GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,540
1 members and 2,539 guests
LaneSig

Old 07-16-2003, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile I am now a published author!

Took twenty years to get it done, but a journal I kept during my senior year of high school is now transformed into a book! Won't make it into the New York Times bestseller list but it's something I've prepared to commemorate my high school's upcoming 20-year reunion this Labor Day weekend.

Here's the marketing blurb for the book:
Quote:
Just Published...

Senior Year
Memories of the Class of 1983 of North Miami Senior High School
Charles E. (Chuck) Corway

Twenty years ago, the class of 1983 of North Miami Senior High in North Miami, Florida graduated from high school and set out into their adult lives.

Originally written as a high school writing assignment and now revised and expanded into this book, Senior Year chronicles the events that took place during that memorable year and the years afterward. Remember Homecoming, Grad Nite, some of your favorite teachers and friends and counting down the days left before graduation? If it’s been too long since then, then you’ll enjoy reading Senior Year.

Buy It Now!

http://www.iuniverse.com/bookstore/b...=0-595-28784-0
It's available right now in paperback; the hardcover copy should be available in about 4 weeks. Any of you interested in purchasing the book, click on the link above.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984

Last edited by AlphaSigOU; 07-16-2003 at 11:25 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-16-2003, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

CONGRATS!!!
Old 07-16-2003, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Felicidades!

I work with 2 2001 NM senior high grads and one of them got a kick out of seeing the book! She says she loves Mr Hudak. Apparently he goes to school on a skateboard!

Good luck and congrats again!

Old 07-16-2003, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Felicidades!

Quote:
Originally posted by ZTAMiami
I work with 2 2001 NM senior high grads and one of them got a kick out of seeing the book! She says she loves Mr Hudak. Apparently he goes to school on a skateboard!

Good luck and congrats again!

Yep, he's been riding a skateboard to and from school for over 25 years. From his apartment in Miami Beach to the Metrobus stop and then across the Broad Causeway to North Miami, where he skateboards the rest of the way to school about 10 blocks north of the bus stop.

Spoke to him over the phone a couple of weeks ago and he's doing fine... he's already got an invite to our reunion!

Old 07-16-2003, 11:41 AM

Congrats!
Old 07-16-2003, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MoonStar17
WOW!!! Congrats!!!

As a rival to North Miami..... (NORTH MIAMI BEACH IS BETTER GO CHARGERS!!!) LOL u know im messing...all in good fun

I will of course pick up this book....see how the pioneers were like all those years ago...

its cool to have a book written about an area i know alot about...
congrats and good luck at your reunion...what a great accomplishment...
congrats
Old 07-16-2003, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Yay, congratulations! I'm so impressed--I always wanted to have something of mine published, and I really admire people who have the motivation to do it!

I might buy it, since I finished Harry Potter a couple nights ago and I need something to read now!
Old 07-16-2003, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats!
Old 07-16-2003, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MoonStar17
WOW!!! Congrats!!!

As a rival to North Miami..... (NORTH MIAMI BEACH IS BETTER GO CHARGERS!!!) LOL u know im messing...all in good fun

GO PIONEERS!
(Still bleed green and gray (our school's colors) after all these years!)

BTW North Miami Beach's Class of '83 is also having their 20-year reunion that same weekend and at the same hotel (Fort Lauderdale Marina Marriott), but in a different ballroom. Do have quite a few Pioneers that married Chargers and vice versa, so both schools got together to at least save money on having separate events on different weekends.

Old 07-16-2003, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, congrats! That is an amazing accomplishment.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations! This is so exciting for you!
Old 07-16-2003, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RedFox
Congrats!!!
Old 07-16-2003, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations!!
Old 07-16-2003, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations, AlphaSigOU, on your getting published!

Do you have any advice for this aspiring mystery writer?

The Trolls have taken over the Asylum!
Old 07-16-2003, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CatStarESP4
Congratulations, AlphaSigOU, on your getting published!

Do you have any advice for this aspiring mystery writer?
Basically, never let rejection get you down.

I had my book published by the print-on-demand (POD) publishing house iUniverse (www.iuniverse.com). Basically POD means just that, the book is prepared to order; there's no stock of books you have to buy or keep in storage.

Granted, traditional publishers scoff at POD houses as being nothing more than a modern-day vanity or 'subsidy' press, but when whatever you've written is focused to such a narrow audience (as my book is) most traditional publishers aren't interested, especially with first-time authors.

For $200, iUniverse will publish your book in trade paperback format; it's another $200 to have it done in hardcover (though I did take advantage of a promotion last month that got the hardcover done for free). Within a week or so you get proofs back of your book and an opportunity to make any changes. You're entitled to 50 changes at no charge, so it would behoove you to have most of your major revisions and editing done before submitting. They will also design cover art as well or you can submit a design of your own. You'll then receive a revised proof with corrections; if all is well, then the book is scheduled for publishing. People can begin ordering the book as soon as it appears in the iUniverse store. You get one free book with the submission; if you choose the Premier program, you get five books.

As far as marketing your book is concerned, you're generally on your own. iUniverse supplies you with a basic book marketing kit with your submission, but nickel-and-dimes you with additional fees for manuals on how to market and distribute your book. If you want a third-party editor to review the book and make suggestions, they charge $200; however, based on sales and editorial scoring, your book could become an 'Editors Choice' book, and they usually take care of those books that might have a fighting chance in the mainstream.

I highly recommend that you have a literary agent shop your manuscript around first and see if it is something they're interested in before going to iUniverse. My literary agent is Christina Arneson (also a fellow classmate of mine from high school); she's part of the Intellectual Property Management Group (http://users.erols.com/veritas/ipm.htm). She has a very funny book out: How to Aggravate A Man Every Time... and have him beg for more! Likewise their website has some tips for aspiring authors

That's basically it in a nutshell. I was quite surprised how quick the turnaround was from submission to print. Any questions, please feel free to PM me.