GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,339
0 members and 1,339 guests
No Members online

Old 07-08-2013, 03:26 PM

3 weeks! You were living on the edge.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

We just got a save-the-date for the wedding of one of my husband's good friends. It's a Monday. In June. In the Outer Banks (we live in PA). And we'll have a 13-month-old by then that we're not sure will be included on the invite. Oh, and I can't stand the bride's sister.

Well this will be fun...
Old 08-05-2013, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
We were chit chatting about weddings in the lunchroom and I mentioned that the next 5 will require plane ticket as well as gifts. 2 people suggested that I don't buy gifts since my presence is enough

(For the record, I am not accepting that advice)
Old 08-27-2013, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I’m not sure if I’m looking for advice or just to vent but I’ve recently encountered some interesting wedding drama. I mentioned some of this before and I’m leaving out some details for digression, so sorry if it’s hard to follow.

My husband’s friend is getting married this year. It is not a close friend and frankly it was a situation where he was kind of obligated to invite him—but he’s a nice guy so no biggy. He and his fiancé came to the wedding. I’ve known the fiancé for many years. She is two years younger than me so while we were never friends I had plenty of encounters with her due to high school activities. I never minded her but she has sort of a reputation of being a snob and my friends never liked her.

So I get an invite to her wedding shower. I thought this was odd because for my wedding shower my family, Mr. LP’s family and my close friends were the only ones invited. I did not invite my husband’s friends’ significant others. I knew some of them, but not well enough and felt it would be awkward. Needless to say I felt a bit uncomfortable about this shower invite. Fortunately for me something came up though and I RSVP’d before the deadline that I was not able to attend. My friends (the ones that don’t like the bride) told me not to send a gift, but I did. I didn’t think it would be right not to.

Fast forward to closer to the wedding date. My mom owns a company that provides a service that is something you would definitely want to hire for a wedding. I won’t get into the nitty gritty details of this connection for political reasons, but mother of the groom has as a connection to my mother’s company. She asks my mom’s manager if they can get a deal if the wedding party uses their service. My mom & the manager agree. A few days later, mother of the groom calls to back out because “bride does not care for one of the employees”. The employee in question is a young woman who also went to our high school and was in the same grade as the bride. Apparently there’s bitterness, that GOD FORBID we get over even though we’re adults now. I obviously don’t know the details but as I mentioned the bride has a reputation…

My mom is understandably disgruntled about this—it was a big wedding party and would be good business for them. It’s not like this employee would necessarily be directly involved in the brides services. I know there’s literally nothing that can be done, but I’m just annoyed.

I am now happy that I am not going to the wedding (too much for both of us to fly in, but he still would like to go). I kind of wish my husband wasn’t going either.

By the way, I never got a thank you note for the shower gift My friends are REALLY pushing for no wedding gift now lol While I just can’t bring myself to do that, the gift will be smaller than originally planned.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
I’m not sure if I’m looking for advice or just to vent but I’ve recently encountered some interesting wedding drama. I mentioned some of this before and I’m leaving out some details for digression, so sorry if it’s hard to follow.

My husband’s friend is getting married this year. It is not a close friend and frankly it was a situation where he was kind of obligated to invite him—but he’s a nice guy so no biggy. He and his fiancé came to the wedding. I’ve known the fiancé for many years. She is two years younger than me so while we were never friends I had plenty of encounters with her due to high school activities. I never minded her but she has sort of a reputation of being a snob and my friends never liked her.

So I get an invite to her wedding shower. I thought this was odd because for my wedding shower my family, Mr. LP’s family and my close friends were the only ones invited. I did not invite my husband’s friends’ significant others. I knew some of them, but not well enough and felt it would be awkward. Needless to say I felt a bit uncomfortable about this shower invite. Fortunately for me something came up though and I RSVP’d before the deadline that I was not able to attend. My friends (the ones that don’t like the bride) told me not to send a gift, but I did. I didn’t think it would be right not to.

