GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,352
5 members and 1,347 guests
acg233, John, Phrozen Sands, Sarak24034

Old 07-24-2018, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry Kappa Alpha Theta at Harvard Closing

I am absolutely sick at the announcement that the Kappa Alpha Theta chapter at Harvard University is closing due to pressure from the university.

https://www.kappaalphatheta.org/blog...ot-have-chosen
Old 07-24-2018, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

NOOOOOO!!!
That only leaves ΑΦ and ΔΓ, am I right?
This is so wrong.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post
NOOOOOO!!!
That only leaves ΑΦ and ΔΓ, am I right?
This is so wrong.
I think someone posted in another thread that DG is closing...so only Alpha Phi.

Kappa's members (or many of them) - now that their chapter has closed - have re-organized themselves as a social club open to all genders. They've named it Fleur de Lis, one of their symbols.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:30 PM

Here’s the whole thing - how are they going to MAKE men join these clubs even if they aren’t single gender? They will end up being a de facto sorority, without national oversight.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Forest. Trees. GAH!!!
Old 07-24-2018, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Harvard did not treat Theta (and other sororities) very well. I would guess that Theta may be glad they no longer have to deal the eccentricities of that school and the people who work there. I do respect Theta's integrity in not letting Harvard push them around or make them become something that they have no desire to become.

Regarding reorganizing the former Harvard sororities into social clubs open to all genders -- there is a well-worn model for this. It may not be very popular to post this, but I recall back in the last century, some fraternity chapters were de facto co-ed organizations. Almost all fraternities had little sister organizations. Some had little sister groups with membership numbers almost equaling the male active membership.

Don't get me wrong, there were and are very good reasons for fraternities eliminating the little sister auxiliary groups. My point is that, from a current student's perspective, multi-gender fraternal collegiate groups have been done before - long ago - and in many instances quite successfully.

Last edited by PhilTau; 07-24-2018 at 05:45 PM. Reason: clarify 3rd paragraph
Old 07-24-2018, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

DElta Gamma has left as well.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

This just makes me angry. I was really rooting for the remaining chapters and was proud of how they stood up to Harvard, but I understand why they chose not to continue.

I guess now that the evil single-gender Greek orgs are leaving, that will make Harvard a social utopia? 🙄🙄🙄

Just dumb.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

So disappointing! I was so proud of DG, Alpha Phi and Theta for taking a stand. I guess the collegians simply felt the battle was not worth it. The votes to back down came from the collegians, not the HQs.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
DElta Gamma has left as well.
Where did you hear that? I have not seen an official announcement from EO and I’ve been following this story closely because I’m so passionate about it.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:11 AM

[/URL]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDG View Post
Where did you hear that? I have not seen an official announcement from EO and I’ve been following this story closely because I’m so passionate about it.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/dg-library/...ss-Release.pdf

It was announced on DG’s webpage in May.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 07-26-2018, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
[/URL]

https://s3.amazonaws.com/dg-library/...ss-Release.pdf

It was announced on DG’s webpage in May.
Thanks. Don’t know how I missed that. Very sad.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

It looks like there are NPHC members at Harvard, but the chapters are actually citywide chapters that encompass members from several Boston area colleges. Are the Harvard students in these chapters also being threatened with these same sanctions or the fact that the chapters are off campus and contain members in a variety of schools saving them from the same scrutiny? If that's the case, couldn't some of the NPC organizations do something new and not only establish off-campus chapters, but make them open to women in other schools that don't have NPC chapters such as Wellesley?
Old 07-24-2018, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

This whole thing makes me so sick. Misogyny through and through. Take away all opportunities for women to have a safe space, leadership opportunities without oppression, and being forced to live in the "good ole boys" world without respite. Of course, since women aren't paid equally, I suppose their alumnae withholding donations or the like wouldn't have much of an effect.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:33 AM
GreekChat Member

From Vanity Fair: What’s Really Behind the Civil War to End Harvard’s Fraternities?