GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,916
0 members and 1,916 guests
No Members online

Old 01-03-2008, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TechTransfer
mass e-mail

hey y'all, this is a call for help.

I'm the Recruitment Chairman for the Acacia colony at LA Tech. We were just approved by the IFC in December, so we've never put ourselves "out there" on campus before. All our recruiting up to this point has been friends talking to friends.

We're going to send out a mass e-mail, which will go to all students. (The school doesn't give us the option of sending just to men, or just to undergrads- it's everyone or no one.) For probably 90% of the people who receive this message, it will be the first time they've heard of us, so it's important that we not sound like idiots. It's also important that the message sound OK to everyone- men and women, Greeks and not.

This is my first draft. Keep in mind that this e-mail is just part of a much larger recruitment plan. Please comment- be brutal, if you must. This needs to be good.

"Acacia (the fraternity with the weird name) will be recruiting new members January 9-17. Acacia (uh-kay-shuh) is an international social fraternity. Membership is open to all male students, undergrad and graduate, regardless of major.

Schedule of Events:
Jan 9: Info meeting, 7pm, Nethken Hall Auditorium
Jan 10: Info meeting, 7pm, Toliver Conference Room
Jan 12: Volunteer at Louisiana Military Museum, 8 am
Capture the flag at Lincoln Parish Park, meet at house at 3:30
Jan 15: Guiter Hero and Gumbo at 109 E Louisiana, 6pm
Jan 16: Pool at Shananigans, meet at house at 8pm
Jan 17: Basketball at Lambright at 7pm

You are welcome to attend any or all of these events- you are not committing yourself to anything by showing up.

For more information:
Join the Acacia Winter Rush Facebook group: http://latech.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6826663845
See our website: http://www.techacacia.com
Contact the recruitment chairman, Jason X, at XXX-XXX-XXXX"
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-03-2008, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

1) The website doesn't work (but the fb group does).

2) I personally wouldn't be self-deprecating in the email. For my first lines, I would say something like:

"Acacia, the international social fraternity without Greek letters, will be recruiting prospective members on January 9 through 17. Founded on ideals of scholarship and moral character, Acacia (pronounced uh-kay-shuh) is open to all male students, undergrad and graduate, regardless of major."

You're saying the same thing while being a little more specific and a little less formal.

Hope that helped.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

the website shouldn't work, don't worry about it- it's being updated.

Last edited by TechTransfer; 01-03-2008 at 04:59 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-03-2008, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I would echo what Senusret said.

Also, I would in use the formal name of the fraternity at least once, and I would either embed a hyperlink to the national fraternity's webpage, like this:

"Acacia Fraternity, the international social fraternity without Greek letters, will be recruiting prospective members on January 9 through 17."

or I would include a link to the national website at the bottom with other links.

I also think you need a stronger ending than "you are not committing yourself to anything by showing up" -- go with something more positive, like "Come see what we're all about" or "Come see what makes us different from the rest."
Old 01-03-2008, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
^^^That is great feedback from Senusret. I agree that highlighting that it's a "weird" name may not come off positively with many people (especially those with no knowledge of the greek system), but I also think that saying you're the group without greek letters might also be confusing; some may think it's not a "real" fraternity then.

Here's some verbiage from Wiki about Acacia, I also googled and found some press releases about your being voted on to campus that had some good verbiage. How about incorporating some of this into your introduction?:

Quote:
Acacia distinguishes itself from other fraternities by being one of three (inter)national fraternities that uses a word instead of Greek letters; Acacia is the only (inter)national fraternity to have a Greek word rather than Greek letters as its name. Greek does not contain the letter "c"; however, so the proper Greek spelling of the name is Ακακια. Acacia was one of the charter members of the North-American Interfraternity Conference in 1909. Acacia's fundamental principles are scholarship, leadership, brotherhood and human service/philanthropy.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTransfer View Post
hey y'all, this is a call for help.

