GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,303
2 members and 1,301 guests
aangelasuasd942, naraht

Old 04-10-2008, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditone View Post
KSU and OSU are pretty strong in my opinion. I put CU so low because they have no university backing. I'm pretty sure the University doesn't acknowledge the fraternity system there or something (no IFC).
KSU has a strong Greek system, cannot speak of OSU or ISU, Un Co. is not Greek friendly at all.

While never visited any of the Texas campi, UnNe. has a strong Greek base as does Un.Mo.

Un. Tx, seems to be gobbling up houses to expand.

I do not think anyone can belittle the Big XII schools for Greeks as most that I know are pretty strong. While spread out in housing sometimes it is hard to really tell.

Un. Ak should have joined the Big 8 when they had the chance and would not miss Un Co. at all!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-10-2008, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Un. Ak should have joined the Big 8 when they had the chance and would not miss Un Co. at all!
If you had to shorten Arkansas, postal wise it's "AR".

Anyways, we get faaaar more money in the SEC.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 04-10-2008, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
If you had to shorten Arkansas, postal wise it's "AR".

Anyways, we get faaaar more money in the SEC.
Sorry miss typed the r! Wow, I am really sorry.

I am not sure what you mean by more money?

Oh, who won the NCAA Championship and who beat an SEC school? Oh, that must have been UNC.

How many other Conferences had so many schools in the NCAA than the Big XII? Oh, it must have been 5.

So, for what ever reason you mention money, that just might change won't it!

Oh, lest we forget, how many football teams were in bowls? Oh, seems that the Big XII was very well represented compared to some.

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 04-10-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
"Stagnant system and losing ground".

What?

I'm gonna need an explanation on that.

.....and I'm sorry, but putting Tech third tier is dumb.

When I think of Texas I think of VERY strong top chapters, but then a lot of parity, and struggling houses. Also, with the property tax situation being what it is (and perhaps getting worse), there just isn't much room for expansion, new buildouts, etc.

If any of this is wrong, I apologize. I never attended there (just down to visit my gf)
Old 04-10-2008, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

No no no.

The reason we make more money is because a) tv rights are more expensive, b) to my knowledge we share profits. That is, if someone makes a championship it gets shared around. That way, even a terrible team makes money.(I've been explained this is what happens, but I'm not sure) So a mid-tier team like Arkansas who only does well in track, baseball, and sometimes basketball...gets the same amount Florida does. I'm not sure if that's entirely true, but that's what I'm told.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 04-10-2008, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
In reference to the Univ. of Arkansas to the Big 12 / and EW's statement that they make more money in the SEC.

That's what one of my best buddies from there always says. My reply has always been that they are a poor man's SEC team. They will never win that conference, and don't get the same caliber athlete across the board (yes, I enjoyed watching your RB's) that the top schools there get. And the SEC has more top recruiting schools then the Big 12.

Now, in the Big12, you may get less money, but you have more natural rivalries and travel distances. You get less money, but you would automatically rise to a year-in-year-out contender in the North = BETTER chance to win a conf title. = BETTER chance to get to a BCS game.

$$$$, both conferences do a even share of the money. You can only send 2 teams TOPS to BCS bowls, and the Big 12 does just fine getting their 2 in each year = $$$$ for Arkansas.... However, the SEC TV contract is a monster, and that is definitely a better deal then the one the 12 has now.

/end 2cents.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Banned

Texas has about 4 houses that would be considered a 'top' house at any school in the country. After that there's maybe 3 others at most that would stand a chance. Texas doesn't have a very high % of undergrads in Greek Life, I think a lot of this has to do with the difficulty of getting in the school.

Also, we have a few houses like ZBT that are traditionally jewish fraternities that are actually really strong chapters, they just tend to fly under the radar.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowsandtoes View Post
Texas has about 4 houses that would be considered a 'top' house at any school in the country. After that there's maybe 3 others at most that would stand a chance. Texas doesn't have a very high % of undergrads in Greek Life, I think a lot of this has to do with the difficulty of getting in the school.

