GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,073
1 members and 1,072 guests
zsamulpitt5293

Old 04-15-2003, 05:08 PM

Arrest made in Ohio State Fatal Arson Fire...

Unbelievable...

Arson ruled as cause of fire

By Jeff Polesovsky
The fire which killed five college students on 17th Avenue was determined to be arson.

According to local media, Franklin County Prosecutor Ron O'Brien could not discuss whether there were suspects, but the deaths will now be treated as homicides.

Investigators said they ruled out all other sources which could have caused the fire, including a full-sized charcoal grill found on the front of the wooden porch, kerosene tiki torches and gas and electrical lines leading to the house.

(above from the OSU Lantern)
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 08-05-2003 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Aww man.......

.....Kelly
Old 04-15-2003, 05:16 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
That's really sucks. I hope they catch the people responsible for this tragedy.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 04-15-2003, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Just when you think that the news can't possibly get any worse...

...it does.

Old 04-15-2003, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
I hope the arsonist are caught and get the death penalty if they have it in Ohio.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

This is unbelievable. I hope they find the person or people who did it.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
On the 6:00 news it said that there is a $15,000 reward for information about who set the fire. Also, I believe OU's IFC, WPA, and NPHC has been approached about donating money to crime stoppers to add more money to the reward.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down my heart breaks...

for the victims and their loved ones.
what form of human being would set such a fire...
my prayers and thoughts are with all.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:08 PM

What evidence do they have of arson?

Just because there isn't any evidence of what caused the fire doesn't mean it is arson. It is difficult to prove the cause of a fire becuase most of the evidence is destroyed by the fire, fireman or high pressure water hoses.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Just because there isn't any evidence of what caused the fire doesn't mean it is arson. It is difficult to prove the cause of a fire becuase most of the evidence is destroyed by the fire, fireman or high pressure water hoses.
I am confident that arson investigators know more about this than we do. The article didn't say that there was no evidence of any kind. It said that they had ruled out other causes. If the evidence were inconclusive, they'd say the cause was a mystery (they often do say this). They don't start up a huge homicide investigation unless they have real reason to suspect foul play.

Ivy
Old 04-16-2003, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by IvySpice
I am confident that arson investigators know more about this than we do. The article didn't say that there was no evidence of any kind. It said that they had ruled out other causes. If the evidence were inconclusive, they'd say the cause was a mystery (they often do say this). They don't start up a huge homicide investigation unless they have real reason to suspect foul play.

Ivy
No they don't. I know for a fact that some of them are wrong. Last year there was a fire at my school. The local building inspector accused the student tenants of contributing to the fire. The following week the state police fire marshall did an inspection of his own and totally contradicted the local building inspectors conclusions.

This reminds me of the Elizabeth Smart kidnapping. When she first disappeared the police automatically assumed that the parents were responsible. They spent most of their time investigating the parents. They leaked stories to the press about the parents drug use and fact that they were part of some swingers club. When everything was said and done the police didn't know sh*t. Their original assumptions were 100% wrong.

Back to the original point. What evidence is there of arson? The fact that they don't know the cause? If they don't know the cause then how can they know it is arson?

Last edited by madmax; 04-16-2003 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

All I can say is that this just makes me sick. It's bad enough to lose five young people to such a tragedy... but then to think that it may have been intentional! Wow, as the mother of two young girls it just makes me so sad to think of what their families must be going through.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

This is such sad news.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by madmax
What evidence do they have of arson?

There were some witnesses who claim to have seen an incendiary device thrown from a passing car just as the party was ending.

Otherwise, the local gas company has ruled out a gas leak, and the investigators have ruled out some Tiki Torches and a BBQ grill on the front stoop.

But, I think the main reason is that they've been talking about an accelerant possibility.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlphaGamDiva Send a message via Yahoo to AlphaGamDiva
Unhappy

it's really just unbelievable........something like this is so unnecessary and wasteful of life that it just infuriates me............arson? that's bullsh*t. i hope they catch whoever did this...and soon.....

My Facebook