GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,400
1 members and 2,399 guests
navane

Old 06-17-2000, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Serious Question about BGLOs

Ok, that thread about "BGLOS creating divisions between blacks" got me thinking. Are there really fights that happen all the time because someone from one group is wearing the colors of another group? If so, that is really sad because that would mean as a Kappa you could no longer wear black, gold, purple, blue, or white. Somebody please inform me.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-17-2000, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I just re-read the entire thread. Nowhere did it mention a fight relating to greeks wearing another orgs colors. This is how rumors get started. People read things, confuse statements and repeat the confused version.

The thread did mention fights after step shows. Yes, I've seen that happen. It also alluded to a fight if an Omega saw an Alpha wearing gold boots. I've seen Sigmas and Kappas get into arguements over who had the cane first, but that's their issue, not ours. The things I've mentioned (the cane, the boots) are things that are associated with a particular fraternity. But fighting over wearing another orgs colors is WAY over my head. We don't own our respective colors. I mean, think about it. If we fought non-members because they were wearing our org's colors, we'd be fighting several people everyday for no reason. Yes, the colors have special meaning to our respective orgs, but anyone can wear them. Now if there are letters on those colors, that's a different story.
Old 06-18-2000, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
No...these are isolated occurences. We are talking about thousands of chapters collectively. If such was the case we would be in national news daily.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jae:
Are there really fights that happen all the time because someone from one group is wearing the colors of another group? Somebody please inform me.

------------------
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated...Every Finer Woman's Dream!
Old 06-18-2000, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

copied from: http://3n1promo.com/temple/step.html

Part 1: The Genesis
It began with singing or chanting associated with the process of crossing the burning sands. Brothers would gather in the quad and sing and chant. They eventually graduated to dancing and from there stepping. For some time, some yards down south would call the step-off's a "Sing" instead of a "Step-show". The white fraternities started the singing part, but the black fraternities took it to another level. Much like we did with basketball, football, tennis, etc. I don't think that any one fraternity can lay claim to stepping, more than likely it evolved a number situations and circumstances. One fact that is evident is the early origins of stepping stem from members of both Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. as well as Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. It is possible that this came about during the first joint meeting of any of the black national fraternity's conventions in the early 1920's that took place between Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. and Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. The results of which was the Inter-Fraternity Conference of 1922 in Washington, D.C. In between sessions and even during social events it is believed that stepping, in a sense, was done while each organization strutted their stuff, most likely to impress the ladies. These could have been each organization singing or chanting their perspective songs will marching or standing in groups. It is not exactly clear, but it is known that sororities didn't start stepping until several years after the fraternities.

Other elements of stepping formed after the return of brothers from World War II. Various elements of military marching and line formations were implemented into fraternities with the end of the war and the advent of peace time. This, along with the founders influence, are some of the origins for the use of the cane by Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. in many regions. To this day the military influence as well as Masonic influences can still be seen in the step process as well as the pledge process of most Black Greek Lettered Organizations. It is through these and many other factors that stepping began to become an intimate part of Black Greek Lettered Organizations.

SOURCES:

Brother Terrence A.B. Lewis
Brother Ahab El'Askeni

Part 2: The Evolution
Aspects of stepping within fraternities became previlant when brothers returned from World War II. As more and more military men joined or chartered chapters they brought march elements into the pledge process. Of course many practices are based upon the Masonic influence as well as the African influence of the marching armies of antiquity such as the Warriars of Carthage, led by the military genious of Hannibal Ruler of Carthage (247-183 B.C.), the Nubian warriors of the mighty King Piankhy of Nubia (c. 720 B.C.), as well as the Zulu Legion of the famed general Chaka, the Zulu Monarch (c. 1786 - 1828 B.C.).

For Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, in many regions, canes were used due, in part, to the influence of the founders, but for the most part by the military drill sergants who were members. In the late 40's and early 50's, for the purpose of identification, many black drill sergants carried canes. These canes allowed other black soldiers to identify with their rank, which was neccessary on many bases where racism was prevalent. Of course there were some drill sergants that were members of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. as well as Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. and it is possible that these were some of the influences for using canes as a part of the step process.

Stepping evolved with groups of guys singing acappella, and when groups like the Temptations and the Four Tops were popular in the 50's and 60's brothers started mimicking their steps. This is part of the reason why it is called "Stepping" now. Brothers would try to come up with the best steps while they were singing to please the ladies. If you got the ladies you got more recruits. Much like it is today.

Others say that stepping replaced the doo woop sounds and cardigan sweaters of the 50's. At around the same time as the "Black Power" Movements and Africa centered movements of the 60's, stepping started to flourish with the incorporation of some traditional African ritual dancing and the incorporation of other elements like cheer leading, tap, gymnastics, etc. Over the years stepping has become very intricate and demanding incorporating props, high levels of gymnastics and other elements found in team sports. Please note that some people want to give the credit to the South African Boot Dance, but it would be unfair to ignore everything that stepping was in the beginning and it is now.

Stepping is an original art form that was influenced by many elements from our past.

SOURCE:
Brother Rapheal Forbes
Brother Ahab El'Askeni
Brother Terrence A.B. Lewis

Old 06-18-2000, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

soror, you just had school up in here! you are correct in that they tradition began with singing. my father (KAPsi '62) has shared that they would serenade the women's dorms when they came out. it was a competion to see who could blow the best and make the girls scream. according to him, the women would actually throw their underwear out the windows! imagine that! at any rate, all of the orgs would try to find members who were talented so that they could show up the other organizations. one of my mentors who is an Omega said, "that's what's wrong with these young bucks, they can't sing or dance. to pledge back in my day, you had to have some talent!" so, it evolved from that. some sorors have actually commented that they didn't think hard stepping was ladylike because they basically swayed and sang.
Old 06-19-2000, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I hear you Soror. I think it would be a nice change of pace to go back to the truly old school stepping. I'm getting tired of going to a show and seeing Kappas make lewd gestures with their canes, Sigmas putting whipped cream on a chair or pie plate a licking it off in a suggestive manner, etc. (yes, I'm calling people out)
Old 06-19-2000, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Just my 2 cents:

I've never heard them fighting over colors (well, locally that is). I can remember one night when me and some friends were with our Kappa friends going to an AKA party. We were picking at one kappa about wearing a golden yellow shirt. But he took it all in stride, and our alpha friends there didn't really care. It was all love.
Old 06-21-2000, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

We are Greek organizations, not Gangs....I mean that is really to extreme. and there is no need to even further this topic in my opinion