GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,123
3 members and 2,120 guests
3DGator, zashlytopo8836
Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmanhattan View Post
I've heard through the grapevine that Delta Gamma will be colonizing at the University of Alabama in the next 2 years. Does anyone have any information about this? Confirmation? Anything?
If it's not on Anchors Online, I would consider it to be rumor until noted otherwise.
http://www.deltagamma.org/new_sites.shtml

In other news, that Pi Phi house looks really beautiful (from Page 1)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-05-2007, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

It seems like the range of size of sororities is weirdly big.

I don't have many campuses to compare it to, but it seems like at UGA (or any of the ones I've ever looked up) there are always a couple of lower outliers in the size range, but generally there's a big group whose sizes essentially reflect a number close to what quota has been for the last four years, minus 5 or 10%.

But at Alabama, it looks like the range is like 50 girls from the biggest group to the groups at the lower end of the big clump. What's up with that?
Old 03-05-2007, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

It also seems weird that you can't tell what quota was by the number of pledges.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphagamuga View Post
It also seems weird that you can't tell what quota was by the number of pledges.
Alabama has "free" juniors and seniors-- you can pick up as many during rush and they don't count toward quota.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool! Thanks for the info.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Gamma left the University of Alabama about thirty years ago.

The magnificent old grandfather clock that used to sit in the foyer of the former chapter house now sits in DG national headquarters in Columbus, Ohio.

Bama is not an easy place for a group that would be seen as newcomers, although we came on there back in the 40's, I believe.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

And I may be wrong, but the groups who have never been on campus don't seem to have any chapters close by, making it less likely, it seems to me, to have good alumnae support compared to some of the other chapters who came and left.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Does anyone here go to Bama, or live near the University?
Old 03-11-2007, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

banditone,

My daughter is a DZ at the University of Alabama living on campus at the new Lakeside dormitory. Can I answer a question for you? She keeps me informed of DZ happenings all the time.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bamagphibgirlie
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommamagnolia View Post
Alabama has "free" juniors and seniors-- you can pick up as many during rush and they don't count toward quota.
Yes it is true, that they do not count towards normal quota, however there is a special upperclassmen quota which is utilized, quota last year for upperclassmen was like 5.

Also I am not sure about these rumors, Al Panhel just upped house total to like somewhere in the 200s, before recolonizing either DG or SK they have to make sure that all the houses are close to total.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I was looking at the AL Panhellenic site and it seems that there was a vite to raise house total in November to 180 - did it end up getting raised to higher than this? According to the Fall 06 grade report, there are 4 of the 15 groups under total. Several groups have numbers in the 220's!!! Two of them are within 14 of this new total and two more of them are much further under total. My question is... do you think they'll wait for all four groups to get to total? My thought is that maybe wait and let the two groups who are close get to total... but the other two groups are smaller than the next smaller by more than double (ex: 12, 85, and the next group has 166...) One more slightly random question... how big of a new member class do you think a colonizing sorority would have to take be to be competitive???

PS: Coming from a campus where total is 60 and that's considered HUGE, these numbers seem outrageous to me!
Old 03-27-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangers View Post
how big of a new member class do you think a colonizing sorority would have to take be to be competitive???
The number of new members would have little to do with whether or not the new chapter would be considered competitive.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:37 AM
GreekChat Member

So what I meant was not competitive, but more... stable? I know tradition and reputation have a lot to do with success at a school like that, but what I was asking is more "What would the ideal beginning be for an organization colonizing?"
Old 03-28-2007, 08:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangers View Post
So what I meant was not competitive, but more... stable? I know tradition and reputation have a lot to do with success at a school like that, but what I was asking is more "What would the ideal beginning be for an organization colonizing?"
Generally, you like to start a colony that is either at Chapter Total or the Average Chapter Size, whichever is the larger. Sometimes a group may opt to take less than that. It just depends.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm probably in the minority, but I think it would be nice to see a non-tradtional SEC sorority make it at Bama. Something for those women who aren't Southern Belles, groomed for rush since birth.
Closed Thread