I'm the Recruitment Chairman for the Acacia colony at LA Tech. We were just approved by the IFC in December, so we've never put ourselves "out there" on campus before. All our recruiting up to this point has been friends talking to friends.

We're going to send out a mass e-mail, which will go to all students. (The school doesn't give us the option of sending just to men, or just to undergrads- it's everyone or no one.) For probably 90% of the people who receive this message, it will be the first time they've heard of us, so it's important that we not sound like idiots. It's also important that the message sound OK to everyone- men and women, Greeks and not.

This is my first draft. Keep in mind that this e-mail is just part of a much larger recruitment plan. Please comment- be brutal, if you must. This needs to be good.

"Acacia (the fraternity with the weird name) will be recruiting new members January 9-17. Acacia (uh-kay-shuh) is an international social fraternity. Membership is open to all male students, undergrad and graduate, regardless of major.

Schedule of Events:
Jan 15: Guiter Hero and Gumbo at 109 E Louisiana, 6pm

You are welcome to attend any or all of these events- you are not committing yourself to anything by showing up.

For more information:
Join the Acacia Winter Rush Facebook group: http://latech.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6826663845
See our website: http://www.techacacia.com
Contact the recruitment chairman, Jason X, at XXX-XXX-XXXX"
First off, congratulations on your colony.

Now if I may, here are a few quick suggestions.

You do not want to present anything that might be perceived as negative. So do not say that y'all have a weird name. Also, add a little more flesh to your opening statement by establishing when y'all were founded and a member of the NIC etc. As such, perhaps you may want to change the wording of the first paragraph to something like the following.

"Acacia, will be recruiting new members January 9-17. Acacia (uh-kay-shuh) was founded in 1904 and is the only international social fraternity to have a Greek word rather than Greek letters as its name. Acacia was one of the charter members of the North-American Intrafraternity Conference in 1909. Our fundamental principles are scholarship, leadership, brotherhood and human service/philanthropy. Membership is open to all male students, undergrad and graduate, regardless of major."

Also, under the "schedule of events", there are a few notations about "meet at the house". You should include that address in the email. Actually, you might want to also include the address in the initial paragraph.

"Acacia, will be recruiting new members January 9-17. Acacia (uh-kay-shuh) is the only international social fraternity to have a Greek word rather than Greek letters as its name. Acacia was one of the charter members of the North-American Intrafraternity Conference in 1909. Our fundamental principles are scholarship, leadership, brotherhood and human service/philanthropy. Membership is open to all male students, undergrad and graduate, regardless of major. We are located at 123 Mason Lane at the corner of Washington Street."

I would also add under the "more information" site a link to the international website. And what about requesting information via email? Will recipients be able to hit the reply button? Or is there another email address they need to use? If your school allows it, you may want to consider setting up a specific email address for replies. Acacia@LTU.edu or what ever it might be.

And also, be sure to run spell check before sending. I caught the following. Guiter is spelled Guitar. And maybe the place is spelled differently, but Shananigans might be spelled Shenanigans.

Finally, you might want to add in the email that it is your school's policy that the email be sent to everyone. For example: "Apologies for the mass email. Louisiana Tech email policy states that all emails are to be sent to whole student population."

Best of luck.

Last edited by TSteven; 01-03-2008 at 04:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-03-2008, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow. Not one reply when I started and now, all those replies before I posted.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

oddly enough, it really is spelled Shananigans:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&rl...72310024329559

It drives me crazy, but I didn't name the place. Good catch on the guiter, that's my bad.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

OK, putting together what everyone has said, I get:

"Acacia will be recruiting prospective members January 9-17. Acacia (uh-kay-shuh) is the only international social fraternity to have a Greek word rather than Greek letters as its name. Acacia was one of the charter members of the North-American Intrafraternity Conference in 1909. Our fundamental principles are scholarship, leadership, brotherhood and human service. Membership is open to all male students, undergrad and graduate, regardless of major. We are located at 109 East Louisiana Ave, at the corner of South Vienna Street.

