GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,274
1 members and 1,273 guests
Cookiez17

Old 02-22-2004, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Delta Tau Delta Closed for Hazing at GWU

Figured Hoosier or someone would have picked this out but ah well...

http://www.gwhatchet.com/news/2004/...es-609139.shtml

Delta Tau Delta the second biggest fraternity on campus and IMO probably the best party house that was left here got the boot from campus by both the school and their HQ for hazing.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-01-2004, 10:32 AM

The story was "not found," only the flashing commercials.

In any event, I'm sorry to hear about another errant Delt Chapter, but as I've said before, we have very little tolerance (read that NONE) for hazing if it's proven.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

DTD leaders to face charges

(I couldn't get the link to work, either, but I did find this. This is a private school, I think, and apparently GWU is killing the chapter, and then going after the officers individually. Time for our interfraternity Super Lawyer.

(Interestingly, on the page with this story about DTD's death, there's an ad for a company selling DTD merchandise. I luv the www.)
-------------------
DTD leaders to face charges
By Elizabeth Chernow
Published: Tuesday, February 17, 2004
Former members of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity can remain in their house until the end of the semester, Interfraternity Council leaders said.

Delta Tau Delta's national organization revoked the chapter's charter last week after allegations of hazing. The chapter can no longer operate under the name Delta Tau Delta, and the University will not recognize the group as a fraternity.

"From the University's perspective, there is not a Delta Tau Delta chapter on campus," said Tim Miller, associate director of the Student Activities Center.

Student Judicial Services will conduct hearings for the fraternity's six or seven former Executive Board members in the next two weeks, Miller said.

Clifton Coffey, former president of Delta Tau Delta, did not return several phone calls Monday.

Miller said SJS found out about "possible infractions" the week of Jan. 19, and began investigating. The following week, more charges surfaced, and the national organization stepped in to help with the investigation. Miller declined to comment on specifics of the infractions.

He said SJS and national representatives interviewed newly initiated fraternity members, all fraternity board members and some other members.

Miller said he could not comment on specific charges brought against fraternity members. He said all SJS hearings start with a minimum punishment, and rulings are based on individual circumstances and prior student judicial records.

"In any trial or judicial process with SJS, expulsion is always the maximum (punishment)," he said.

Hazing is defined as "any action taken or situation created, intentionally, with or without consent, whether on or off campus, to produce mental or physical discomfort, embarrassment, harassment or ridicule," according to GW's Code of Student Conduct.

Examples include paddling, scavenger hunts and making others engage in "public stunts and buffoonery," or degrading or humiliating activities, according to the code. Expecting members to drink alcohol or take drugs, with the threat of expulsion from the group, is also prohibited.

A student organization or individual officers can be held accountable for hazing incidents and face SJS violations.

SJS Director Tara Woolfson was out of the office last week and was unavailable for comment.

James Russell, executive vice president of Delta Tau Delta national, said his organization has not been in contact with the University since officials made their decision to close the chapter Wednesday. He declined to comment on the future of the house, located at 2020 G St.

Several students and Greek-letter leaders said Delta Tau Delta will be missed for its parties, community service and contribution to Greek-letter life.

Earlier this semester, the fraternity received a community service award for participating in a philanthropic Jazz Night in Southwest D.C. Last year, fraternity members coached a Northwest D.C. Little League team to an undefeated season. The fraternity was also known for its late-night house parties.

"It's sad because they played a large role in the Greek community at GW," Interfraternity Council President Ben Block said. "But they have to deal with the consequences of their actions just as anyone would."

"From my standpoint, it's a great loss (for the Greek-letter community)," said Harris Markowitz, president of Pi Kappa Phi.

Miller said while he understands there is a social component to Greek-letter life, "that's not what these groups formed on."

"Greek life can't be the way it was 20 years ago because people have made a lot of mistakes, he said.

Delta Tau Delta's loss of its charter is not the first time the chapter has committed serious University violations.

In Feb. 2001, Metropolitan Police arrested at least 10 people at a Delta Tau Delta-sponsored party for Student Association candidates. In April 2001, the University placed the fraternity on social probation following two charges of underage drinking and a discriminatory remark against homosexual students.

The "APES" fraternity, formerly Alpha Epsilon Pi and then Zeta Beta Tau, began recruiting members under a new name after losing national recognition. "APES" is unaffiliated with a national group or GW.

