GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,463
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, RogelioLan
» Online Users: 2,481
1 members and 2,480 guests
Kevin

Old 08-14-2006, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I wanna know...

I'm dying to know which houses are which! I'm always curious to hear a new take on what someone thinks each year.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-14-2006, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Round 2

I finally got in touch with my friend! She had a really rough day. According to her, a lot of girls did. Her Rho Chi said that cuts have been really severe this year. 1300 hundred girls registered for recruitment, and there is only room in quota for around 900. She was unforunately cut from Lucille Ball . However, she was invited back to:

Grace Kelly - She loves this house! The girls are very much like her. Sweet girls who seem very caring and laid back. She also liked how all the girls were very pretty but not intimidating. She is really hoping that this can be the home for her.

Jane Fonda - My friend really loved this house today. She has gone somewhat back and forth here, but today she talked to a girl she loved. She also really enjoyed seeing some girls she had talked to during first and second round. She can really see herself being sisters with some of these ladies.

Doris Day - She was really surprised to be asked back to this house. The girls are incredibly sweet and welcoming here, but she still is not feeling much of a connection with them. She would love to go back for pref round, as many people have told her that pref is when you will really feel which sorority is your home.

Dorothy Dandridge - She has given this house many tries, and even though she loves talking to girls here, she can not see herself as their sisters. She is excited to know she can be friends with them outside of sorority life.

Judy Garland and Ava Gardner - Despite another return to this house. My friend knows that this is not the home for her. She said all the girls were great, and she already knew a couple of girls in here, but it's just not the right sorority for her.

She was really dissapointed to be cut from Lucille Ball, but 5 out of 6 for skit round is pretty amazing. I am hoping she gets her choices for pref. I am so excited for her. Bid day is on Wednesday! I'll keep you posted when she tells me which houses she got to pref!

UGA recruitment has been brutal this year. I want to tell all the girls out there rushing to hang in there and stick it out. Pref round can really change everything, and you won't believe how at home you can feel, and how emotional you may get. You don't have to accept a bid, but you should really consider sticking it out through pref. Remember, all the sororities at UGA are really wonderful organizations. Best of luck to everyone!

-KD lady
Old 08-14-2006, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I received an email from "my" girl! But, I'm going to kill her, all she said was that she loved the skits she saw, couldn't believe they were so elaborate, and she ate some really great food! And that she is VERY tired! What she DIDN'T tell me was how many she went to, nor who they were! Well, she did mention one sorority's name that she loved and is hoping to get an invite to, but that was it! Now she's in trouble...tomorrow morning, I'm calling her mom to see how many and who she prefs (if any, and I SURE hope so!). Oh, she did say that yesterday she had gotten invited back to 13 houses, but could only go to 12, of course. Her's hoping I can post back her with some good news!
Old 08-14-2006, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

i don't understand how there can be room for only 900 bids out of 1300 enrolled pnms.

quota is supposed to be set, basically, by dividing the number of participating pnms by the number of chapters on a chosen given day.for example, state tech u. sets quota on day 3 of a 5 day recruitment. 800 girls are still participating in recruitment on that day. there as 10 chapters, so quota would be 80 pnms per chapter.

perhaps your friend misunderstood? maybe you friend meant that out of 1300 original pnms, there are now only 900 pnms remaining in recruitment?
Old 08-14-2006, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure

I'm not sure. That's what she told me her RX told her. I went through recruitment last fall (at an SEC school) and mine worked the way you explained. Maybe UGA has a policy that each sorority can only have a maximum number of members? Like I said, I'm not very familiar with recruitment there, and maybe the RX misspoke, or my friend interpreted it incorrectly. If it is true, it's very sad to hear. I can't believe there are so many fabulous PNMs who can't be placed due to restrictions such as these. If anyone is working with recruitment at UGA, can you please clarify how quota works?

- KD lady
Old 08-14-2006, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDLady06
I'm not sure. That's what she told me her RX told her. I went through recruitment last fall (at an SEC school) and mine worked the way you explained. Maybe UGA has a policy that each sorority can only have a maximum number of members? Like I said, I'm not very familiar with recruitment there, and maybe the RX misspoke, or my friend interpreted it incorrectly. If it is true, it's very sad to hear. I can't believe there are so many fabulous PNMs who can't be placed due to restrictions such as these. If anyone is working with recruitment at UGA, can you please clarify how quota works?

