown - 1st African American female general in the Army and Shirley Chisholm - 1st African American woman in Congress. We also share the same color.

Zeta Phi Beta - The Human Genome Project

Sigma Gamma Rho - The auxillary groups that the organization sponsors are a great way to get kids involved in service and making a positive difference in the community. I also really like your crest and your colors.