GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,236
1 members and 2,235 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 02-17-2017, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Indiana University Delta Tau Delta house

I was waiting to see if any of the GC peeps would post a thread RE: this title.

The DTD house at IU is available. The DTD chapter was closed recently to due RM issues. Multiple unhoused IU greek organizations were interested in leasing the house. There was a furry of conversations and speculations RE: who wanted or would get the house.

As of today, Theta Phi Alpha submitted paperwork to lease the house. Attorneys from both organizations are reviewing the paperwork. A decision will come next week whether Theta Phi Alpha gets the house.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting news from IU Land!

Is the house "sorority ready" or would there need to be remodeling/redecorating?
Old 02-17-2017, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Interesting news from IU Land!

Is the house "sorority ready" or would there need to be remodeling/redecorating?
The house needs to be sorority ready (bathrooms). The DTD Housing Corp. did basic cleaning and upkeep after the house was trashed by the undergrads in retaliation.

I am hoping IndianaSigKap chimes in with more info.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:48 AM

What happens when DTD is allowed to return to campus and wants their house back? Or do you just pray really hard that never happens?

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer but unless something like this is purposely short term (i.e. living there while a new wing is built on your existing house or something) how could you not feel like you were living on borrowed time? That's my thought every time I see this happen, not just now.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
What happens when DTD is allowed to return to campus and wants their house back? Or do you just pray really hard that never happens?
This is the first time I can remember a sorority participating in "musical houses" (not counting AGD, which is in the old Phi Kappa Psi house this year while their house is being completely renovated), but it is extremely common with the fraternities at IU. I'm guessing when DTD returns to campus and is ready to take back their house, TPA will do the same thing that the fraternities do: either move into other housing that's available or go back to doing what they're doing now. (Right now they have one whole building in an apartment complex that's close to campus.)
Old 02-18-2017, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

33, when Theta's charter at San Diego State was pulled, DG stepped in to lease the house. I believe DG was aware of Theta's intent to recolonize at State if the opportunity arose in the future; the Theta property was not for sale. I also believe that DG was actively seeking housing during the several years (five?) that they leased the Theta property. I'll do more research and update if I find different info. Or a DG alumna may have more information and will clarify.

Point: TPA will have time to search for housing. The University will also have time to work with the unhoused chapters on housing solutions. I suspect this has been ongoing, since housing seems to be a sticking point (also here at Arizona and more on that later! stay tuned). And maybe, just maybe, this will have a happy ending!

Last edited by AZTheta; 02-18-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

33, if you need to ask a question about a particular situation with which you are unfamiliar, the proper way to ask is in a manner that is not denigrating to the parties concerned. That seems to be a little beyond your abilities which, had you been raised in the south, would be somewhat more honed toward civility.

This happens in many places. Please be assured that the professional and experienced women who deal with housing on a national level have handled these situations many times. We know how to write a lease that protects us from the expected and unexpected future. I served in the housing area for my group for many years (while the SD State incident mentioned by AZTheta transpired as well as several other lease situations occurred with my group and I currently serve on the NPC University Housing Initiatives Committee as a Subject Matter Expert - just giving my creds here). We know what to do. Please have faith that we, nor TPA, nor your group make hasty decisions that will impact us negatively down the proverbial yellow brick road. You might do some research on your group's web site and read the housing handbooks, etc that are the backbone of any group's efforts.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:09 PM

What on earth crawled up your butt and exploded? If that's a "civil" post I'd hate to see a polite one.

I'm sorry if my asking a perfectly natural question triggered you somehow, but rest assured I would be asking the same question if any other sorority or fraternity or student group leased a house and a thread was created specifically to talk about it. My own campus went through the "musical houses" phase with not the best results and obviously those houses are like 1/100 of the property/$/upkeep at someplace like IU. Perhaps it's common and works in other places, but it's just odd to me. (Just the way that local Greeks or unhoused Greeks or this or that are odd to other people that post on here. We all went to different schools and have different experiences and opinions that have nothing to do with policies or handbooks or credentials, what a concept.) But implying that I'm trying to bash TPA or DTD is ridiculous. If you don't like the way I word my posts, don't offend your delicate sensibilities by reading them.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What on earth crawled up your butt and exploded? If that's a "civil" post I'd hate to see a polite one.

