GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,562
2 members and 1,560 guests
MethrenLusia, PGD-GRAD

Old 08-11-2007, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

2007 UGA Recruitment

This is my third try -- lost the first two posts. I'm a newbie with a daughter going through UGA recruitment. I want to start by thanking you all. We have learned so much since stumbling on to this site about two months ago. As a result, she is going in with her eyes open, an open mind, and reasonable expectations. She is an out-of-state freshman, and the adjustment to college life is already going to be difficult for her. We have a close-knit family, and we all went to Athens together to move her in. It was a very emotional day for all of us. She is our second to go off to college, but the first girl. Anyway, we are hoping she will find a great sorority home in Athens to help her with the transition.

Last edited by UGADad; 08-12-2007 at 03:44 PM. Reason: correcting typos
Old 08-11-2007, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

GOOD LUCK!

Best of luck to your daughter!
Old 08-11-2007, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

First Round

I had hoped someone would start a UGA 2007 thread, but since I haven't seen one, I thought I'd get one started while everyone is happy (with no cuts until Monday!). I wish I could do a "recruitment story" for her experience, but I know we'll be lucky to get short calls with little tidbits each day. I'll pass those along. I hope others will as well. Anyway, despite the scorching heat and exhausiting day, she really enjoyed today. They visited 11 of the 18 houses, and they will go to 6 tomorrow (so I guess one sorority isn't participating). She liked almost all the sororities she visited today, and she really loved 5 of them. Of course it is early, and 20 minutes is a short time to find out much about anything, so we'll see how it goes. But the good news is that she really felt good about today.

She has three other friends going through recruitment at UGA, and they all also enjoyed day 1. We'll keep our fingers crossed for all of them.

UGADad

Last edited by UGADad; 08-12-2007 at 03:45 PM. Reason: correcting typos
Old 08-11-2007, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't believe I typed 2008 instead of 2007. I hope a moderator can change the title of the thread for me -- this is about this year's recruitment!
Old 08-11-2007, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to your daughter!!!
Old 08-12-2007, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to minDyG
Yay, a UGA thread!! Keep updating as you get them!
Old 08-12-2007, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to your daughter...and, I take it you're not greek yourself? That's pretty cool...it seems like parents who are greek take it abit easier than those of us who parents aren't greek and don't know...but, I'm glad to hear that you're learning about all of this.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I get such a kick reading parents' threads! I think even more than PNMs'.

Good luck to your daughter UGADad and thanks for sharing!
Old 08-12-2007, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Hooray for UGA recruitment! Good luck to your daughter!
Old 08-12-2007, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNUIGC View Post
Good luck to your daughter...and, I take it you're not greek yourself? That's pretty cool...it seems like parents who are greek take it abit easier than those of us who parents aren't greek and don't know...but, I'm glad to hear that you're learning about all of this.
Thanks to everyone for their kind wishes for our daughter. We haven't heard from her yet today -- I hope she'll check in with us tonight. SNUIGC -- both her mother and I were in GLOs, but our college experience was in the late 70s, at a school that is somewhere to the northeast of Athens (enough said for now). The school was large with lots of GLOs, but rush was much more mutual selection than it apparently is at Georgia. You got to know people and then you joined a fratrernity or sorority with friends. We had never heard of recs. Our son is a college junior and he is in a fraternity, also at a university somewhere to the northeast of Athens.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

