GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,714
0 members and 1,714 guests
No Members online

Old 03-27-2004, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Was she not born a citizen? I think the foreign born law applies to those as a non-citizen doesn't it?

IF Honeychile is born to her american Parents while oversease, Honeychile can still be president right?

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
Teresa Heinz Kerry was born in Africa, in Mozambique.

As I said before, I had the same problem when Sen. John Heinz was interested in the White House.

James, have you forgotten the much touted "Two for the price of one!" campaign?
Old 03-27-2004, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a democrat (I know, you're shocked!) but I voted for a republican candidate for Illinois governor once -- George Ryan instead of the democratic candidate Glen Poshard. I don't remember the exact reason, but I do recall thinking that Poshard was more conservative than Ryan, especially concerning gun control and abortion. Of course I think what George Ryan did with the death penalty was wonderful, so I'm happy I voted for him.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
i know this is way off topic- but i heard soemthing about schwarzeneggar trying to change legislation so he could run/ become president... is this true?
Old 03-27-2004, 02:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by AlethiaSi
i know this is way off topic- but i heard soemthing about schwarzeneggar trying to change legislation so he could run/ become president... is this true?
No Arnold has no power to change something like that. Another politician introduced it an Arnold said he thinks he'd support it.

-Rudey
Old 03-27-2004, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
If Laura Bush was born in another country would some of you still have a problem of her being first lady?
Old 03-27-2004, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The1calledTKE
If Laura Bush was born in another country would some of you still have a problem of her being first lady?
LOL, it would be easy for people to say "Yes! I'd still have a problem!" since it's not the case.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:27 PM
ADPiZXalum

Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaDG
I would have to say if Republicans became pro-choice, pro-gun control, anti-death penalty, and anti-Laissez Faire economics, I might switch.
If the Republicans ever became those things, I'd be a Democrat then, or if Hillary converted, I might leave.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by James
Was she not born a citizen? I think the foreign born law applies to those as a non-citizen doesn't it?

IF Honeychile is born to her american Parents while oversease, Honeychile can still be president right?
I think that's right. As I recall, if you have at least one American parent, no matter where you're born, you are an Ameican citizen with all of the rights of any American.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I don't see the big deal about a First Lady who was born outside of the United States.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ADPiZXalum
If the Republicans ever became those things, I'd be a Democrat then, or if Hillary converted, I might leave.
Boy, oh boy am I with you on that one!
(We WILL see Hillary...and sooner than we want. God help us.)

I might convert if the Dems quit supporting issues, that for me, are morally repugnant.

Honestly, if the Dems were more toward the center, I could easily change if I was unimpressed with the Republican candidate or the Republicans quit helping those that REALLY need help!
Old 03-27-2004, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by James

If her parents had been American, yes, she would enjoy dual citizenship. But since they weren't, she was born a citizen of Mozambique.

She is a naturalized American.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by The1calledTKE
Yes. I'm not sure how many times I have to say this, but I have a problem with the FIRST LADY of the UNITED STATES not being born IN the United States.

You are free to call me narrow or inflexible about this, but that's how I feel. This was a HUGE thing in PA when John Heinz first ran for Senator (my parents were on his campaign), and it was a HUGE hurdle that only his being a Heinz was able to overcome!
Old 03-27-2004, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

You know honeychile, I never gave this much thought-never HAD to. But if I lean one way, I have to agree with you. I'm a bit of an isolationist...I'm damn PROUD to be American. I want my First Lady to be an American too!

The first lady represents all of us in matters that don't grab headlines everytime, but the role is as much or as little as "she" wants it to be. They don't come up with cliche's without reason and the "Power behind the throne" has to come from somewhere.
Many a corporate wife would support this statement.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justamom
Boy, oh boy am I with you on that one!
(We WILL see Hillary...and sooner than we want. God help us.)

I might convert if the Dems quit supporting issues, that for me, are morally repugnant.

Honestly, if the Dems were more toward the center, I could easily change if I was unimpressed with the Republican candidate or the Republicans quit helping those that REALLY need help!
I'll second all of that...
Old 03-27-2004, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justamom
You know honeychile, I never gave this much thought-never HAD to. But if I lean one way, I have to agree with you. I'm a bit of an isolationist...I'm damn PROUD to be American. I want my First Lady to be an American too!
My dad was born in Lithuania but he is just as much of an American as you or I am.