GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,222
2 members and 1,220 guests
JayhawkAOII, Sen's Revenge

Old 07-02-2000, 12:05 AM
TrueGreekLove

Post NPHC BGLO's how do you feel about non NPHC BGLO's

I have noticed other sororities and fraternities out there that call themselves the new greek alliance..how do the members of the NPHC BGLO's feel about this other orgs out there such as A PHI Q etc. etc. Who also have hand signs, calls and participate in step shows as well ???
Old 07-02-2000, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Serenity
Smile

I just need some clarification about your post. Are you saying that Alpha Phi Omega, a service organization, calls themselves A Phi Q's, participate in step shows and have hand signs? If so, is this a relatively new thing?

In college I knew several individuals who pledged APO because it was not a social organization. If you can be in a service organization and a social organization, why would a service organization need to function as a social organization?

Correct me if I am misunderstanding your post!

------------------
Sincerity, Loyalty, Unity
Sigma Lambda Upsilon: Hasta La Muerte!
Old 07-02-2000, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Peace & Love,
To Serenity:
when I pledged Zeta, there were APOs on my campus, an HBCU, and they stepped and had hand signs. This was in 1991. They were also all men and their sister org. was Gamma Sigma Sigma. The were allowed to step at shows but were not eligible to win because they weren't NPHC, much like the band frat and sorority.

To respond to the question on the floor.
I have no ill will toward non-NPHC BLGOs.
If it is your desire to serve the community, then so be it. As long as you join for the right reasons and stay committed, I don't have a problem with you.
SapphireSensation
13-ThB-91
DMZDiva
Old 07-02-2000, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Serenity
Talking

Thanks SapphireSensation!

Wow! I thought this may have been a new thing. (I graduated in 1994). On my campus, APO was co-ed and strictly service only. It wasn't considered a BGLO; the members were predominately white. We (SLU) did many community service projects with them. I wonder if their function changes by region or maybe even by chapter. Is that possible with service organizations?

------------------
Sincerity, Loyalty, Unity
Sigma Lambda Upsilon: Hasta La Muerte!

[This message has been edited by Serenity (edited July 02, 2000).]
Old 07-02-2000, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Arrow

when i was in school (hbcu) we a apo's and they stepped, had calls and had line names. when ever we had step shows there was a greek part and a non greek part.
Old 07-06-2000, 03:07 PM

Exclamation

To all: see my post on the "PFA vs. NPHC..." thread on this topic.

At some HBCU's A-Phi-O has been calling themselves "A-Phi-Q" for a while, at least 15 years anyway!!

APO & GSS ARE NOT BGLO's. Period. Not on a national basis, at least.
Old 07-07-2000, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
Exclamation

Since this discussion has begun to center around Alpha Phi Omega/A Phi Q, I found it only fitting for me to put in my $19.25.

I pledged Alpha Phi Omega in 1992 and presently serve as an alumni brother. While I did not pledge at an HBCU, my pledging was very similar (the chapter was an all-black-male chapter).

Yes, the "A-Phi-Qs" step, has hand signs and calls, etc. We also recognize Gamma Sigma Sigma as our sister sorority (the "mainstream" brothers by & large do not).

I say all that to say this: I wholeheartedly commend the members of Pan Hell GLOs who respect and treat brothers from non-Pan-Hell GLOs, be it black (Gamma Phi Eta, Phi Delta Psi, Xi Gamma Phi, Delta Psi Epsilon), or mainstream (Alpha Phi Omega, Gamma Sigma Sigma, Kappa Kappa Psi, Tau Beta Sigma, Phi Mu Alpha).

While I do not personally have any beef with members of any of the Pan Hell GLOs (I am treated like family locally), I have came to the conclusion that based on prior experience (reading numerous guestbooks, chat room debates, personal discussions, etc), the NPHC as a whole tends to have a very ****y, aloof, arrogant, and sometimes beaugarde-ish (sp?) attitude when it comes to dealing with non-NPHC GLOs (An exception to this case would be Iota Phi Theta; IMHO Iota having dealt with similar experiences prior to being an NPHC member may have humbled them significantly. And this disrespect sickens me to the Nth degree. No one GLO is superior to another. I have been to social functions hosted by and primarily for non NPHC members where an NPHC org would show up and just start beaugardeing the brothers/sisters. Fights may not start, but tension was definately in the air.