- KD lady
Quota is set at prefs based on # of girls at that point divided by 18. There are usually only about 900 PNMs at this point.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Georgia

UGA has a house total of 188ish. Quota is done slightly differently because UGA is using a return rate system this year that they started using last year. The top houses, meaning the ones with the largest numbers), have to cut around 75% of the girls after round 1. That way, they don't drag along the girls all the way through prefs knowing they are not going to take them. In the past, this has gotten a lot of girls' hopes up and a large number of girls end up suiciding, thinking they're getting their top choice, only to be cut; or, they drop out of rush when they are not invited back to certain houses. Last year, about 1200 girls went through rush and about 200 ended up dropping. That drop rate has been pretty consistent in the past so I'm sure that panhellenic factors that in somehow when setting quota. Additionally, about 100 girls last year were left without bids after prefs. So, by looking at the numbers: 1300 going through rush - 200ish dropping - 100ish not getting bids, 900 is about right.

THEREFORE,

QUOTA is not factored until after round 3 is over. That means that the girls will not know what quota is until tomorrow. I do know that it will be somewhere in the 50's. Last year I believe it was 54.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks!

Thanks for clearing that up! I'll be sure to pass this information on to my friend. I'm just glad her cuts haven't been too severe. She said she knows quite a few girls who dropped after today. She's such a beautiful and fun girl, but if you've ever been to UGA, you'll know that all of the girls are. Anyway, recruitment can be quite hard on every girl. I wish there were a better way, because it can be so discouraging. I tell every girl I know to just make it through pref round, and go to bid night. It's so hard to really get to know a sorority, just like it's hard for them to get to know you. Anyway, I'm rambling. My cuts weren't too bad during rush, but that doesn't mean I didn't have my fair share of dissapointment. I'm so happy where I am now, and I hope all these girls can just stick it out until Wednesday.

PS- The one house she was cut from was Tri-Delt, if you are still hoping for your house. She was really bummed, but she's got a lot of great options left!

Best to everyone,

KD lady

Last edited by KDLady06; 08-14-2006 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

i would guess that the release system that uga is using is the same one that fsu uses. the chapters at fsu who have the highest return rates(meaning that when those sororities extend invitations to the next round of parties, a very high precentage of the invitations are accepted) have to release more pnms early on. the hope behind this is that the pnms who are not invited back to these chapters, will remain in recruitment and concentrate on the invitations they do have.

each campus can set quota whenever they want. if they set it based on the girls remaining going into prefs. that works well for both the pnm and the chapters. you get a truer number. quota does not affect total-quota is the one time that you can go above total(unless you have initiated members who affialiate from another chapter

kdlady, you have shared some great advice with your friends. i hope that they listen to you and that they all find a happy home at georgia!!

Last edited by FSUZeta; 08-14-2006 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

:)

I just graduated from UGA in May...I'm an Alpha Gam

UGA is special because everyone pretty much knows what house they want before they even start the first day of rush. If girls know members of certain houses they feel that they have an "in" and if they get cut they either 1. feel that they can't go on because they've only focused on particular houses that have now rejected them or 2. have been told to drop because they can get snapped in. That's why I think the Rho Chi's need to do a better job explaining things to them. And yes you are right, the girls at UGA are GORGEOUS. I was beyond intimidated when I went through.

But anyway I love rush. I love it so much I am an advisor now. I wish that the girls going through had more of an open mind because there are some really great sororities at Georgia.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope she sticks it out, all the houses at UGA are wonderful, you can't go wrong. It's a tough rush but hopefully she can see the light at the end!
Old 08-14-2006, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta
i don't understand how there can be room for only 900 bids out of 1300 enrolled pnms.

quota is supposed to be set, basically, by dividing the number of participating pnms by the number of chapters on a chosen given day.for example, state tech u. sets quota on day 3 of a 5 day recruitment. 800 girls are still participating in recruitment on that day. there as 10 chapters, so quota would be 80 pnms per chapter.

perhaps your friend misunderstood? maybe you friend meant that out of 1300 original pnms, there are now only 900 pnms remaining in recruitment?
That was my reaction too........doesn't make sense.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Lucille Ball was Tri-Delt
Now, don't y'all know someone is going to read that, and the next thing we know, Lucille Ball will be listed as a famous member for Tri-Delta!
Old 08-14-2006, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

MSKKG

MSKKG -

You're right, I should probably rephrase that, before there is some crazy rumor going around!
Old 08-14-2006, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I want to tell all the girls out there rushing to hang in there and stick it out. Pref round can really change everything, and you won't believe how at home you can feel, and how emotional you may get. You don't have to accept a bid, but you should really consider sticking it out through pref. Remember, all the sororities at UGA are really wonderful organizations. Best of luck to everyone!

-KD lady

I totally agree. No matter how frustrated I got as a PNM or as a member on the other side of recruitment, Pref was my favorite night of recruitment and made everything worth while.