Delta Tau Delta members were unavailable for comment as to whether they would form an unrecognized group.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:42 AM

Re: DTD leaders to face charges

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
(I couldn't get the link to work, either, but I did find this. This is a private school, I think, and apparently GWU is killing the chapter, and then going after the officers individually. Time for our interfraternity Super Lawyer.
Sad.

But I don't agree on the Super Lawyer.

While other Greeks speak highly of the chapter and the good things it has done, the fact seems to remain that it has been disciplined in the past and didn't learn it's lesson.

It is unfortunate for the former officers, but they are probably bright enough to have realized they were breaking the rules or the law, and now, they may have to pay for the decision to do that.

I know that sounds cold, coming from a Brother Delt, but until we ALL learn these consequences, the fraternity system will be in grave danger.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

DeltaAlum, whether it comes From A Brother or any other Greek Dom Member, I ask the Same Question, When Do They Learn? Who are they Hurting!

Ah young People, some are not as Old and Mature as All of us would like them! But, when the F**KUP, it is a reflection On All Of us who have come through The Portal Of Iniation of our Respective Organizations!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-03-2004, 01:35 PM

Here's the official word:

The Arch Chapter of Delta Tau Delta Fraternity voted February 11, 2004 to close the Gamma Eta Chapter of the Fraternity at George Washington University. The decision came after the Fraternity confirmed allegations of activities within the chapter that violated Fraternity policies.

“The chapter demonstrated its inability to effectively manage operations and abide by Fraternity policies, practices and expectations,” Executive Vice President James B. Russell said. “Despite concentrated efforts by Fraternity alumni and university officials during the last several years, the Fraternity reached this decision after appropriate due diligence.”

The Gamma Eta Chapter was installed in 1903 and has 1,200 alumni members and undergraduates. After a reasonable passage of time, the Fraternity plans to partner with the university to recolonize the chapter at George Washington University.

Delta Tau Delta has 120 chapters and expansion colonies across the United States with an annual membership of 6,000 undergraduates more than 140,000 alumni members. The Fraternity posts an aggregate GPA of 2.9, making it one of the highest achieving men’s fraternities in academics.

Delta Tau Delta Fraternity is resolved to holding its chapters accountable to all policies set forth in its Member Responsibilities Guidelines. Delta Tau Delta is a values-driven fraternity founded in 1858. Its mission, “Committed to Lives of Excellence,” is what the Fraternity seeks to represent at its host institutions. Delta Tau Delta strives to develop its members’ leadership skills, seeks superior academic achievement, promotes community service efforts, and helps its members launch successful careers.

(From www.delts.org)
Old 03-03-2004, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
Here's the official word:

The Arch Chapter of Delta Tau Delta Fraternity voted February 11, 2004 to close the Gamma Eta Chapter of the Fraternity at George Washington University. The decision came after the Fraternity confirmed allegations of activities within the chapter that violated Fraternity policies.

“The chapter demonstrated its inability to effectively manage operations and abide by Fraternity policies, practices and expectations,” Executive Vice President James B. Russell said. “Despite concentrated efforts by Fraternity alumni and university officials during the last several years, the Fraternity reached this decision after appropriate due diligence.”

The Gamma Eta Chapter was installed in 1903 and has 1,200 alumni members and undergraduates. After a reasonable passage of time, the Fraternity plans to partner with the university to recolonize the chapter at George Washington University.

Delta Tau Delta has 120 chapters and expansion colonies across the United States with an annual membership of 6,000 undergraduates more than 140,000 alumni members. The Fraternity posts an aggregate GPA of 2.9, making it one of the highest achieving men’s fraternities in academics.

Delta Tau Delta Fraternity is resolved to holding its chapters accountable to all policies set forth in its Member Responsibilities Guidelines. Delta Tau Delta is a values-driven fraternity founded in 1858. Its mission, “Committed to Lives of Excellence,” is what the Fraternity seeks to represent at its host institutions. Delta Tau Delta strives to develop its members’ leadership skills, seeks superior academic achievement, promotes community service efforts, and helps its members launch successful careers.

(From www.delts.org)
I'm impressed that you were able to provide an aggregate GPA. I've never seen that done before.

-Rudey
--Snaps
Old 03-03-2004, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
I'm impressed that you were able to provide an aggregate GPA. I've never seen that done before.

-Rudey
--Snaps
Really? Delt has done it for some time. Guess I just assume everyone does it.