I'm sorry if my asking a perfectly natural question triggered you somehow, but rest assured I would be asking the same question if any other sorority or fraternity or student group leased a house and a thread was created specifically to talk about it. My own campus went through the "musical houses" phase with not the best results and obviously those houses are like 1/100 of the property/$/upkeep at someplace like IU. Perhaps it's common and works in other places, but it's just odd to me. (Just the way that local Greeks or unhoused Greeks or this or that are odd to other people that post on here. We all went to different schools and have different experiences and opinions that have nothing to do with policies or handbooks or credentials, what a concept.) But implying that I'm trying to bash TPA or DTD is ridiculous. If you don't like the way I word my posts, don't offend your delicate sensibilities by reading them.
When one calls into doubt their ability to properly vet a situation, one is bashing them. Have you ever rented a place to live? Did you fret the whole time that you were "living on borrowed time?" What a horrid thing to say about your Panhellenic sisters. Or perhaps you don't view them that way?
Old 02-18-2017, 10:58 PM

Did you read the last sentence of my post? Apparently not.
Yes, if I rented a house from someone who I knew had (example) a daughter traveling through Europe whose return date was uncertain, but who I had been informed would be back in the house as soon as she returned, I would feel like I was living on borrowed time. Again, that's my OPINION. If it works in this instance, great.

And considering I actually attended school with Theta Phi Alpha sisters, as well as lived with one, I don't really think you need to worry about how I "view" them.

GL Mods, can you close or delete this thread? Apparently it's too touchy of a subject to discuss.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I'm sorry if my asking a perfectly natural question triggered you somehow, but rest assured I would be asking the same question if any other sorority or fraternity or student group leased a house and a thread was created specifically to talk about it. My own campus went through the "musical houses" phase with not the best results and obviously those houses are like 1/100 of the property/$/upkeep at someplace like IU. Perhaps it's common and works in other places, but it's just odd to me. (Just the way that local Greeks or unhoused Greeks or this or that are odd to other people that post on here. We all went to different schools and have different experiences and opinions that have nothing to do with policies or handbooks or credentials, what a concept.)
edited to remove the non-relevant comments (that's MY opinion). Bolded a statement because I now understand and see that you "have a dog in this fight", so to speak. You have some personal history with this situation and it didn't go well. Yes, agreed that we all went to different schools, etc. So what's odd to you isn't so odd to someone else - agreed? Yeah. Anyway, here's the thing: Indiana has a definite housed v. unhoused mentality. Many other campuses do as well. People like to point at Stanford but let me tell you that the housed/unhoused stigma exists there too. It's just a little more subtle. Because:Stanford. I hope TPA will use the time wisely to settle on a permanent location. I also want that result for the other unhoused chapters.

FWIW I put people on my ignore list and my life is calmer as a result. Try it, you might like it. OTOH maybe you like the conflict? I don't know! Personally I find it much more satisfying to just keep on walking by.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

On a different note, my son was a member of this chapter. Recently their alumns spent a great deal of time and money remodelling the house; I
hear it was beautiful. I was greatly saddened to hear that some of the "boys" in this Chapter trashed the house in retaliation. I am confident that Theta Phi Alpha will respect these facilities and am happy to hear that a sorority is likely moving in.

Last edited by bklexi; 02-19-2017 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-20-2017, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm fairly certain that the plan is for TPA to end up with their own sorority house in the not terribly distant future. Hopefully we will see the capital campaign starting soon.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glittergal1985 View Post
I'm fairly certain that the plan is for TPA to end up with their own sorority house in the not terribly distant future. Hopefully we will see the capital campaign starting soon.
Exciting to hear! Hope all goes well with the campaign.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Exciting to hear! Hope all goes well with the campaign.
Ditto! And may other chapters have equal opportunity for housing!!!!!