Also, we have a few houses like ZBT that are traditionally jewish fraternities that are actually really strong chapters, they just tend to fly under the radar.
Yeah it has a lot to do with the difficulty of getting in.......and the fact that there are, what, 39,000 undergrads? Of course the % is going to be low.

I just don't think our system is "stagnant" or going down hill.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
In reference to the Univ. of Arkansas to the Big 12 / and EW's statement that they make more money in the SEC.

That's what one of my best buddies from there always says. My reply has always been that they are a poor man's SEC team. They will never win that conference, and don't get the same caliber athlete across the board (yes, I enjoyed watching your RB's) that the top schools there get. And the SEC has more top recruiting schools then the Big 12.

Now, in the Big12, you may get less money, but you have more natural rivalries and travel distances. You get less money, but you would automatically rise to a year-in-year-out contender in the North = BETTER chance to win a conf title. = BETTER chance to get to a BCS game.

$$$$, both conferences do a even share of the money. You can only send 2 teams TOPS to BCS bowls, and the Big 12 does just fine getting their 2 in each year = $$$$ for Arkansas.... However, the SEC TV contract is a monster, and that is definitely a better deal then the one the 12 has now.

/end 2cents.

Funny isn't it?

It might just change after this year!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-10-2008, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
Giggle.

(with apologies to aggieaxo)
That's ok Blondie-I am use to the aggie bashing on this site (and just about everywhere else I go).
Old 04-10-2008, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This is the only reason I'd ever want us to join the Big 12. The fact that there are alot of closer schools. The ability to road trip. Our closest in conference game is Ole Miss which is 400 some miles from Fayetteville... in that same distance, I'm told you could travel to seven Big 12 schools. Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Mizzou, Kansas, K-State, probably Texas Tech and...Nebraska? I don't know.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The reason we make more money is because a) tv rights are more expensive, b) to my knowledge we share profits. That is, if someone makes a championship it gets shared around. That way, even a terrible team makes money.(I've been explained this is what happens, but I'm not sure) So a mid-tier team like Arkansas who only does well in track, baseball, and sometimes basketball...gets the same amount Florida does. I'm not sure if that's entirely true, but that's what I'm told.
EW is correct. The SEC does share profits. I believe there are two profit sharing agreements. One has to do with TV rights in that every SEC school receives the same amount. The other has to do with post season play. (i.e. bowl games and NCAA playoffs etc.) The school participating receives a much higher percentage with the remaining amount distributed among the remaining SEC members. And excluding the BCS bowl games, the rest of the tie-in bowl games for the SEC have some of the best payouts. With eight guaranteed SEC bowl slots, that is a lot of money. And the SEC basketball contract (especially the one with CBS) is not shabby either.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This is the only reason I'd ever want us to join the Big 12. The fact that there are alot of closer schools. The ability to road trip. Our closest in conference game is Ole Miss which is 400 some miles from Fayetteville... in that same distance, I'm told you could travel to seven Big 12 schools. Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Mizzou, Kansas, K-State, probably Texas Tech and...Nebraska? I don't know.
Arkansas fans travel very well. And with only four conference road games a season, distance doesn't matter.

For what it is worth, I know quite a few Arkansas Alumni from the SEC Alumni Group here and almost every one of them said they prefer being in the SEC. Many reasons but the main one was not the money, but that they felt more aligned "as a people" with the rest of SEC.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm hoping that we stay in the SEC (obviously), but start playing more regional games. Which we already are...suppose to be playing Texas (though I heard it got cancelled?) and then starting '09 we play A&M at the new Cowboys stadium. I'd love to see a game against OU, OSU. With as many people from the Tulsa area as we got, would be great.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeta View Post
TAMU - has to overcome the nutjobs in the Corps
Hey, not all of the Corps members are nutjobs- my brother is a cadet and I can assure you he is far from it.