GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,344
2 members and 2,342 guests
Cookiez17, Sciencewoman

Old 09-19-2007, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Spring Rush at UGA

Can anyone tell me if their is such a thing as Spring Rush at Ga. I thought their only rush was in the fall. Do all the sororities participate or just the ones who need to get to quota or fill their houses ?? Just curious
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-19-2007, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

uga spring rush

Houses that are below total rush in the spring - not sure how many that will be this year since most of them made quota plus. Spring rush tends to be very informal.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's an article from 2005 about Spring Rush at UGA but I can't find anything more recent.

http://media.www.redandblack.com/med...-2573196.shtml

Not every house participates. The one I advise has not participated in Spring Rush in 20+ years.

And FYI-- House Total at UGA is at 170. The UGA panhellenic just voted NOT to increase to 180.

As of the end of Fall recruitment, not counting any COB numbers, the only two houses under 170 were Delta Gamma and Sigma Delta Tau. So they would be the only two participants in Spring Rush.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by melongirl View Post
Here's an article from 2005 about Spring Rush at UGA but I can't find anything more recent.

Not every house participates. The one I advise has not participated in Spring Rush in 20+ years.

And FYI-- House Total at UGA is at 170. The UGA panhellenic just voted NOT to increase to 180.

As of the end of Fall recruitment, not counting any COB numbers, the only two houses under 170 were Delta Gamma and Sigma Delta Tau. So they would be the only two participants in Spring Rush.
Just for the record, there *could* be other houses participating if they have a ton of mid-year graduates or DA's this semester, right?
Old 09-20-2007, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Quote:

Just for the record, there *could* be other houses participating if they have a ton of mid-year graduates or DA's this semester, right?
Yes, technically, if they lost members due to resignation or December graduation or transfer, then they could participate in Spring Rush. However, it sounds like it'd take a HUGE loss of active members to drop a chapter below total if most chapters are so far above total that Campus Panhellenic was considering raising it.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes- that * could * happen. Then next "lowest" house was 12 members over 170-- so that would take a heck of a December graduation for them to participate.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh-- the UGA Panhel also voted to *look* at extension. But as we know that takes years.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh-- the UGA Panhel also voted to *look* at extension. But as we know that takes years.
Not really. My school put together a committee in November, researched for six months, and presented in May. Unfortunately PHA voted no, but if the vote had been yes, we would have had the new sorority come in Spring 2008 after formal recruitment or Fall 2008, or another semester, depending on what kind of timetable the sorority wanted.

Also, even if the general climate is pro-extension and PHA votes yes (which is actually every sorority's NPC Delegate's vote), you have to consider are there any NPCs not at UGA that think they could be successful at UGA? Sure, every NPC wants to have a chapter at a big Greek school like UGA, but not all of them would succeed, and if a sorority fails, it's going to be a lot of money down the drain for that org.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

And it's a particularly bad time in terms of housing, as far as I know.

The local gov't has limited pretty tightly where Greek housing will be permitted with zoning laws.

A couple of fraternities are being forced to relocate by the university and they don't seem be presenting them with desirable on campus locations to build. I think a couple of existing fraternities are without houses. (It's kind of hard to tell who is really still there.)

Other than the D Phi E house (I think they probably hope to recolonize so I doubt they will sell), I have no idea where a new group could expect to build or buy a house, and without one it would be really hard to compete for new members.

But keeping chapter total low will keep interest in expansion high as well as allowing smaller groups to catch up or enjoy being caught up for a while before a new group comes on.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 09-20-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes- that * could * happen. Then next "lowest" house was 12 members over 170-- so that would take a heck of a December graduation for them to participate.
Do you have a list of numbers for all the groups?
Other than the two groups below total, what is the difference in size between the largest and the smallest group?
Old 09-20-2007, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought DPhiE sold their house to the University for $600,000. They plan to use it for office space right now, but Lumpkin is where the University is expanding in the near future with plans for a new home for the library special collections, a new building for the business school and family and consumer science school, etc. I read about the DPhiE sale on another thread. I was surprised they sold to the University considering how tight the market is for Greek housing right now in Athens. But I think it was one of those situations where UGA owns the land, Nationals owns the house, etc.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know at all. But I thought that the section that they were on that they probably owned it.

The fraternities are definitely in the UGA-owns-the-land boat, but in my mind's eye the sorority houses on Lumpkin are much farther away form the North Campus section the university wants to build on, and other non- UGA buildings are interspersed with them. (For example, the Catholic Center is right there, along with some apartments). It would surprise me if UGA did own the land that the D Phi E house was on.

http://www.uga.edu/panhellenic/chapters.html

But it would make sense if UGA bought it to basically give to one of the fraternities they are kicking out, except that D Phi E would have to know how hard that would make it to recolonize later. And if the chapter was there since the 30s, it seems strange that they'd decide that fast.

Any D Phi Es from UGA know?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cluey Send a message via Yahoo to Cluey
I'm sure that they (UGA Deephers) do know, but they probably have a lot of things going on right now. The last thing on their mind is updating GC with the latest info regarding their chapter. Or, perhaps they do have that information, but they do not wish to release at this time, especially to the teh interweb peeps.

Just a thought...
Old 09-21-2007, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluey View Post
I'm sure that they (UGA Deephers) do know, but they probably have a lot of things going on right now. The last thing on their mind is updating GC with the latest info regarding their chapter. Or, perhaps they do have that information, but they do not wish to release at this time, especially to the teh interweb peeps.

Just a thought...
I wouldn't think that if they already sold the house as XiDelt suggested that it'd be something they were worried about keeping private.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to UGATammy
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
I wouldn't think that if they already sold the house as XiDelt suggested that it'd be something they were worried about keeping private.
DPhiE at UGA decided to take a break and in a few years are hoping to come back. I'm waiting as I pass the old house everyday on my way to work!

Here is a link that explains: http://www.uga.edu/columns/070813/digest.html

"Individually unique. Together complete." ~ Unknown