GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,127
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asamathattso539
» Online Users: 1,432
2 members and 1,430 guests
indygphib, Sarak24034

Old 09-10-2018, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
You were, to quote you, super involved in other multiple organizations, and there was not one single solitary sorority member in any of them?

There were never any sorority or fraternity philanthropies that involved the campus as a whole?

You were never in class with any sorority women?

I find these things hard to believe.

You have to put yourself out there, and it doesn’t sound like you did at all. I’m not trying to be harsh or mean, but people advised you what to do and that’s all we can do for you.
I completely understand & I really appreciate everyone's advice and input! I'm looking for as many opinions as I can get to try and make sense of my situation. I was involved in 3 clubs last year and one had about 8 members and none were in sororities. The other 2 clubs if there were women in sororities I didn't get to meet them. I can't always tell who is in a sorority or not some people rarely wear their letters, and if they do they're usually in a group with other Greek women. To me it's kind of intimidating to infiltrate their circle. I don't know where to find Greek events that are open to everyone for their philanthropy .

Going forward in your opinion, how would you go about befriending some Greek women? You can't exactly force someone to be your friend, so it's not like if I see a woman wearing letters in class I can go up to her and immediately be her best friend, unless that's exactly what I should do? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 09-10-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterng!rl2 View Post
I completely understand & I really appreciate everyone's advice and input! I'm looking for as many opinions as I can get to try and make sense of my situation. I was involved in 3 clubs last year and one had about 8 members and none were in sororities. The other 2 clubs if there were women in sororities I didn't get to meet them. I can't always tell who is in a sorority or not some people rarely wear their letters, and if they do they're usually in a group with other Greek women. To me it's kind of intimidating to infiltrate their circle. I don't know where to find Greek events that are open to everyone for their philanthropy .

Going forward in your opinion, how would you go about befriending some Greek women? You can't exactly force someone to be your friend, so it's not like if I see a woman wearing letters in class I can go up to her and immediately be her best friend, unless that's exactly what I should do? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
QUESTION FOR CLARITY HERE.

Were you dropped by everyone? Or just some? How many chapters does your campus have? Was this your first or second recruitment? Are the chapters on your campus larger or of the smaller variety. For reference, I think we are talking small when chapters have like 40 people.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:53 AM
GreekChat Member

The chapters' web sites or FB pages should have information about their events. Or you could ask the Greek Life office.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

Were you dropped by everyone? Or just some? How many chapters does your campus have? Was this your first or second recruitment? Are the chapters on your campus larger or of the smaller variety. For reference, I think we are talking small when chapters have like 40 people.

KSUViolet, she rushed last year at a Big 10 school and was cut by all houses so she re-rushed this fall. I can't tell if she had gotten recs (many people have asked, but she's not answered) and based on recent posts, she didn't get to know any sorority members over the past year so she had no connections for this year.

Here's a link to a thread she posted about whether or not to discuss her first year rushing during this year's rush:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=244101

Here's her post about rushing her freshman year and what happened:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=243578
Old 09-11-2018, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Yes was dropped by everyone, my campus has between 12-18 chapters, this is my 2nd formal recruitment and my 3rd recruitment in general since I tried informal rush with no such luck as well last year, I think my campus has large chapters theres about 150-200 girls total in each house.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMS View Post
KSUViolet, she rushed last year at a Big 10 school and was cut by all houses so she re-rushed this fall. I can't tell if she had gotten recs (many people have asked, but she's not answered) and based on recent posts, she didn't get to know any sorority members over the past year so she had no connections for this year.

Here's a link to a thread she posted about whether or not to discuss her first year rushing during this year's rush:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=244101

Here's her post about rushing her freshman year and what happened:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=243578
I got some recs for a few houses that I know alumna of, but recs are not a thing at my school. Some girls I rushed with last year told me they got recs to every house on campus and it didn't help them, they still got cut after open house round from those chapters. Some girls I talked to from this past rush told me the same thing of their rec letter experience. The only thing that sometimes helps at my school is being a legacy which I am not unfortunately, since I am the first person in my family whose thought about going Greek.

****Do u have any tips on how to make connections with Greek women at my school?****

Would connections make or break the pnms that get invited back? How do out-of-state women do, who have no connections at their schools get into Greek life?
Old 09-11-2018, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

1. Go up to a chapter house on campus.
2. Knock on the door.
3. When someone answers, say,"Hi. Wanna be friends?"
Old 09-11-2018, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

But seriously, you have been given loads of great advice from others in this thread. We can't hold your hand and make you do this stuff.

