GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24

Old 09-27-2020, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Here is the most recent update for The Ohio State University (as of this week)...

No longer recognized by the University:
Tau Kappa Epsilon, Phi Kappa Psi, Alpha Epsilon Pi, Sigma Alpha Mu, Zeta Beta Tau, Theta Tau, Sigma Pi, Phi Delta Theta, Kappa Sigma and Chi Phi

Deferred Revocation of Registration*
Pi Beta Phi and Beta Theta Pi

Social Restrictions (new term for Social Probation):
3 sororities and 1 fraternity. This status limits the number of events a chapter can hold but does not prohibit all events

Chapters formerly on social restrictions but still on a Disciplinary Probation:
1 sorority and one fraternity

Chapters where all charges have been removed:
One Fraternity

*Defererred Revocation of Registration - This sanction means the charge could have been grounds for removal, however enough mitigating factors were in place (the chapter has shown a willingness to work with the university and their headquarters to better their members and ensure situations like this do not happen again). If the chapter were to have another incident that would show a failure to comply with their sanction, the University could remove the chapter from being a recognized organization.

The needle keeps moving!
Old 09-27-2020, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradesTrue View Post
Yes, Phi Mu came on about 4-5 years after AOII, and I agree that can be rough on a new chapter.

Texas schools can be tough to crack without name recognition, however, 50% of TCU student are now from out of state with a large portion from California, the Midwest, and SEC country. I think this may be less a factor in the closing of AOII because Sigma Kappa, Gamma Phi Beta, and Phi Mu have all had successful new chapters in the last 20 years or so without a strong presence at the big Texas schools prior to their TCU colonization.

Honestly, I think AOII was doomed from the start because of campus culture *at the time* which corresponded with the rise of the online sorority ranking site. That site was flooded with posts- and people in real life- discussing tiers and that if you are new "you start at the bottom and work your way up." It was horrible to witness but this mindset was broadcast loud and often by a small but vocal enough group of undergraduates, which included both sorority women and the fraternities.

Before AOII could even recruit the potential founders were being told that they would have to start at the bottom in terms of tiers and social status. There was no campus support for them at all. Who would want to join that? Panhellenic and the Greek Life Office could have/should have been much more on top of this situation to ensure that unaffiliated women saw membership in a new sorority as a positive and not a social negative.

They were able to recruit a wonderful group of women, however chapter total at the time was in the high 100s, and they only pledged about 60-70. I was worried from day one and knew they would never be able to catch up.

Other than that vile ranking site that was new at the time (and maybe someone different in the GL office? Honestly not sure on that..) I don't know why their colonization was different than the other three that I mentioned. When those groups came to campus all the sorority members were on board, encouraging their unaffiliated friends to go for it. There was widespread excitement over campus about those groups, with members wearing buttons, etc promoting the new group. All three of those groups pledged close to campus total, and all have thrived since. Very different than AOII.

Starting with a smaller group and then to have to do recruitment the next fall.. well that's tough on a chapter. I am not sure they have ever made quota. It is unfortunate that Phi Mu had to come so quickly but the chapters were bursting at the seams. While it was refreshing to see the campus go all out in support for Phi Mu my heart broke for AOII.
This makes a ton of sense. Thanks for the insight. I wondered why the other ones (that are in the same boat in terms of name recognition in the state) did well while this one didn't. Very sad for AOPi.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

SUNY-Old Westbury has moved their expansion to next spring. From their OFSL page.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 09-27-2020, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Honestly, I think AOII was doomed from the start because of campus culture *at the time* which corresponded with the rise of the online sorority ranking site. That site was flooded with posts- and people in real life- discussing tiers and that if you are new "you start at the bottom and work your way up." It was horrible to witness but this mindset was broadcast loud and often by a small but vocal enough group of undergraduates, which included both sorority women and the fraternities.

There was no campus support for them at all. Who would want to join that? Panhellenic and the Greek Life Office could have/should have been much more on top of this situation to ensure that unaffiliated women saw membership in a new sorority as a positive and not a social negative.
What was the process TCU used when AOII was chosen? Was it one person extending the invitation to colonize, or did all campus NPC groups vote to invite AOII?

Did TCU sororities feel AOII used undue special influence to become THE GROUP allowed to colonize? Was the TCU Greek Advisor at the time AOII was chosen an AOII herself?

It's always anti-panhellenic when any campus goes to the extreme of setting-up their CHOSEN NPC GROUP to fail.

Last edited by Cheerio; 09-27-2020 at 10:49 PM. Reason: clairity
Old 09-27-2020, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
What was the process TCU used when AOII was chosen? Was it one person extending the invitation to colonize, or did all campus NPC groups vote to invite AOII?

Did TCU sororities feel AOII used undue special pressure in some form to become THE GROUP allowed to colonize? Was the TCU Greek Advisor at the time AOII was chosen an AOII herself?

It's always anti-panhellenic when any campus goes to the extreme of choosing, then intentionally dooming, their CHOSEN NPC GROUP to failure.
As far as I remember it was the typical 3 sororities presented and one was chosen but I will be honest that I don't remember specifics on that. That is definitely how it was for the other 3 more recent colonizations, though.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post

Did TCU sororities feel AOII used undue special influence to become THE GROUP allowed to colonize? Was the TCU Greek Advisor at the time AOII was chosen an AOII herself?