Currently there is another Black Greek Council called the National Greek Alliance (NGA), but I don't think it will be as big as the NPHC on a grand scale. The consensus of most of the member orgs pretty much share my aforementioned concern. The common denominator on all these orgs founding was that they didn't agree with what the NPHC orgs on campus were doing at the time

Don't get me wrong. I support all NPHC organizations and their purposes. I plan on joining an alumni chapter of a NPHC org someday, so I am not anti-NPHC. I am anti-arrogant-attitude-that-comes-from-NPHC.

Thank you to all those who have showed me and my frat & other fraternities and sororities like us love. It was not in vain.

I'm outta here

Da Rain Man

"To business, to business, to business...."

-A very tipsy Alex Trebek on the last
episode of High Rollers (6/20/80)

Old 07-07-2000, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Rainman,
I am sorry to hear about your experiences in a negative manner. I can understand what you are saying because we as NPHC organizations sometimes beaugarde each other. Most times its just in fun, but it sometimes ends up in violence.

I know alot people who feel like "The Divine Nine" are as diverse as it should get. That might be why they appear to be arrongant or pompous.

I will say that I commend anyone for starting something new. I say the more the merrier. I will hope that there is a limit at some point though.
Old 07-09-2000, 03:56 PM
sugahbee

Wink

OK, I am confused because at my school Alpha Phi Omega is a business fraternity. I am a member of Alpha PI Omega Sorority, Inc.--which is the 1st Native American Sorority in the nation. Although we aren't an african-american organziation, we have our own call and hand sign, but we don't step. As with all other greek organizations I'm sure, our call and our signs have sacred meanings that promote the sisterhood. We also have an organization on our campus that has a call, line names, line numbers, and probates, but they aren't an NPHC organization. Just wanted to inform a little!

Spr 00
Alpha chapter--Alpha Pi Omega Sorority, Inc.
Old 07-09-2000, 05:01 PM
sugahbee

Red face

Oops! I meant to say in my earlier reply that there is an organization on our campus that probates, has line names, etc; just to clarify!
Old 07-10-2000, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

Tell me straight out if I'm not supposed to know, but what is a Probate? The only thing that comes to mind for me is something having to do with Estate Law.
Old 07-10-2000, 07:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaChiGirl:
Tell me straight out if I'm not supposed to know, but what is a Probate? The only thing that comes to mind for me is something having to do with Estate Law.
A probate is a 'coming out show' for the neos (new members). It's the day that the organization presents their neos to the rest of the the world.

ZetaAce
Old 07-10-2000, 10:05 AM
Artimis

ZetaAce: Thanks for the defintion, i was also wondering what probate was.

sugahbee: Does your sorority have a website. I'd be interested in learning more about it. What university is it founded at.
Old 07-10-2000, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I don't personally have a problem with other BGLO's out there. I didn't know there were any others besides the Eight Elite now the Divine Nine until later on. BGLO's do some interesting and fun things so it does not susprise me when others start their own groups and imitate certain traditionally NPHC characterisitics. It would concern me if they were using the same or very similiar calls, colors etc as one of our own. But i think most are respectful enough not to go there. And it does concern me when someone's founding is based on downing or complaining about another organization's susposed flaws (instead of just saying you wanted to start your own group, why join a group when you can be your own founders) One chapter at your school may have turned you off by their actions/attitudes but it does not represent the entire organization (but that always seems to be the excuse used). And i have yet to see another frat/sorority founded after the first eight do anything innovative or better then those that went before them and paved the way. They all do community service (should), use calls, signs, colors, nothing new under the sun. The Divine Nine has a long and prestigious history that current members continue to add to. Therefore i doubt very seriously if any of our members are/should be that concerned about the newer groups sprouting up as long as they are not disrespecting our history and hard work as we should respect theirs. We've got plenty to do to keep us busy if we are indeed about the business.
Old 07-10-2000, 05:01 PM
sugahbee

Cool

Artimis,

Thanx for your interest, I'd be happy to share our website address to you. Its www.unc.edu/student/orgs/apiomega. If you have any trouble just go to the UNC website and look up Greek Affairs and you'll be able to find us. At this webpage we have link to our national website and some other chapter websites as well. Feel free to look! Oh, we were founded at UNC-Chapel Hill.

Sugahbee