GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Pi > Pi Beta Phi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 902
3 members and 899 guests
g41965, Sarak24034, Sen's Revenge

Old 07-02-2004, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

mergers/absorbing other sororities

In the Greek Life forum there is an interesting thread about mergers of NPC sororities and larger NPC sororities absorbing smaller sororities (not locals that become chapters). this made me wonder - has Pi Phi ever absorbed or merged with another NPC or major sorority? I don't remember ever reading about any mergers or even absorbing anyone major, but maybe I missed something? It seems like it would have been in the pledge manual or something if we actually did. I just keep reading about these other mergers and how the defunct sorority felt that XYZ had the same ideals, so I guess the real question is whether anyone has ever approached us about merger/being absorbed?

Last edited by angelove; 07-02-2004 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
That's a very interesting question. I *think* that the answer is no. I've read or skimmed most of our history book, and I don't recall any mention of a merger.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

I never heard of us merging with another national but I do know that some very powerful locals--such as Alpha Omega at Baylor and Strings at Wake Forest--have become Pi Phi chapters.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

There is a new thread on the Greek Life forum that lists every NPC merger that has taken place between NPC members, and Pi Phi isn't anywhere on the list. From reading some of the other threads, it sounds as if the larger organization adopts some of the ritual & symbols of the merged/absorbed organization. I don't want to sound un-Panhellenic, but I can't imagine incorporating another organization's rituals or symbols - I love Pi Phi just the way it is!
Old 07-09-2004, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to piphimaggie
I dont know of PiPhi ever merging with another major sorority, but I do know of a split that occurred on my campus that involved PiPhi. In 1968, there were over 80 PiPhis in the Knox College chapter of PiPhi which, let me tell you, is HUGE (we have around 46 to date...quota is 50). It has been said that during that year, our chapter pledged a black woman....and nationals didn't approve (she is pictured on the '68 composite). In response, half of the chapter left PiPhi to form a local sorority called Gamma Rho. GR lasted about 4 or 5 yrs on campus (according to alums who were undergrads then). A fraternity on our campus did a similar thing but instead of members breaking away from the Nat'l organization to start a local chapter, the entire chapter broke away from Nat'ls and became local.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
Quote:
Originally posted by piphimaggie
It has been said that during that year, our chapter pledged a black woman....and nationals didn't approve (she is pictured on the '68 composite).
Huh whoa what? Nationals didn't approve of a member due to her race???
Old 07-10-2004, 03:22 AM
GreekChat Member

apparently....that's what I've been told from alums still in the area who were in chapter at that time....there's not a problem with that in our chapter currently, NONE at all
different times, I guess....
Old 07-10-2004, 03:51 AM
GreekChat Member

i thought we had something to do with Gamma Phi. Like we merged out of them...something?? we have an old article about our chapter being built and it says Pi Beta Phi, but the girls are wearing Gamma Phi and we have an old school pi phi pin but it says Gamma Phi as well as a plaque in the fire place that says Gamma Phi. But don't get me wrong we love pi phi! haha...all the Gamma Phi stuff has just been around for ages

pi phi love,
...colleen*
Old 07-11-2004, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
Pi Phi has never merged with another NPC group but has colonized some very old locals, Wake Forest and Valparasio are two that I can think of offhand.

And yes, racial issues did divide chapters in the 60s. To judge actions of that chapter or "nationals" with the more enlightened attitudes of today is just as wrong as some of the racial and religious clauses were in the 60s. While some were in writing and some were not, it was not uncommon for NPC groups to fobid chapters to pledge women who were not white and Protestant Christian in the past (yes, some chapters would not pledge Catholic or Jewish women). I'm not saying it was right to do so, just that it happened. Discrimination occured on many fronts then and understanding this will help chapter members of today understand some of the 'politically incorrect' attitudes that older members might let slip.

As a pledge of the late 70s, I have witnessed the attitudes change over the years. While conventions are still overwhelmingly Caucasion, there is more diversity now. As I am the recipient (and reader) of several reports submitted by the VP Mentals, I was surprised how many chapters have pledged/ initiated international students. That would NOT have happened even as recently as 1970.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally posted by collme83
i thought we had something to do with Gamma Phi. Like we merged out of them...something?? we have an old article about our chapter being built and it says Pi Beta Phi, but the girls are wearing Gamma Phi and we have an old school pi phi pin but it says Gamma Phi as well as a plaque in the fire place that says Gamma Phi. But don't get me wrong we love pi phi! haha...all the Gamma Phi stuff has just been around for ages

pi phi love,
...colleen*
Was your chapter colonized from a local named Gamma Phi? Or are you talking about Gamma Phi Beta?
Old 07-17-2004, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow Maggie . . . I feel like a total moron being that I had NO IDEA about that.
Old 07-17-2004, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

you just gotta hang around Mary Burgland more often she'll tell you AAAAALLL about it!