Schedule of Events:
Jan 15: Guitar Hero and Gumbo at house, 6pm

You are welcome to attend any or all of these events. Come see what we're all about.

For more information:
Our chapter website: http://www.techacacia.com
Our national website: http://www.acacia.org
Contact the recruitment chairman, Jason X, at XXX-XXX-XXXX, or XXXXXX@latech.edu"

Better?

And an extra question: should I include a link to this: http://media.www.thetechtalk.org/med...-3144947.shtml

Last edited by TechTransfer; 01-03-2008 at 05:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-03-2008, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

"Acacia will be recruiting prospective members January 9-17. Acacia (uh-kay-shuh) is the only international social fraternity to have a Greek word rather than Greek letters as its name. Acacia was one of the charter members of the North-American Intrafraternity Conference in 1909. Our fundamental principles are scholarship, leadership, brotherhood and human service. Membership is open to all male students, undergrad and graduate, regardless of major. We are located at 109 East Louisiana Ave, at the corner of South Vienna Street.

Schedule of Events:
Jan 15: Guitar Hero and Gumbo at house, 6pm

You are welcome to attend any or all of these events. Come see what we're all about.

For more information:
Our chapter website: http://www.techacacia.com
Our national website: http://www.acacia.org
Contact the recruitment chairman, Jason X, at XXX-XXX-XXXX, or XXXXXX@latech.edu"

Better?

And an extra question: should I include a link to this: http://media.www.thetechtalk.org/med...-3144947.shtml
Yes. And I think it would be nice to add the link to the article under the "more information" links. Could say something like "Here is what The TechTalk has to say about Acacia".

One other thing, perhaps have a few other Acacia members look at the email and have them give their input. At least be sure all members know about the email, and with what the email says, before it goes out. That way, if they are asked questions, they should have an idea as to what is being discussed.

Also, you may want to pass this draft by any other local fraternities and or sorority members you trust to give you an honest and constructive opinion. They may have ideas of what should be added (or deleted?) due to the nature of the campus.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

"Acacia will be recruiting prospective members January 9-17. Acacia (uh-kay-shuh) is the only international social fraternity to have a Greek word rather than Greek letters as its name. Acacia was one of the charter members of the North-American Intrafraternity Conference in 1909. . . ."
It looks good TechTransfer. Just for the sake of clarity though, I have to be a little anal retentive and stand up for my own brotherhood.

Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia also has a Greek word as (part of) its name. While not a member of the NIC, and while national rather than international, Sinfonia is a social fraternity and is a member of IFCs on many campuses. (I don't know whether our Mu Nu chapter at LA Tech is an IFC member or not.)

With that in mind, I would suggest:

"Acacia will be recruiting prospective members January 9-17. Acacia (uh-kay-shuh), one of the charter members of the North-American Intrafraternity Conference in 1909, is the only NIC fraternity to have a Greek word rather than Greek letters as its name. . . ."

Just my $0.02.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

actually, you bring up a good point, since we have some really active groups that are professional/social (Phi Mu Alpha, Delta Sigma Pi, I think a couple others I'm not remembering), and their members are eligible to join Acacia. I'd hate to insult them right off like that.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Something you may also want to think about including is asking the women who receive the email to submit the names of any men that are eligible for membership. You can create an interest form through your website.

Senusret try taking a look at their website again, it should be up and I think you'll approve.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I approve!
Old 01-04-2008, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrphi View Post
Senusret try taking a look at their website again, it should be up and I think you'll approve.
Oh please, oh please don't leave a "coming soon" space on your homepage!

It's one thing to put that on a sub-page, but not on your homepage.

Put a badge pic or something. Steal this from your National site if you have to:

ETA: THANK YOU!

Last edited by AlphaFrog; 01-04-2008 at 11:03 AM.