GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,405
2 members and 1,403 guests
LaneSig

Old 08-15-2001, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Question A-Phi /sorority Wedding Traditions

Okay, I have another question for the forum (gosh I hope other Phis are out there reading this!!).

I recently went to the wedding of a friend of mine who is in another sorority. Members of the sorority all circled around the bride and groom and sang one of their sorority songs.

I haven't been to an Alpha Phi wedding yet. Do we have any special traditions that we do? If you're not an Alpha Phi, what does your sorority do?

I'd love to hear some stories from other sorority members and find out if we A-Phis have anything special we do at weddings.

Thanks! Can't wait to hear your replies...

Alpha Phi Love,
Angel
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-16-2001, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

At my wedding reception, my Alpha Phi sisters gathered around me and my new husband, held hands and sang "Alpha Phi Sweetheart." My Mom and her best friend were Alpha Phis, and my best friends are Alpha Phis, so it was very special and wonderful! Afterwards we took a huge group photo with my husband and I surrounded by my Alpha Phi sisters.

I would love to hear other Alpha Phi wedding traditions.
Old 08-16-2001, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

We've done the same thing TexasPhi: we circle the bride and groom and sing. Sometimes "Alpha Phi Sweetheart," sometimes another song, the name of which escapes me right now. Anyone?

Alpha Phi Love,
APP
Old 09-15-2001, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Lost Posts

There were a couple of super posts here from Alpha Phis regarding wedding traditions around the country. They were lost due to the problems GC experienced.

One was about tea cups and the loving cup ceremony. There were two or three other really good ones as well.

If you posted here before, would you come back and remind us what you said? I thought we had a wonderful thread going. I love to hear the traditions of different Alpha Phi chapters around the country.

Alpha Phi Love,

APP
Old 09-24-2001, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to APhiGMU98
At our weddings for our chapter, we usually sing Circles since the majority of our chapter loves that song...we actually have one the weddings where we sang circles on tape where the husband was sweating because he had no idea of what was going on

aoe
Jen
APhiGMU
Old 09-27-2001, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Neat!

Cool! Thanks for the post APhiGMU98! It is fascinating to see what the different chapters around the US and Canada do. There was a great post by LauraDav about a couple of truly unique wedding traditions. I hope she'll come back and post again. Sadly they were lost when GC went down.

Thanks again to all the awesome ladies who have posted!

aoe,
Jen
Old 09-27-2001, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Wedding Traditions

Hi fabulous Phis! I hadn't had a chance to get back onto GC since it went down and when I did I discovered that every post I ever made had been erased. So sorry. I am kind of bummed, to say the least!!!

Here are the traditions as I explained them before....

When I was a collegiate we were taught that when you get married you are supposed to do the loving cup ceremony at your wedding with all of the other Alpha Phis who are there. We are given silver bowls when we graduate that we can use as loving cups at our weddings. The parents' club buys them for the seniors every year. As an involved alum, I usually borrow a loving cup for the occassion, making it really special for the alums who are there. Some of my friends have done the loving cup beofre the ceremony as a way to calm their nerves while otehrs have done it out on the dance floor after almost every one else is gone to celebrate their sisterhood and the ties that bind us together. It is awesome!

The other tradition I was explaining came to me through Megan Bouche at the EO. She was telling me that in her collegiate chapter, the members give a tea cup and saucer from their china set when they get married to the chapter. The chapter has a special cupboard where they keep the china and they use it to serve tea and coffee for preference and for other very special occassions. It seems like a remarkable way to keep those members in your thoughts at important times and to show PNMs the traditions and meaning of being an A Phi.

If you want to discuss these or other traditions more feel free to PM me. I always love to chat and I'd love to know the identities of more of the A Phis on here.

aoe,

Laura
Old 09-27-2001, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up FABULOUS!!!

Laura: these are such amazing traditions. I just love them! Thanks so much for re-posting.

BTW, isn't Megan B. awesome?!

aoe,
Jen
Old 09-27-2001, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

These are great! The tradition here is that any Alpha Phis in attendance at the wedding of a sister circle around the bride and groom at some point during the reception and sing a special Alpha Phi song to the happy couple.

I dig the notion of tea/coffee cups. I'd like to see that tradition expanded!
Old 09-27-2001, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

At our wedding, my wife's Alpha Phi sisters held hands and made a circle around us and sang. My wife cried. It is a nice tradition.

Andy B.
Old 12-09-2001, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Bumping this up for A-Phi sister, Tiffany, who asked about A-Phi wedding traditions.

Jen
Old 12-10-2001, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Thanks everyone for posting all of the wedding traditions. I keep in touch and let everyone know how it goes!

Love & AOE,

Tiffany
Old 07-26-2002, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
Hi ladies, sorry to crash your board!

Can you tell me what the loving cup ceremony is? I LOVED the teacup thing. It sounds beautiful.

greek love!
~ Jacquelyn.
Old 07-26-2002, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HotDamnImAPhiMu
Can you tell me what the loving cup ceremony is?
I believe this is reserved for members only. Sorry.
Old 08-20-2002, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I just got married recently. Unfortunately, none of my sisters could make it to my wedding in Newfoundland. : ( But one of our alum is getting married this weekend. I hope that we can do something special for her!

Sherry