Fast forward to closer to the wedding date. My mom owns a company that provides a service that is something you would definitely want to hire for a wedding. I won’t get into the nitty gritty details of this connection for political reasons, but mother of the groom has as a connection to my mother’s company. She asks my mom’s manager if they can get a deal if the wedding party uses their service. My mom & the manager agree. A few days later, mother of the groom calls to back out because “bride does not care for one of the employees”. The employee in question is a young woman who also went to our high school and was in the same grade as the bride. Apparently there’s bitterness, that GOD FORBID we get over even though we’re adults now. I obviously don’t know the details but as I mentioned the bride has a reputation…

My mom is understandably disgruntled about this—it was a big wedding party and would be good business for them. It’s not like this employee would necessarily be directly involved in the brides services. I know there’s literally nothing that can be done, but I’m just annoyed.

I am now happy that I am not going to the wedding (too much for both of us to fly in, but he still would like to go). I kind of wish my husband wasn’t going either.

By the way, I never got a thank you note for the shower gift My friends are REALLY pushing for no wedding gift now lol While I just can’t bring myself to do that, the gift will be smaller than originally planned.
The rule I grew up with is that only one gift is necessary for an invited couple, and it can be given at a shower or the wedding. And while a thank you gift should have been sent immediately, brides are given additional time to send thank you notes.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
The rule I grew up with is that only one gift is necessary for an invited couple, and it can be given at a shower or the wedding. And while a thank you gift should have been sent immediately, brides are given additional time to send thank you notes.
How much time do you think is fair? It's been 6 months since the shower. IMO, I think we're just getting to the end of the window of when you should send them.

I did my shower thank yous in about a month and my wedding thank yous in less than 3.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
I think I mentioned somewhere in this thread my friends who registered for really really really expensive things. It was ridiculous--lululemon pants? A $1,200 espresso machine? I'm sure it was a way to get cash instead of gifts but it was really transparent (then again, he's a doctor who chainsmokes so maybe they have a few screws loose).

Non-traditional stuff is fine. For example, one of my friends registered for camping stuff since they were outdoorsy. That's totally fine--I'd rather pay $100 for something that I know they're going to love and use instead of a way for them to get cash in a sneaky way.
Bump!

This couple now has a 1-month old. Their registry included a Burberry coat!
Old 09-03-2013, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

WTF
Old 09-05-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Bump!

For the kidlet? Seriously?

I must be getting old because this is insanity...
Old 09-06-2013, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
3 weeks! You were living on the edge.
LOL I just noticed this. Is that shorter than normal? It worked pretty well for us--cause its not like everyone listened anyway!
Old 09-06-2013, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Bump!

Please tell me that no one indulged the couple and bought this.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
LOL I just noticed this. Is that shorter than normal? It worked pretty well for us--cause its not like everyone listened anyway!
6 weeks is standard. I always suggest 8 to budget for the "no one listens" factor. A lot of this depends on your venue, too. If someone says 3 weeks, then a lot of times, you run up against whatever deadline your venue has for final headcounts (like they want a headcount and you only have half of your RSVPs in.)

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Just got my save the dates in the mail and they are amazing. If anyone needs wedding stationary, Minted is great to work with.

The dilemma: Fiance and I don't live together and so I was at a loss what to do for our return addresses. I decided to use our names + my address.
How much of a faux pas would it be to use labels or a stamp for the return address? It wouldn't be a standard label; I would probably order from etsy.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
6 weeks is standard. I always suggest 8 to budget for the "no one listens" factor. A lot of this depends on your venue, too. If someone says 3 weeks, then a lot of times, you run up against whatever deadline your venue has for final headcounts (like they want a headcount and you only have half of your RSVPs in.)
Ah--I think the bolded has a lot to do with it. We needed the final final headcount 3 days prior.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliebelle View Post
Just got my save the dates in the mail and they are amazing. If anyone needs wedding stationary, Minted is great to work with.

The dilemma: Fiance and I don't live together and so I was at a loss what to do for our return addresses. I decided to use our names + my address.
How much of a faux pas would it be to use labels or a stamp for the return address? It wouldn't be a standard label; I would probably order from etsy.
I think a stamp or a label is fine. Depending on the size of your wedding, I wouldn't want to write my address 100+ times.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot