GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,326
1 members and 1,325 guests
speedsters

Old 01-22-2012, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

West Coast Recruitment Story

I love reading all of the recruitment stories on this site. Since I joined my sorority before I got on this site I never told my recruitment story. However my younger sister is currently going through formal recruitment at her school so I thought I'd share her story!

My sister goes to a school on the west coast that has four sororities. I don't think that recruitment their is very competitive, but they have a much larger amount of girls going through this year than they have in the past.

The sororities will be:
California
Washington
Oregon
Arizona

Before recruitment started they had what was sort of like an orientation day. All of the PNM's met up at a building on the campus. They met their Rho Gamma's and they saw power point presentations on each sorority. They also got their recruitment packets about how recruitment worked.

Their recruitment is spread out over four days. They have Activity Day, Philanthropy Day, Preference Day and finally Bid Day!

My next post will be about Activity Day.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Activity Day

During Activity Day, my sister went to every sorority. She met several woman at each house and they played little get-to-know-you games.

California: My sister loved this house. She said that she had a lot in common with the women from this sorority and felt very welcomed and comfortable. She also said that this sorority is one of the most popular at her school so she is nervous that it will be very competitive to get into.

Oregon: Before recruitment started, my sister was a little more inclined to join this sorority because she has a friend from home who joined. However she said that at this house she didn't feel as if she had much of a connection with them. She said that the conversation was forced and she didn't feel as comfortable at this chapter.

Washington: At this chapter, my sister also felt very at home. She said that she had great conversations with all of the women that she met. She really liked their philanthropy and said that they all seemed like great girls.

Arizona: My sister had a good time at this sorority as well. She said that she didn't have as great of conversations that she did at Washington or California but that they were still very nice and welcoming.

After Activity Day, she had to rank every sorority, she ranked them as:
1.California
2.Washington
3.Arizona
4.Oregon
Old 01-22-2012, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Philanthropy Day

Today was Philanthropy Day. My sister was very nervous that she wouldn't have a full schedule or that she wouldn't get asked back to her top choices. Today, PNMs were able to go back to up to three houses.
Her schedule for today was:
Washington, Arizona and California!

She was so excited because this was exactly the houses she wanted to return to.

Washington: She had a really fun time at this sorority. She said that once again she had great conversations with all of the women she met.

Arizona: She said that after Philanthropy Day, she was most interested in their philanthropy. However she didn't really connect with the women she talked to today.

California: My sister said that she had an amazing time at this house today. She loved the girls she talked to and even met a woman who lived close to where we went to high school and they actually had some mutual friends! She also said that a woman that she talked to during Activity Day came up to her and said that she was excited that she had come back! My sister said that so far, this is her top choice.

At the end of today my sister ranked the houses as:
1.[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]California[/COLOR]
2.Washington
3. Arizona

She said that tomorrow she is really hoping to go back to California and Washington. She said that even though she ranked California higher, she would be happy with Washington as well.

Tomorrow is Preference Day, I will update after! Hope you're all enjoying to story!
Old 01-23-2012, 01:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Yay another West Coaster.
Since Oregon is out, I want to root for Washington, but since your sis loves California so much I can't!

Can't wait to hear the rest!

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 01-23-2012, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2012, 04:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Pref Night

My sister was SO nervous last night and today about which houses were going to ask her back. She was really hoping that California and Washington would ask her back. Today she texted me before she went to her preference parties and said that she got.....

California and Washington!!

She was so excited that she got her top two choices! She called me after to tell me how it went.

California: She went to California first. She said that their preference ceremony was very moving. She ended up getting matched up with a woman that she had met on a previous day. She said that she thought that they got along so well. She said that she is in love with this chapter and she can really see herself being in this house.

Washington: My sister said that Washington is a very close second. She has really liked all of the women that she has met at this chapter. She also enjoyed the preference ceremony but didn't feel the same connection that she did at California.

At the end of the day, my sister ranked her houses as:

1.California
2.Washington

My sister is so excited about tomorrow. She said that she is in love with California but she also really likes Washington and would be happy with either. But she is so nervous and she keeps asking questions about how chapters do their selection, what if she doesn't get a bid ect, ect. I have tried to give her the best advice that I can and I told her that she will end up in the right place no matter what.

Tomorrow I will update about Bid Day! Please keep your fingers crossed for my sister!
Old 01-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck to your sister!
Old 01-25-2012, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Bid Day!

Yesterday was my sisters bid day. She was nervous the entire day but really excited. At 6 all of the PNM's met up in a building on campus to open their bids. My sisters opened hers and it said...

California!

Which means that my little sister is now a proud new member of...

Pi Beta Phi!!

She is so excited and cant wait to start everything. Two of her friends from the dorms also got bids! I am so proud and excited for her and I cant wait to hear how the rest of her semester goes!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to your sister!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

Congratulations to your sister!
Old 01-26-2012, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a feeling this might be at the school I advise at...I will PM you. But a huge congrats to your little sister, I hope that she loves Pi Beta Phi as much as I do! I love happy endings!!!
Old 01-26-2012, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

YES! I love Pi Beta Phi endings; my very bestest friend of all time is a Pi Phi. Congratulations!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-27-2012, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to your sister! I always love a Pi Beta Phi ending!
Old 02-06-2012, 05:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Happy to hear the weak chapter has survived! Still in shock about the Kappa!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Given that all the chapters are currently well above total and nearly the same size, and all have great members, I don't think any of them could be considered "weak". That is a pretty disrespectful statement to put in a public forum IMHO.

Last edited by PiPhiERDoc; 02-06-2012 at 10:07 PM.