As you interacting with people on campus, ask what they are involved in. Share what you are involved in. Notice if someone mentions Greek life. Befriend new people who join the clubs and activities you are already involved in. If you notice someone wearing a t-shirt from a Greek event, comment on the t-shirt and ask about it. Attend open philanthropy events organized by chapters. Go in a group if that makes you more comfortable. Talk to a sister before you leave to let them know you enjoyed the event. If it ties in to a cause you are involved with, that is also a great way to connect with them about the event.

Re: recs: If they are not a thing at your school, it can only help you to stand out in a positive way if you get them from alums.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Also: consider COB if you are able. If that doesn't work out, then realize that Greek life may not be for you. If you do decide to rush during formal again next year, get recs to every house.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

All right OP, I'm going to state some things that may come across as harsh. It's not my nature to blow rainbows (as AZ-Alpha Xi and a host of others will attest). It's apparent you are still desiring sorority membership, which truthfully may not be in your life plan at your current campus.

Why? Well, you have had three opportunities at NPC sorority recruitment: two formal and one informal. You've been completely released twice in formal. That's a red flag. A very large red flag, actually. That fact, coupled with all your posts, leads me to surmise that there is something you are not telling us.

Your questions about how to make connections point to a fundamental issue. You're at least 18 or 19 years old and unless you have been living in a remote forest and were raised by a pack of wolves, you should have a good idea of how to network, make social friends, etc. by now. We gave you the best advice we had/have, and you didn't follow it (e.g. "recs aren't a thing at my school"). I pointed you to all the useful recruitment threads last year. There is so much information here on GC (and YouTube) that is helpful. Now you want a recipe on how to make friends with sorority women, ostensibly so you can get a bid. That's not how it works.

So, my Panhell sisters can chastise me for what I'm writing, and I'll take it. I own my words and my behavior. I am responding because I can't see you get hurt again, and I have some ideas as to what your "problem" may be, but as I repeatedly write on GC, I'm not good at speculating. I can't wish you good luck again until I get to the bottom of this.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-11-2018, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
All right OP, I'm going to state some things that may come across as harsh. It's not my nature to blow rainbows (as AZ-Alpha Xi and a host of others will attest). It's apparent you are still desiring sorority membership, which truthfully may not be in your life plan at your current campus.

Why? Well, you have had three opportunities at NPC sorority recruitment: two formal and one informal. You've been completely released twice in formal. That's a red flag. A very large red flag, actually. That fact, coupled with all your posts, leads me to surmise that there is something you are not telling us.

Your questions about how to make connections point to a fundamental issue. You're at least 18 or 19 years old and unless you have been living in a remote forest and were raised by a pack of wolves, you should have a good idea of how to network, make social friends, etc. by now. We gave you the best advice we had/have, and you didn't follow it (e.g. "recs aren't a thing at my school"). I pointed you to all the useful recruitment threads last year. There is so much information here on GC (and YouTube) that is helpful. Now you want a recipe on how to make friends with sorority women, ostensibly so you can get a bid. That's not how it works.

So, my Panhell sisters can chastise me for what I'm writing, and I'll take it. I own my words and my behavior. I am responding because I can't see you get hurt again, and I have some ideas as to what your "problem" may be, but as I repeatedly write on GC, I'm not good at speculating. I can't wish you good luck again until I get to the bottom of this.
Tough love, well said. Something definitely seems odd given the number of times the OP rushed and that she was cut by every house each time.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

My mama always taught me that when something doesn't make sense, something is missing. That "something" is usually the truth.

midwesterng!rl2 I am certain that you KNOW the answer, but have chosen not to share it with us. We cannot possibly give any advice that will help without knowing all of the information. I think it is time to move on.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Just another thought - look at the other women who were totally released? Is there a common denominator? Probably....
Old 09-11-2018, 10:29 PM

Going to be really honest.

This is your third recruitment. 2nd formal recruitment at a very large Big 10 campus.

I think it is time to move on from sorority.

You tried. You did. But there tends to be diminishing returns with each effort. A third formal recruitment is not going to get you a better result. Whether you meet a ton of members this year or not.

I'd do some soul searching about other opportunities on campus that you may be interested in. One positive about much of the Big 10 is that there are tons of things to get involved in.

Pining away for and holding out hope for sorority at this point is taking time that you could be using to really jump into something else and enjoy college.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Going to be really honest.

This is your third recruitment. 2nd formal recruitment at a very large Big 10 campus.

I think it is time to move on from sorority.

You tried. You did. But there tends to be diminishing returns with each effort. A third formal recruitment is not going to get you a better result. Whether you meet a ton of members this year or not.

I'd do some soul searching about other opportunities on campus that you may be interested in. One positive about much of the Big 10 is that there are tons of things to get involved in.

Pining away for and holding out hope for sorority at this point is taking time that you could be using to really jump into something else and enjoy college.

And remember, OP already belongs to at least three other campus groups that take time away from time she would need to have for sorority membership.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.