UGA recruitment

As an alumni at one if UGA's sororities (from another school), I didn't realize how drastically things had changed in 25 years. We were never told that recs were so important, quite the contrary! Otherwise I could have had several friends write on my daughter's behalf, even though they hadn't seen her since she was 5 or 6. We assumed (wrongly I now realize), that it was all about personalities that clicked and common interests. I live in the Atlanta area, and Sunday morning there was an article on UGA's rush mentioning specially ordered designer clothes and stacks of recs - my daughter isn't like that at all! She's very down to earth, quiet and unpretentious, but a great sense of humor, wonderful personality, and the best, most loyal friend anyone could hope to have (OK, maybe I'm a little biased!) Despite the article, we thought she would at least find one house where there were similar girls who would be interested in her for herself. Today she called to let me know she only got 2 invites back, and one was to my sorority, which has a policy to invite all legacies back to one party. Still, she was very upbeat, not taking it too seriously, just having a good time. Well, tonight an officer from my sorority called me to break the news that she's being released. I'm so sad. I doubt she'll be invited back to the other one either, because, like I said, she's somewhat quiet and reserved. I know she'll be OK, she has the ability to see the bright side of things much more so than me. I just can't stand to think of what the rejection will feel like away from home not knowing many people, and then when the other girls get their bids...I had so wanted to share the great experience I had in college with her, she has brothers but always wanted a sister...Sorry this is such a long,sad post, but I needed to vent, Hubby wasn't greek and thinks the whole thing is BS.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless also View Post
As an alumni at one if UGA's sororities (from another school), I didn't realize how drastically things had changed in 25 years. We were never told that recs were so important, quite the contrary! Otherwise I could have had several friends write on my daughter's behalf, even though they hadn't seen her since she was 5 or 6. We assumed (wrongly I now realize), that it was all about personalities that clicked and common interests. I live in the Atlanta area, and Sunday morning there was an article on UGA's rush mentioning specially ordered designer clothes and stacks of recs - my daughter isn't like that at all! She's very down to earth, quiet and unpretentious, but a great sense of humor, wonderful personality, and the best, most loyal friend anyone could hope to have (OK, maybe I'm a little biased!) Despite the article, we thought she would at least find one house where there were similar girls who would be interested in her for herself. Today she called to let me know she only got 2 invites back, and one was to my sorority, which has a policy to invite all legacies back to one party. Still, she was very upbeat, not taking it too seriously, just having a good time. Well, tonight an officer from my sorority called me to break the news that she's being released. I'm so sad. I doubt she'll be invited back to the other one either, because, like I said, she's somewhat quiet and reserved. I know she'll be OK, she has the ability to see the bright side of things much more so than me. I just can't stand to think of what the rejection will feel like away from home not knowing many people, and then when the other girls get their bids...I had so wanted to share the great experience I had in college with her, she has brothers but always wanted a sister...Sorry this is such a long,sad post, but I needed to vent, Hubby wasn't greek and thinks the whole thing is BS.
I hate that this happens. Everytime I read a thread that starts with "I didn't know we needed recs" and I see it is for a school with a competitive rush, I just get a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Clueless Also, I am so sorry for you and for your daughter.

I wish there was some way to put together and send out information to each PNM and their parents that honestly addressed things like recs. I hate that people either don't know or that they've been given bad information.

UGA Panhellenic, if you are reading, a suggestion for you; let the Baby Dawgs know!
Old 08-14-2007, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

www.atlantapanhellenic.org

This site was mentioned in another thread. They say they help girls get recs.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Ziegler View Post
www.atlantapanhellenic.org

This site was mentioned in another thread. They say they help girls get recs.
We help local girls from the southern crescent area of Atlanta (Fayette, Coweta, Henry, Clayton and South Fulton) get recs - this year we handled 39requests and about 25% of them were very last-minute. Many moms said they believed what they had been told at the panhel recruitment orientation meetings (for UGA, Georgia Southern, GC&SU, etc) - e.g. that recs were not needed.
www.ascapa.org
We hold an annual sorority info session too - we call it "Afternoon with Athena." We are very fortunate to have the beautiful Phi Mu Hqtrs right here in town - they let us use their training area which is just perfect!
Old 08-14-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnMom View Post
I hate that this happens. Everytime I read a thread that starts with "I didn't know we needed recs" and I see it is for a school with a competitive rush, I just get a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Clueless Also, I am so sorry for you and for your daughter.

I wish there was some way to put together and send out information to each PNM and their parents that honestly addressed things like recs. I hate that people either don't know or that they've been given bad information.
I'll never for the life of me understand why the Panhellenics at schools like LSU, UGA, and Bama continue to tell PNMs (and their parents) that "recs aren't neccessary" or that "the sororities are responsible for securing a rec for you."

To try and give the PNMs some insight, I made this post in the Recommendation Caution to PNMs thread about recs at competitive schools:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...8&postcount=95

Lakers Nation.