It's always anti-panhellenic when any campus goes to the extreme of setting-up their CHOSEN NPC GROUP to fail.
Quote:
As far as I remember it was the typical 3 sororities presented and one was chosen but I will be honest that I don't remember specifics on that. That is definitely how it was for the other 3 more recent colonizations, though.

I went back to the 2011/2012 thread and found this under the "Campuses Open for Expansion" section:

Texas Christian University (NPC 2 year stacked expansion planned)- Alpha Gamma Delta, Alpha Omicron Pi, Delta Phi Epsilon, and Phi Mu presenting. Alpha Omicron Pi invited to colonize, Fall '12. Phi Mu invited to colonize, Fall '14.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 09-28-2020, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
I went back to the 2011/2012 thread and found this under the "Campuses Open for Expansion" section:

Texas Christian University (NPC 2 year stacked expansion planned)- Alpha Gamma Delta, Alpha Omicron Pi, Delta Phi Epsilon, and Phi Mu presenting. Alpha Omicron Pi invited to colonize, Fall '12. Phi Mu invited to colonize, Fall '14.
My opinion expressed below comes after researching the great wealth of information contained in the LaneSig and irishpipes yearly greekchat threads concerning NPC Chapters and Campuses:

TCU highly aggravated AOII's colony situation by lifting Chapter Total from 150 in Fall '10 & Fall '11 to a whopping 210 in Fall 2012. No chapter average numbers, nor the numbers of PNMs starting the process at TCU Fall '10-'11-'12, are given on greekchat to verify the necessity of their huge CT increase.

AOII installed Lambda Tau chapter at TCU on November 11, 2012 with considerably fewer than 210 women, but I'm sure with thoughts toward Phi Mu's then-planned Fall 2014 colony.

However, AOII was given two additional years to grow when the Phi Mu TCU colony pushed forward to Fall 2016.

But before then, TCU grew Chapter Total to an even more incredible 241 in Fall 2015 when the number of formal PNMs had only increased by sixty-two women, from 930 in Fall '13, to 992 in Fall '15.

Phi Mu colonized and installed during Fall 2016 at TCU with approximately 200 initiates.

After keeping Chapter Total at an artificially high 241 during four Fall semesters, the Fall '19 Chapter Total decreased to 230. AOII substantially missed formal quota during Fall '18 & Fall '19, and only made quota two of their seven formal recruitment seasons.

The double whammy of unrealistic TCU Chapter Totals and the reported-on-greekchat ugly reception of AOII by members of the TCU greek community and TCU campus eventually helped lead to the recent closure of Lambda Phi chapter of AOII.

If a campus panhellenic is going to demand a high sorority CT, they ought to be promoting EVERY AVAILABLE CHAPTER as worthy to join and useful to their students.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Some schools just want to expand w/o thinking about having all chapter healthy. Cal Poly - SLO did a stacked expansion, AGD came on in 2016 and DG in 2018, and then AGD closed in 2019!
Old 09-29-2020, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

That very thing has caused the death of several Southern chapters. It's as if someone thought, "Well, they've had all these years to get their act together and they haven't, so it's time to move on." A new chapter appears and there goes the floundering one.

I've seen it happen quickly once the new chapter comes but there was one instance in which another Greek advisor told me that their "Karen Ann Quinlan" (his phrase) had finally folded after years of problems. They hung in there and tried everything they could. Now that university desperately wants them back (they're a big name sorority) but they've refused to even put their name in the pot for years.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

The Eta Chi Chapter of Gamma Phi Beta at California State University-San Marcos was installed on September 10, 2020.

True and Constant
Old 09-29-2020, 01:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Closures at Bloomsburg University

ACACIA - RMF
Alpha Tau Omega - RMF
Kappa Sigma - RMF
Alpha Sigma Tau - RMF
Old 09-29-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
That very thing has caused the death of several Southern chapters. It's as if someone thought, "Well, they've had all these years to get their act together and they haven't, so it's time to move on." A new chapter appears and there goes the floundering one.

I've seen it happen quickly once the new chapter comes but there was one instance in which another Greek advisor told me that their "Karen Ann Quinlan" (his phrase) had finally folded after years of problems. They hung in there and tried everything they could. Now that university desperately wants them back (they're a big name sorority) but they've refused to even put their name in the pot for years.
OMG the Karen Ann Quinlan reference.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
The Eta Chi Chapter of Gamma Phi Beta at California State University-San Marcos was installed on September 10, 2020.
Hooray for some happy news!
Old 10-02-2020, 09:26 AM

Phi Kappa Psi has been permanently banned by Cornell University(NY). The action is due to RMF and other events that possibly contributed to the death of a student last year.

https://ithacavoice.com/2020/10/corn...bers-expelled/

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 10-03-2020, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

DU recharters at Bucknell

The DU chapter was revived at Bucknell on September 24th. The chapter began as Delta Sigma in 1889 and joined DU in 1950.
Traditionally DU was very strong at Bucknell, the chapter was closed in 2003 due to RMF issues and a revival in 2007 did not succeed , the chapter closed again in 2015, hopefully this revival goes well.