GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,340
0 members and 1,340 guests
No Members online

Old 03-29-2008, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't attend Alabama (Go Cats!) but I have family and friends who did and pledged. As such, this advice is general in nature, but applicable to IFC rush at SEC schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG4evah View Post
My question is what do we need to do to get him ready for this? How competitive is it?.
IFC rush at Alabama can be competitive. However, there is not an IFC quota or campus total. So chapters may pledge as many men as they want. And his attending the IFC recruitment weekend should be a good start.

Quote:
We have lots of friends here from Bama, since I'm in Mobile; do I go ahead and contact them for rec. letters before this recruitment weekend in April or can I wait until the summer to do these?
No. Your son does not need them before/during the IFC recruitment weekend.

My suggestion is that after your son attends the recruitment weekend, he should narrow his selection to maybe five or six chapters (less is ok) and start researching those fraternities. If he can get a recommendation for any of the chapters, fine. If not, he should not worry about it.

By signing up for the IFC recruitment weekend, your son should be on an IFC master list that every chapter will have access to regarding their Summer Rush parties. However, if there are sign up lists at the chapters, then he should get his name on the list as well. This is when the real rushing begins.

Quote:
Do rec letters matter anymore?
Generally speaking, recommendations are not needed. However, it doesn't hurt to have one - or a letter of introduction - for the few chapters your son may be interested in.

Please remember that this is *not* NPC recruitment and that recommendations are rare. As such, a recommendation should come from someone who knows your son personally and or knows the family well.

If that is not the case, then the alum can send an introduction letter. While similar to a recommendation, a letter of introduction serves to give the chapter a "heads up" that they might want to take a good look at the guy.

I would also like to point out that some chapters may look down on a rushee that has recommendations to each and every chapter on campus. Chapters like to feel that the person in question is really interested in them. To be clear, that does mot mean your son can not be interested in more than one fraternity. Just that he should attempt to narrow his interest down by Summer Rush and then only have recommendations or introductions sent to those chapters.

Remember that one of the reasons for the IFC recruitment weekend event in April is to help the rushee narrow his choices down before Summer Rush. It is during Summer Rush that the chapters put together the bulk of their fall pledge class.

Quote:
If he joins a fraternity, when does he have to move into their house?
My understanding is that freshmen do not live in at Bama. However, each chapter is different. That is something he should ask while rushing. Also, a bed might open up the second semester. But I would guess there would be plenty of other freshman willing to grab it.

Quote:
So here I am assuming I will need this [recommendation] for certain fraternities, at least. I don't want to bother friends unnecessarily.
Your son should be the one contacting alumni for recommendations. He will be viewed a lot more favorable if he does. You may always say something like this to your friends: "My son is interested in joining a fraternity at Bama. Would you be willing to talk with him about your fraternity?" The point being, your son does not want a chapter receiving some random letter saying "Buba's Momma asked me to send y'all a letter."

If you know any fraternity men who attended Alabama, please ask them for their suggestions. The above advice is general in nature and pretty much applicable for all SEC schools. But each campus is different and each chapter is different.

I hope this helps. And best of luck to your son.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

An Answer!

Thanks Tsteven,

That was exactly what I needed to know! Excellent advice because I'm somewhat a helicopter mom and like to control myself before I do too much!

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 04-05-2008, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Your son should be the one contacting alumni for recommendations. He will be viewed a lot more favorable if he does. You may always say something like this to your friends: "My son is interested in joining a fraternity at Bama. Would you be willing to talk with him about your fraternity?" The point being, your son does not want a chapter receiving some random letter saying "Buba's Momma asked me to send y'all a letter." .
Great advice!