GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,829
2 members and 1,827 guests
zjhnpetrovo7362

Old 03-26-2004, 12:48 PM
Banned

What would make you switch parties?

What issue would make you vote for the other candidate?

For me I would move very quickly depending on Bush's support for anti-terrorism and his moves in the middle east. Additionally I find issues such as alternate fuel sources and lower spending to be second on that list to me but still important.

-Rudey
Old 03-26-2004, 08:53 PM

I dont know...........I'll have to think about that one......I was raised a republican, I'm a registered republican.....I intend to vote republican in this election.

I cant say I'll always vote republican, but I can say odds are slim to none with regards to me voting for a democrat. But that's just my opinion folks........one issue(being the environment) isnt enough for me to switch over.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

I was the youngest delegate to the 19** Democratic National Convention. I was being groomed for a political office, and was in on a LOT of the "smoke-filled rooms" (which are actually trailers in this day & age). Anyhow, I wasn't naive, I knew what to expect - for the most part. I was surprised, however, that I was expected sign off on the Platform - which contained certain issues that I could not morally support.

I still worked for my candidate, and the White House, but once it was over, I got out of politics. The more I thought about some of the planks, the more I realized that I could NOT be a Democrat and be pro-life.

Unfortunately, I live in a state where being an Independent means not voting in the Primaries. So, I became a Republican - realizing, of course, that No Political Party Has A Monopoly On The Truth!

I'm still a Republican, more because I support the GOP's agenda more than that of the Democratic agenda (and the very thought of a First Lady who wasn't even born in the USA turns my stomach!!).
Old 03-26-2004, 10:04 PM

One of them would have to get a clue.

I think I'll just stay independent and vote for who I think will do the best job instead of the person with the right label.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
She's a wife, she is not holding office. And even important cabinet level positions don't have a born in the USA requirement.

Unless you think it might send a message to American men that we are better off finding foreign born wives? That does seem to be an increasing and happy trend for men.

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile

I'm still a Republican, more because I support the GOP's agenda more than that of the Democratic agenda (and the very thought of a First Lady who wasn't even born in the USA turns my stomach!!).
Old 03-26-2004, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
If George W. Bush or Rush Limbaugh ever switched to the Democratic party I know it would be time to leave it.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by James
She's a wife, she is not holding office. And even important cabinet level positions don't have a born in the USA requirement.

Unless you think it might send a message to American men that we are better off finding foreign born wives? That does seem to be an increasing and happy trend for men.
Gee, James, I am allowed an opinion, aren't I? And my opinion is that the First Lady of the United States should be born in the United States. I'm not expecting this to be a major expose or anything, it's just something that bothers me. And it bothered me when Sen. Heinz was eyeing the White House, too, so it's not a party thing.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

You can have one or two opinions . . but seriously I am curious that why that would bother you. A wife is a non-entity really in the grand scheme of things. I could barely pick the wives out of a line-up when it comes to Presidents.

Quote:
Gee, James, I am allowed an opinion, aren't I? And my opinion is that the First Lady of the United States should be born in the United States. I'm not expecting this to be a major expose or anything, it's just something that bothers me. And it bothered me when Sen. Heinz was eyeing the White House, too, so it's not a party thing.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by James
You can have one or two opinions . . but seriously I am curious that why that would bother you. A wife is a non-entity really in the grand scheme of things. I could barely pick the wives out of a line-up when it comes to Presidents.
If you honestly believe that, you're a lot less political savvy than I was giving you credit for!
Old 03-26-2004, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I would have to say if Republicans became pro-choice, pro-gun control, anti-death penalty, and anti-Laissez Faire economics, I might switch.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you talking about the phenomona of being "Half a PResident"?

Quote:
If you honestly believe that, you're a lot less political savvy than I was giving you credit for!
Old 03-27-2004, 12:41 PM

I have to agree with honeychile about the wife being born in America as well as the President...........I cant explain it but it just bothers me or would bother me if a non-american born President and First Lady were in the White House..........I just have a problem with that sorry.....
Old 03-27-2004, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ThetaPrincess24
I have to agree with honeychile about the wife being born in America as well as the President...........I cant explain it but it just bothers me or would bother me if a non-american born President and First Lady were in the White House..........I just have a problem with that sorry.....
Well, it's impossible for a non-american born President to be in the white house, anyway. I agree with that one. As far as the first lady, I feel like as long as she's a citizen and has been in the US for a considerable amount of time, it's fine. But I understand why you wouldn't want someone who wasn't American-born as first lady, too.

Is Kerry's wife non-American born?? Is that why this conversation came up? I know this is his second wife, but I didn't remember seeing anything about her being from another country.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaDG
Well, it's impossible for a non-american born President to be in the white house, anyway. I agree with that one. As far as the first lady, I feel like as long as she's a citizen and has been in the US for a considerable amount of time, it's fine. But I understand why you wouldn't want someone who wasn't American-born as first lady, too.

Is Kerry's wife non-American born?? Is that why this conversation came up? I know this is his second wife, but I didn't remember seeing anything about her being from another country.
Teresa Heinz Kerry was born in Africa, in Mozambique.

As I said before, I had the same problem when Sen. John Heinz was interested in the White House.

James, have you forgotten the much touted "Two for the price of one!" campaign?
Old 03-27-2004, 01:56 PM
Banned

I'm thinking of flirting with Honeychile so I can marry into a political dynasty.

-Rudey