GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,596
0 members and 2,596 guests
No Members online

Old 08-29-2004, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BabyP
Incoming Freshmen

How does NPC get incoming freshmen and some transfer students to come to their "rush week"? Lets say someone new on campus, how would they know what to do/where to go, especially for those who are shy to approach a sister's booth. I honestly didnt even know that NPC had a formal rush week. I had thought they rushed seperately. I was up in the Student Activities office and I saw the paper for NPC rush week....curious....I picked it up and thats when I found out about Rush Week. I felt pretty stupid that I didnt know about it.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-29-2004, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

at my school they set up a booth at all of the orientation sessions, and they send fliers out to incoming freshmen.

"We are who we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut
Old 08-29-2004, 06:18 PM
peanutttu

Quote:
Originally posted by lyrica9
at my school they set up a booth at all of the orientation sessions, and they send fliers out to incoming freshmen.
its done the same way at tech. freshman/transfer student orientation is usually a 2-3 day long weekend. it is very informative and gives students an opportunity to learn all about different student organizations, including Greek Life.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:38 PM

Back in the day, when my school had immediate fall formal recruitment, it was pretty easy. On the first full day that freshmen were on campus, they were gathered for a class picture, followed by a motivational speaker , addresses from the Panhel and IFC presidents, and the official kickoff of rush. From there, men went off to various fraternities; women went to Women's Convocation, where they learned about their options - sororities and independent living groups (think coed fraternities) - then they could proceed to sorority rush or visit ILGs as they so chose. There was literally nothing to do for a few days except rush.

Now that my school has deferred recruitment, I don't know what is done to get the word out.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't most colleges require you attend some kind of orientation session? As a freshmen that was the time you registered for classes as well as get information on student activities.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

At my school, incoming students received a direct mail brochure about Greek Life; also during orientations the Recruitment Exec from Panhellenic would make a presentation to the students. And Greek Life would also be included in a clubs and activities fair the new students would attend during orientation to learn more about opportunities to join the different student life organizations on campus. And of course, the dates would be advertised online, in the school paper, on our electronic billboard on campus, etc...
Old 08-29-2004, 11:53 PM

Our school has rush Sept. 11th-19th. When the freshmen arrive, the PX's do Move- In in the freshman dorms. All the NPC's do Go Greek chalk ALL OVER campus. There is a Go Greek display in our student center. The greeks come out BIG TIME for Blast Off (our student org fair), wear letters, meet girls, and sign them up for rush. There is also a greek info night in sept as rush gets closer.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BabyP
I didnt go to orientation. i didnt need it lol....... I also said I couldnt move in dorms due to culture reasons so I was excused from living dorms which kind of made school happy because they had too many people in dorms and they had to deny some people. so I guess thats why I never got that exposure as well as the transfer students. I dont think they mail you greek/student org information at my school but I could be wrong.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Greeks are NOT allowed to cotnact frosh before they begin classes where I went. There is a lot of work being done to try and change it, however, our system is pretty fragmented. We flyer like trees are plentiful, wear letters and host great parties to get the word our...ahh life would've been so much easier during RUSH (aka all year) if we'd been allowed some help. (we had defered rush)